2016 considerations for Spring Fling

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

TTFNcachn
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: 2016 considerations for Spring Fling

Post by TTFNcachn »

I would like to put a vote in for Walbridge Park in South Toledo. It's across the street from the Toledo Zoo. It has a covered picnic area as well as a rent able hall and a gazebo that have had everything from weddings to park concerts. There are no active caches that I know of in the park but there are a small variety around. Plenty of parking in the park, a handicap play ground is available to. The park has one hell of a history to. From having a board walk and carnival rides to being the first zoo in South Toledo. I just know this is a good area.
TTFNcachn

Post by TTFNcachn »

Lima is just so far away for someone who's car is falling apart. Yes, there would be a wonderful opportunity for caching on the way down, but quite honestly, Bowling Green is to far for my car.
Chaenorrhinum
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

TTFNcachn wrote:Lima is just so far away for someone who's car is falling apart. Yes, there would be a wonderful opportunity for caching on the way down, but quite honestly, Bowling Green is to far for my car.
Walbridge Park is small and expensive, and inconvenient for much of NWOGEO territory. It would also require people to use their cars to actually get to caches, since we couldn't get very many in the park itself - that also has its pros and cons. NWOGEO covers a huge area, and Toledo is on the edge of that area. Instead of 75 people relocating because of your transportation issues, maybe you could find someone to carpool with? Heck, if you chip in for gas, maybe they could pay their event fees!

We've got cachers who don't own cars, or who don't have valid drivers licenses. They find a way to the events. Get to know the group and get to know cachers who live near you, and I'm sure you can make it to the Shindig and Spring Fling, wherever they are.
TTFNcachn

Post by TTFNcachn »

8O
Last edited by TTFNcachn on Sun 2015-10-25, 19:53:05, edited 1 time in total.
TTFNcachn

Post by TTFNcachn »

Chaenorrhinum wrote:Walbridge Park is small and expensive, and inconvenient for much of NWOGEO territory. It would also require people to use their cars to actually get to caches, since we couldn't get very many in the park itself - that also has its pros and cons. NWOGEO covers a huge area, and Toledo is on the edge of that area. Instead of 75 people relocating because of your transportation issues, maybe you could find someone to carpool with? Heck, if you chip in for gas, maybe they could pay their event fees!

We've got cachers who don't own cars, or who don't have valid drivers licenses. They find a way to the events. Get to know the group and get to know cachers who live near you, and I'm sure you can make it to the Shindig and Spring Fling, wherever they are.
I am still relatively new to all this so pardon me for assuming. I was only trying make a suggestion to help out those in Michigan as well. I really didn't know the "boundary" areas that would make Toledo on the edge of the North West Ohio geocaching area. I figured that NWO put Toledo in the center. Also, I didn't know how big these events got. I heard about the bash and yes this would be to small for that. Toledo is filled with many parks that are within a walking distance from this one, many don't have cache in them now. I got into geocaching because I wanted to get outside, see places and things in neighborhoods that I couldn't driving, and to get some exercise.

I am not trying to raise any blood pressure, I am just still trying to figure this thing out.
Chaenorrhinum

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

There aren't official boundaries, but the centroid for NWOGEO is probably southwest of Bowling Green. There are folks who drive an hour north to Spring Fling, as well as those who drive an hour south. It even draws people from the west side of Cleveland, and from Indiana.

NWOGEO overlaps with some southeast Michigan caching groups, Cachers Anonymous out of the Tiffen area, NCOG which is closer to Marion and the U.S. 30 corridor, WCOG which is Lima area, and LoCo and WEST which are the western suburbs of Cleveland. I'm sure I'm forgetting some... like Ft Wayne... Since we aren't a formal organization, we don't have official membership roles or districts, like a school system or fire department would.

Midwest Geobash is not a NWOGEO event; it is its own separate organization.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

Here's the latest about White Star Park in Gibsonburg, Ohio: White Star Barn ($200 for Sandusky County resident - and yes we have some members who are !!) it does NOT however, have running water, nor kitchen facilities, but does enclose for inclement weather...

same for The Shed rental - with 90 capacity, that might be the better for our turnouts for spring fling...

as to the placing of geocaches @ white Star - in touch with director of Sandusky County Parks = waiting for their decisions still...
(aside note: new park ranger chuck seems to think cache placements won't be a problem..)
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

latest update from Tom Royce, director for Sandusky County Parks...
the person they had handling geocaching is no longer with them and a replacement is probably not in the works until after the first of the year,
but he will contact us just as soon as there is a policy procedure in place and a person to officiate over the permit process... at this time,
there only seems to be one small area in Sandusky County that will be off limits in all of the park properties - and that's a very good sign for future cache placements...

hmmm...perhaps the new steering committee can at least vote on the Spring Fling location this week....
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

I like Litzenburg, but I sure I would also like and attend anywhere that the Spring Fling happens. If someplace else does not work out this year, perhaps it will the next year.
Angelus_Cowl

Post by Angelus_Cowl »

Just wanted to check, was an official decision made for the location?
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

Litzenburg it is, May 14, 2016...