3rd largest cemetery in nation has caches disabled.

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

3rd largest cemetery in nation has caches disabled.

Post by T-Hunter »

I had this caceh on my watch list for Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, IN. It is the 3rd largest in the nation with more than 188,000 burials.

They must be having an issue with caches there.

Here is the reviewer note for one cache.

The Mad Reviewer temporarily disabled Indiana Spirit Quest #609 Not That Jefferson Davis (Disabled) (Unknown Cache) GC1AJB1

Log Date: 5/1/2009
Hello,

I am writing to you today to let you know Groundspeak has been contacted by the head of security for the Crown Hill Cemetery.

He is asking that all caches in the cemetery be temporarly disabled and that he be contacted directly. He has provided both a phone number and email address for this purpose. If he is not contacted by the cache owner within two weeks he is asking that we archive the caches.

He is asking that he be shown where the caches are placed and ensure they are properly placed within the cememtery. i.e. not on headstones etc. He is also asking that all future caches be placed with permission only.

Please feel free to contact him directly. His name is John Meredith, jmeredith@crownhill.org

317-714-2648

Thank you for your time and understanding,

The Mad Reviewer

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
TeamAldridge
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: 3rd largest cemetery in nation has caches disabled.

Post by TeamAldridge »

It sounds like they just want to make sure that the caches are appropriate, I'm sure they'll be re-enabled as soon as they're in compliance.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=2226453:2q9eh6pa][img:2q9eh6pa]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=I+bet+it's+under+that+rock!&uid=e941dea9-7c52-41bb-9550-c3e3efe4c73f&bg=1[/img:2q9eh6pa][/url:2q9eh6pa]
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

Right but the point is people need to get permission and make sure they are not by graves and such. I have found a few that were rather close.

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

Sounds like someone in the grounds crew must've found something, this is the time to clean up from the winter. Sounds fairly reasonable though.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

After finding a cache today, PLACED UNDER A HEADSTONE, I see why they disabled those caches. This is ridiculous, It says right in the green print in the description that it is not placed near a grave.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 752b0bb461

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

In looking through the logs, looks like there's cachers out there rehiding it that way themselves. There was one post last year about the container being moved 80 feet from the coords. Here's one from 2007 from the cache owner.

November 26, 2007 by SixDogTeam (1406 found)
Apparently some moron has moved this cache and put it under a tombstone. I'm not allowing any more smilies on this cache until it is moved to a location more appropriate, perhaps one that fits the clue. I don't know when we'll be able to get out here. If you search for this and find it, and want credit, move it, state so in your log and post coords if different...-Lead Dog.
[view this log]

This is a good subject to bring up about rehiding exactly as hidden.
I think we've all found caches put back in places that weren't were they originally were. But lots of times we just don't know if this location was the right place. If the cache is in a questionable spot, email the cache owner. If they're new, they may not know.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

There was NOTHING in that cemetery to hide a container of ANY size in. Just because there is a cemetery someplace doesn't mean there has to be a geocache there.

yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

My first cache was hidden under some wood limbs near a tomb stone but some time later it was moved to a pile of tomb stones and was hidden under one. I'd believe the farmer or land owner done this to make mowing easier.
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Every old cemetery has those piles of stones at the back of the cemetery that are not near a grave. Mostly, it's ones that have broken sometime in the past and the original location has been lost to history. The piles I have seen have usually been in a back corner or near a maintenance shed. I don't believe caches near those are a problem. Caches near an actual grave are the problem...