Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx/60CSx/76Cx/76CSx info & discussion

Discussion about anything geocaching tech related! GPS Units, PDA's, Paperless Caching, etc. (For NWOGEO web issues, please use "Website Related Forums".)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx/60CSx/76Cx/76CSx info & discussio

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

OrangeDawg wrote:I have a GPSMAP 60 CX...I am looking into purchasing City Navigator, the guy at Cabelas said I can use City Navigator V8 (P/N 010-10474-00) The back of the package does not list my GPSr. I understand the City Navigator NT is the same software but different file compression. Does anyone know if this will work with my unit. Thanks for the input!
O.D.

Edit: Looks like I may go with the NT, the new file structure supposedly saves alot of space. Is this true for you guys using it?
I wrote a long reply and it got lost. Then I wrote a 3 word reply, which I am replacing with this!

Yes City Navigator V8 will work. That is what several of us are using now. One reason that some of us are not using the NT version, is that it is relatively new.

Another reason that is that they do not yet offer NT as part of the "Auto navigation kit", which currently includes City Navigator V8, a power cable, two mounts, and a bracket. 010-10458-00 for $216 MSRP, and street prices as low as $145. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1008

So if you want NT and the mounting devices, it will cost you more to buy everything seperately at this point.

Another consideration is that City Navigator 2008 may be available soon. If you visit the map page at the Garmin site http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ , and click on the drop down menu under "MapSource Map Viewer", you will see "City Navigator 2008" as a choice.

However if you go to their page to purchase map software, it is not available yet. I have however found this:

Map Update 2008 City Navigator® North America NT
Part Number: 010-10989-50
Suggested Retail Price: $ 69.99 USD https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10397
The screen shots however look like it is for the NUVI! I am getting confused!

Since the CN license allows you to use it on two GPS units, maybe someone would "share" their copy of CN V8 with you until CN 2008 NT becomes available. (I'm already using my CN in two GPS units, so I can't offer to share mine.) If we are lucky, they may even offer CN 2008 NT in a kit with the mounting hardware.

Just read some message threads that indicate if you have "recently" purchased old City Navigator V8 software that you may be eligible for a FREE upgrade to the 2008 software!

It may be worth a call to Garmin and ask if you buy the "Kit" and it has V8 (non NT), if you qualify to get the 2008 NT update for FREE.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

GizmoGuy411 wrote:Another reason that is that they do not yet offer NT as part of the "Auto navigation kit", which currently includes City Navigator V8, a power cable, two mounts, and a bracket. 010-10458-00 for $216 MSRP, and street prices as low as $145. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1008.
I just got my package from PCNATION.com for $139.50 including shipping.

Now, where is that info about City Navigator 2008?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

cheechgang wrote:
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Another reason that is that they do not yet offer NT as part of the "Auto navigation kit", which currently includes City Navigator V8, a power cable, two mounts, and a bracket. 010-10458-00 for $216 MSRP, and street prices as low as $145. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1008.
Ijust got my package from PCNATION.com for $139.50 including shipping.

Now, where is that info about City Navigator 2008?
The information I was reading was in various forums. They all mentioned that they called Garmin to ask if they qualified for a free update.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Poopies:

Driving along using on road routing to a cache , when you get to the cache area it then takes 7 keystrokes to get to the off road page with the arrow pointing at the cache. This should be one button.

Yech!!!

What am I doing wrong?
Proud to be
Mr.BBD
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by Mr.BBD »

I think I can do that in five buttons, "FIND", ("waypoint" highlighted with nearest as option) "ENTER", (nearest waypoint highlighted) "ENTER", "DOWN ARROW" (to select "Off road"), "ENTER".

In summary, FIND, ENTER, ENTER, DOWN ARROW, ENTER.

You can do it without looking at the screen after a short time.

