2017 Outdoor Expo (Toledo's Sidecut Metropark)

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

Starkacher
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

2017 Outdoor Expo (Toledo's Sidecut Metropark)

Post by Starkacher »

I posted this on the NWOGEO facebook page, but thought I should post here also. The Annual Outdoor Expo at Sidecut Metropark will be held May 20th. They are once again doing geocaching demonstrations. They need volunteers for the Geocaching table. It is nice to have actual geocachers explain it to the public and encourage muggle conversion. There are two shifts 8:30-1PM and 1PM-5PM. I think they need 2-3 people per shift. I have signed up for the afternoon. If you can make yourself free, please volunteer to help. Hopefully a good showing of support will help with the ongoing policy changes. It can't hurt. Sign up here at the link https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/?FROM=16375 Or contact the volunteer coordinator Trish Hausknecht <patricia.hausknecht@metroparkstoledo.com>.
Starkacher
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: 2017 Outdoor Expo (Toledo's Sidecut Metropark)

Post by Starkacher »

Here is what to expect (if it is like last year). There is a table labeled Geocaching for us to sit at. Last year I supplied a bunch of sample geocache containers for the table (I will do that again). The Metroparks will hide a bunch of temporary "geocaches" (glad transfer containers with a piece of paper with park trivia) along a short trail and load 8 Explorist GCs with the coords. The volunteers briefly explains geocaching to the public (showing the samples, etc) and asks if they want to try it. If so, we have them sign out one of the GPSrs and explain how to use it. The people go off and try to find the temporary caches and return the GPSrs when they are done. We answer any questions they might have. If we have a third volunteer for a shift, one of us would walk the trail to assist the people searching.