Poll ended at Wed 2009-09-30, 16:19:02

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 15

jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Re: NWOGEO Future Organizational Meeting - CANCELLED!

Post by jslagle »

GG just said it perfectly.

My biggest issue with Dragonfly at the moment is development appears to be dead. The last released version is well over a year old, and the "10" version they keep promising looks like it will not be based on phpbb.

This is a seperate issue. The only way it's related is that it's a fairly big time investment for GG and I to migrate to a new platform. I have done it before, but it's a decent amount of work.

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

I do not know if I am following you or not, but it sounds like in a perfect world (ignoring cost and time commitment), you would want to switch NWOGEO.ORG to Joomla! Is this much correct?

I also want to add.....As I have said before, this computer stuff is way beyond me or my abilities. I for one am very appreciative of all the time Jason and GG and Good Dog and whoever else have put into this site. I enjoy the site and there is no way I could have done it on my own, so I say thank you to all of you.

I also think, that it is one thing to have someone donate services to help with the up keep of a site if that is what they can bring to the table. I think it is another thing to ask (or allow) them to do a major overhaul of the site for free. When it is a big time commitment that would take them away from other paying customers, I think they should be compensated. I know that is not why this conversation started, but I think it is fair.
I am an amazed cacher!
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Just an update on the rescheduling of the meeting: I'm going to contact the WCPL today & see if we can get the room for 11/8 from 2-5, it's a Sunday afternoon and perhaps this will give people a better chance at attending. I will post a definitive time/date once I talk to the library personnel.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

I won't accept any money. It costs me nothing to host the site. The traffic is low.

I pay very little for the domain - it's my way of giving back :)

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
sunrenay
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by sunrenay »

Well, I can't comment on moving to different platforms, software or whatever because I've never done any of that. The only other board I'm on uses vbulletin and we all just chipped in to cover any expenses. It's a pretty small board though and we limit membership to invitation only.

I think for several of us work, not life, got in the way and that's pretty sad-lol. I'd like to suggest that the next meeting be scheduled for the weekend or in virtual format. As much as I would like to help, a weeknight meeting during the dinner hour at a location without food is dicey since I'm a working mother to a small child. I realize I'm a newbie who hasn't made this hobby a priority but I do want help. I think that we need a bit more structure to help newbies like myself out.
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

If Jhinkle can get the meeting setup for 11/8/09 in the afternoon, I will back her up and get the meeting held if work or life interfeeres.
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

I am behind the reorganization 110% however with five kids I have a hard time fitting everything in. I will try to be there on the 8th, but my two oldest kids have a swim meet that day. I will be home with the three little ones. My ability to be there will all depend on if the meet gets done in time and how everything else is going that day.

Unlike Sunrenay, food or no food, you do not want me showing up with three kids whose collective ages total six!
I am an amazed cacher!
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

jhenkel wrote:Just an update on the rescheduling of the meeting: I'm going to contact the WCPL today & see if we can get the room for 11/8 from 2-5, it's a Sunday afternoon and perhaps this will give people a better chance at attending. I will post a definitive time/date once I talk to the library personnel.
I could attend a Sunday meeting, however, I think do to budget cutbacks that the WC library is closed on Sundays now. There is a meeting room at Grounds For Thought (coffee house) in BG. I think it's free, and the room would hold about a dozen. I'll check for other locations if the library is closed.

Maybe 1babs could get us a room at BGSU?
Is the room at Bass Pro free?
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

The room @ Bass Pro is free, but the room at the Way Library is also free & they are open on Sundays. I am checking with them as to the availability that day, too!
sunrenay

Post by sunrenay »

Oh good! I didn't get to submit my post when I typed it (who keeps letting all these people in my office?) and didn't see that you rescheduled for Sunday. Although, you know, Pagliai's has veggie soup on Saturdays...just kidding we can't schedule meetings around soup menus...can we? :wink:
Last edited by sunrenay on Fri 2009-10-23, 18:21:24, edited 1 time in total.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Ummm. Soup sounds good. Where the heck is Way? Is that the same as way out there?
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Way Library is the library in Perryburg, part of the Wood County Libraries. It's just named after some dude named Way. Yes Way! Ummmm...I don't think they'll let us bring soup. I think we can wait a month for that, don't you?
sunrenay

Post by sunrenay »

So, like, you're saying no Pagliai's? WTFill in the blank!?!
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

jhenkel wrote: It's just named after some dude named Way.
Willard V. Way to be exact....at least according to Suchanana. If you go to the posted coords for GC1Z83Q you will be in the parking lot for the library. Plus, it is a fun cache!
I am an amazed cacher!
scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by scuba »

I should be able to attend the meeting on Sunday. Glad I don't work Sunday.