Survivor III - North Manitou Island

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheConman
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Survivor III - North Manitou Island

Post by TheConman »

I would like to invite anyone who may be interested in attending Survivor III - North Manitou Island event. This past year we worked hard to pick the date a ways ahead of time to give everyone plenty of time to make plans for this unique and rare backpacking event. You will have the opportunity of seeing natural beauty at its finest while learning a lot about yourself.

Some info about North Manitou Island:

North Manitou sits in the middle of Lake Michigan between Michigan and Wisconsin. 15,000 acres of wilderness with a visitor use concept that emphasizes solitude, self-reliance and a sense of exploration. Camping on North Manitou is "open": you choose the campsite! The primary visitor activities include hiking, swimming, backcountry camping and backpacking. The island itself is home to a large whitetail deer herd and is the summer range for a variety of raptors (including the Bald Eagle). In the fall, special trips are available for hunters.

North Manitou Island is home to some of the most unique parts of the United States. Roughly 5% of the land mass in the U.S. is officially designated by Congress as a Wilderness Area. Of that 5% number - 3% is wilderness in Alaska. The remaining 2% is scattered thoughout the rest of the country. Be part of hikers and backpackers who have been on North Manitou Island.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or post them here.
TheMetalSteve

Re: Survivor III - North Manitou Island

Post by TheMetalSteve »

This sounds pretty cool! I would go, but I am getting married the day before that. :P
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

What a unique honeymoon opportunity.
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Looks interesting
Keger8
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Keger8 »

CONGRATS METAL STEVE!! And that would be a nice honeymoon event! If it wasnt so far away then it would be nice.
KEGER8
TheConman

Post by TheConman »

At some point I will be posting a link to my youtube video from last year when I get it completed.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

We've been to South Manitou Island, but before geocaching. Absolutely beautiful! Got to take a tour of the historic buildings, walk the shore the to lighthouse. Don't think we've ever seen clearer water than that.

Sure North Manitou is just as georgous. :)
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

It's bike to the bay weekend :(
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Its been a LONG time since I've been there, but I bet the skeeters are still as big as B-52's. That was in the pre-DEET days, so maybe that will help.

Sounds like a fun event !!
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TheConman

Post by TheConman »

GrizzFlyer wrote:Its been a LONG time since I've been there, but I bet the skeeters are still as big as B-52's. That was in the pre-DEET days, so maybe that will help.

Sounds like a fun event !!
Last year was the best skeeter wise... they were not bad at all. Two years ago was a total different story. You found all of the places (between fingers, tips of your ears, inside of your ears, etc.) where you didn't put the bug dope on and the skeeters found you!
TheConman

Post by TheConman »

TeamMina wrote:We've been to South Manitou Island, but before geocaching. Absolutely beautiful! Got to take a tour of the historic buildings, walk the shore the to lighthouse. Don't think we've ever seen clearer water than that.

Sure North Manitou is just as georgous. :)
An event for South Manitou was also recently posted. It's an Ice Cream Social - bring your own. :D