I agree though it is a PITA.
Last edited by Mr.BBD on Mon 2007-08-06, 15:14:38, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=223411:24w1fwsy][img:24w1fwsy]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=88-83+OH-MI&uid=819531db-4c7c-4812-849a-890a3ca03d7a&bg=1[/img:24w1fwsy][/url:24w1fwsy]
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

then add PAGE to get to the arrow. Still it is cumbersome
Proud to be
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Assuming you are simply navigating to a waypoint and not using an actual saved "ROUTE", and that the waypoint you are traveling to was the last found you used the "FIND" button for, try this:

Press FIND, FIND, ENTR, ENTR, DOWN, ENTER

1. On any screen press FIND Screen: Find page.
2. Press FIND. Screen: Recent Finds page.
3. With last find highlighted, press ENTR. Screen = Waypoint page with Goto highlighted.
4. Press ENTR. Screen: Follow choice menu with previously chosen with Follow Road highlighted. (Assuming you had just used "Follow Road".)
5. Press Down. Screen: Follow choice menu with Off Road hight lighted.
6. Press ENTR. Screen: Map page with line of sight route to waypoint.

I know this is one more keystroke than BBD mentioned, but it has the advantage of being easier since you only need to position your thumb over 4 buttons.

As BBD said, this too you can do without looking after a couple tries.

[hr]

As a side note here are some other shortcuts that may be useful and may or may not be in current manual:

Pressing FIND twice is shortcut to the Recent Finds page.

Pressing the MARK button repeatedly takes you to the next waypoint.

Pressing the MENU button while on any screen takes you to a sub menu for that page with more fun options. (While in the Calculator, press MENU to get to the Scientific Calc, to use while solving Cheech Gang caches!)

Pressing IN or OUT in any menu takes you to the top or bottom of the menu respectively.

Push and hold IN or OUT to cause button to self repeat.

Push and hold the FIND button to enter MAN OVERBOARD function.

Push and hold PAGE to toggle Compass off and on.

While scrolling around a map, press ENTR to save a waypoint for the cursor arrow or press QUIT to return to current position.

Also do not forget that menu choices added to the PAGE button are removed from the MENU page. (This annoys me.)
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Mr.BBD wrote:I think I can do that in five buttons, "FIND", ("waypoint" highlighted with nearest as option) "ENTER", (nearest waypoint highlighted) "ENTER", "DOWN ARROW" (to select "Off road"), "ENTER".

In summary, FIND, ENTER, ENTER, DOWN ARROW, ENTER.

You can do it without looking at the screen after a short time.

I agree though it is a PITA.
=======================================
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Assuming you are simply navigating to a waypoint and not using an actual saved "ROUTE", and that the waypoint you are traveling to was the last found you used the "FIND" button for, try this:

Press FIND, FIND, ENTR, ENTR, DOWN, ENTER

1. On any screen press FIND Screen: Find page.
2. Press FIND. Screen: Recent Finds page.
3. With last find highlighted, press ENTR. Screen = Waypoint page with Goto highlighted.
4. Press ENTR. Screen: Follow choice menu with previously chosen with Follow Road highlighted. (Assuming you had just used "Follow Road".)
5. Press Down. Screen: Follow choice menu with Off Road hight lighted.
6. Press ENTR. Screen: Map page with line of sight route to waypoint.

I know this is one more keystroke than BBD mentioned, but it has the advantage of being easier since you only need to position your thumb over 4 buttons.

As BBD said, this too you can do without looking after a couple tries.

[hr]

As a side note here are some other shortcuts that may be useful and may or may not be in current manual:

Pressing FIND twice is shortcut to the Recent Finds page.

Pressing the MARK button repeatedly takes you to the next waypoint.

Pressing the MENU button while on any screen takes you to a sub menu for that page with more fun options. (While in the Calculator, press MENU to get to the Scientific Calc, to use while solving Cheech Gang caches!)

Pressing IN or OUT in any menu takes you to the top or bottom of the menu respectively.

Push and hold IN or OUT to cause button to self repeat.

Push and hold the FIND button to enter MAN OVERBOARD function.

Push and hold PAGE to toggle Compass off and on.

