August OH-MI (Oh! My!) Thingy

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

Bjorn74
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

August OH-MI (Oh! My!) Thingy

Post by Bjorn74 »

There's talk about trying to get the MI and OH cachers together in August for a camping weekend. Since it would happen near you guys, would you want to pick the location? It would be all of Ohio and MI, so maybe 60 sites needed. Once we have a place and a date, we can tell everyone to reserve their own and arrange to meet up once we get there.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

I might suggest somewhere in the Adrian/Tecumseh/Irish Hills area. Lots of campgrounds near there for MIS.

Just avoid race weekends!
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
Scook
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)
Location: I'm from Cincinnati, I just happen to live in Detroit.

Post by Scook »

If you can ever get the MIGO members to cross the border :lol: , it sounds like a great idea.
I might suggest the Van Buren State Park. It has 3 caches in the park, is very close to I-75 and about half between the groups and is very close for the NWOGEO members. Only the Cincinnati area cachers would have a distance to travel.
I don't know about the capacity of the campground or the availability of camp sites in August but I'm sure some local might have better information for us.
I'm from [b:23oep3oy]Cincinnati[/b:23oep3oy], I just happen to live in [b:23oep3oy]Detroit[/b:23oep3oy].
Papade
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Papade »

Just wanted everyone to know that I placed a notice in the MiGO forums about this topic, in hopes that MI and OH could get together sometime in 2005. I figured that now would be a good time to start discussing and planning.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd:3aqvovpe][img:3aqvovpe]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=67b91dd6-5e8a-4f20-a4da-d99020c3a4bd[/img:3aqvovpe][/url:3aqvovpe]
SherwoodForest
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by SherwoodForest »

combine this thread with the one about Harrison Lake in the general thread, and you'll get the planned July weekend Tri-State (and More) event.. i'm sure more details will be forthcoming by the date to start reserving the campgrounds (six months before the event) ;)
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

DATE SET FOR CAMPOUT!

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Just to let the NWOGEO folks know, especially those who are not on the GC.com midwest forums, I copied one of Bjorn74's revent posts to spread the news. Could we take about this at the Jan Meet and Eat, and all remind each other to sign up for campsites on the listserv as Jan 15th nears!

"July 15th - 17th 2005
Harrison Lake State Park in Fayette,Ohio.

When making your travel plans, please take into account reserving a site at Harrison Lake. Below is a map of the park. The area bordered in green is where we plan to base the GeoHQ. Once we have a home base reserved, we'll have a site # for reference. You can reserve a site 6 months in advance of your arrival. If you are planning to show up on the 15th of July, you can register on January 15th.

On Saturday, July 16th, we will have a picnic pavillion of some sort for a massive Geocacher party. Details are being worked out. If you'd like to offer something as an idea or even as something to lead/provide, please email myself or Trippy with details.

It may be a good idea to invite your DNR officials to the weekend. Ohio DNR is a huge supporter of our sport. It would be great to have an opportunity to get state officials together to compare notes especially in a Pro-Caching atmosphere. We are almost 100% confident that ONDR folks will be there with us for a lot of the weekend.

We haven't mentioned what areas are invited to this event. The primary target for the event is the Eastern Mid-West, or Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri. The site was chosen to be within a 6 hour drive for the largest population of cachers in this area. We anticipate participation from areas like Erie and Pittsburgh, PA, Canada, and several eXtreme cachers for whom a 8 to 10 hour drive or a flight is not a big deal."
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Reminder...this Saturday is the first day to reserve a campsite for the weekend!
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

We reserved site 120N this morning. It appeared that only one other reservation was made in the whole park. Internet resevations were slow and was not able to talk to a person on the phone, but we finally were able to print a confirmation letter. I hope we aren't the only ones there.