Bump

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Bump

Post by TheBearclaws »

BlackBrownDog wrote:Something that might be helpful in a "think before you hide" page, would be assembling a list of links to news articles about the multiple times that local law enforcement (rightfully or ridiculously) have brought in the SWAT to blow up some McToys, or other examples of why someone should "think first, hide second." Anyone care to start?
This sounds like a good idea, I'll start with the one from page 1, cheechs is the same incident but on a different site.

Avoid A Bomb Scare - Hide Smart

Caches in view of businesses and customers can cause problems
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Did everyone see this notice in the Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter today?

This Week...

Important Geocache Placement Reminder

Law enforcement personnel around the world are becoming increasingly aware of geocaching and, as such, are reaching out to Groundspeak and the geocaching community for assistance as they work to educate their staff on the activity. The law enforcement officers with whom we have been in contact are appreciative of the help and eager to pass on information to others in their field. They would like to remind geocachers to obtain permission from the land owner or land manager before placing a cache and to choose a placement location that will not cause unnecessary concern. We’d also recommend using clear containers marked as a geocache so that the contents can easily be identified.

An easy way to label your cache is with an official geocache sticker, available at Shop Groundspeak. The stickers have a strong permanent adhesive and are available in three sizes, in both English and German language versions.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Here's a link to a followup forum thread about the Midland Texas bomb scare. A letter from the cacher who was arrested.

Follow-Up

The cacher who was arrested has archived all of his caches.

No more caches.
GeoFlint13
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by GeoFlint13 »

As a hider or a seeker, I couldn't think of a worse situation to be in. That just all around sucks!
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Once again this highlights the reason this discussion was brought here in the first place.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Ok, this type of thing is only going to intensify, so it's time to take action on my caches that may present a problem. I'll have to go thru them all, but to start with, I'm archiving Shot Ski GCJAHQ
after the Feb meet/eat. I'll try to get off work for awhile on that date, but if I can't I'lll ask someone to run out back and snag it. If you haven't hunted it, :cry: and want to , you have about a week to do so.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

That is really scary.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Read this drivel while its still up......

Waco TX
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

"can be dangerous"????
If you look deep enough, anything can be dangerous.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

News Channel 25 found two places where geocaches are currently illegally placed.

"There's always going to be that criminal element out there that's going to take something that's fun, enjoyable to thousands of people and turn it into bad," Anderson said.

Wow, I never considered myself part of the criminal element. I must be a sociopath. :oops:
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

I couldn't help but to chime in on the others comments . They are in denial it seems.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I believe the ONLY way this will be RESOLVED is if the GC.com reviewers redouble their efforts to assure that permission is GRANTED for all caches. I like the idea of identifying the permission granter and maybe including that on the cache page with contact info.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I just did my part. After some soul searching, I decided to archive one of my caches. It was sad to see a cache with 359 finds go. It was in the top 10 for busiest caches in the state of Ohio.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

understand the parking lot skirt lifters...but, let's say SOMEONE used a guardrail on a public street for a recently placed cache........
hmmmm, whose permission should she get?? director of i'll-pass-the-buck-and-just-say-no ?
thought public areas like that were okay...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

This topic was about having a statement on this website that could be referenced in various ways to help guide people in making wise decisions. Since the Steering Committee has this proposal on the agenda and since this topic is straying to other issues, I request that this thread be locked.