While scrolling around a map, press ENTR to save a waypoint for the cursor arrow or press QUIT to return to current position.

Also do not forget that menu choices added to the PAGE button are removed from the MENU page. (This annoys me.)
I REST MY CASE
Proud to be
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Latest word today from Garmin on the "Fade to off" (aka "Cheech Fluke"):

They have been testing various units and all the 60 and 76 series units seem to experience the problem. The Rhino series does not.

Latest word today from Garmin on the City Navigator North America 2008 updates:

A CN NA 2008 update is available for either the traditional compression of the NT compression.

However, if you already own the traditional compression, you may only upgrade to the 2008 traditional compression edition. You can NOT update to the NT compression edition.

If you currently buy a V8 of either CN NA edition from a retail outlet, you are eligible for a free update to 2008 with the same compression.

The "Auto kit" will probably only be sold with the traditional compression software for the next year, as currently only the "x" models can use the NT compression edition.

The word "traditional" was specifically used by the Garmin rep to describe the non NT compression edition.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

GizmoGuy411: How does one go about upgrading?
Proud to be
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

cheechgang wrote:GizmoGuy411: How does one go about upgrading?
There is an online process to upgrade once you have registered your hardware and software. However if you get lost in the process, I would just call by phone. Visit https://my.garmin.com or call 1-800-800-1020.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Wed 2007-08-08, 12:23:45, edited 1 time in total.
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

New 3.50 Unit Software released on 08/02/2007
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=1235

Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.50:

Change number of lines of text in the address field on map feature review page from 4 to 6.
Improve robustness when recovering from a partial map load.
Limit number of custom POI bitmaps to 64 to ensure enough memory resources.
Added better compatibility with Mac computers in USB mass storage mode.
Improved pedestrian route calculation for shortest distance method.
Added ability to recalculate a direct goto route.
Fix issue where MPC maps could potentially cause a shutdown.
Address issue where nearest points search would skip some points.
Changed datum used in the the SWEREF 99TM grid to GRS80.
Changed datum used in the the Estonian grid to GRS80.
Fix potential shutdown when using TOPO West 1999.
Fix potential shutdown on track setup for data card when track log files have long file names.
Corrected French translation for 'Log track points'.
Improved promptness of the turn review popup.
Improve track log recording for sensor products to continue recording sensor data even when GPS doesn't have a fix.
Fix potential shutdown when propagating in a cul-de-sac across a map boundary.
Added more time zones.
Fix potential shutdown when clearing recent find list when custom POI with custom bitmaps are in the list.
Add A905/D900 unlock code communication protocol.
Make route recalculation on MPC maps behave like City Navigator maps.
Remove lithium ion as a battery choice. For 76x add lithium battery choice.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
cheechgang wrote:GizmoGuy411: How does one go about upgrading?
There is an online process to upgrade once you have registered your hardware and software. However if you get lost in the process, I would just call by phone. Visit https://my.garmin.com or call 1-800-800-1020.
I just got off the phone with Garmin. They are sending me a free upograde to City Navigator NA 2008. My version 8.0 was activated only 9 days ago. I don't know what the cutoff is, but it is worth a call.
Proud to be
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Installed the City Navigator North America v 2008 today. In talking to customer service (which was necessary to get the code) I was informed that is now only available for use on ONE GPSr unit. Reason given is their map supplier raised the prices significantly, and rather than raising the prices even more they decided to allow it to be registered to only one GPS. :(

Should still be able to load the original v8 to a second GPSr though.
Proud to be
OrangeDawg
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by OrangeDawg »

Talked to Garmin today and they gave me a code to get Navigator 2008 on the 22nd of Aug. Installation was painless for my CN NA v8 although a picture book would come in handy. I need to read some forums!
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=897559:19olzmea][img:19olzmea]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Let's+get+together+and+cache!&uid=0c616b4b-478c-4e00-ba79-5f10c88276aa[/img:19olzmea][/url:19olzmea]