Help in Lima

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

Schnipdogs
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Help in Lima

Post by Schnipdogs »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site so not sure where to really post this, so if this isn't the right spot please point me in the right direction... Any way, I am a teacher in Lima City Schools and we teach mini courses at the end of the year. Mini courses are fun classes where we get to teach the students something like one of our hobbies, ie sewing, cooking, mural painting etc... (Last year we did a mural)

This year I would love to teach a mini class on geocaching, but I would definately need help. I only have 4 gps units which is a start, but obviously would be better if I had more. Even more than GPS units, I need some volunteers that would be willing to help between 10-15 fifth through eighth graders and I out. I need help with placing the caches, as I have never hidden one myself with only 43 finds. More volunteers would make it easier for the students to learn the individual gps units, and have a guide for each "group".

The mini course date is May 20th at Lima West Middle School. We are doing two sessions; one in the morning for 2 1/2 hours and then another in the afternoon for 2 1/2 hours again.

Please any help/advice would be greatly apprciated. :lol:
Thank you!
Last edited by Schnipdogs on Fri 2011-03-04, 23:07:59, edited 1 time in total.
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Help in Lima

Post by T-Hunter »

I can see if a couple buddies of mine in the Lima area could help out and I will see what I have going on that day as well. I do however work 2nd shift so anything running into the afternoon would not be an option for me. Feel free to PM me if need be.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

another volunteer for the morning session here...PM me also as i need a little more info...
is there a park nearby or wooded school grounds where these caches are to be hidden?
i have a Gps i will share with supervision ... do you have videos/slide presentations for the classes
on geocaching basics? handouts?
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
hammbh
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by hammbh »

This sounds like such a great project and would love to participate! I have an Educaching workbook you may use as well if you need help developing a lesson plan or assignments for the day. I also have some caching containers I could donate and would be willing to help you hide the caches as well as help with the students. I'm not sure how many people you need for this, but I may see if a couple of my fellow graduate/teaching assistants from BGSU are available then as well.