Poll ended at Wed 2009-09-30, 16:19:02

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 15

jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Re: NWOGEO Future Organizational Meeting - CANCELLED!

Post by jslagle »

My weekends tend to be crazier than my evenings, so I'm not sure.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
2trux
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: Joomla!/phpBB

Post by 2trux »

First off, I want to say thank you to jslagle and GizmoGuy411 for the "behind the scenes" work they do here. Many forums are setup by/for hobbyist's, then end up getting hacked, and go off the air.

I think idea of migrating to a Joomla!/phpBB platform is a good one. J! is a popular CMS (content mgmt. system) and when vulnerabilities (in the core) are discovered, patches are released in a timely manner.

Depending on how the forums are implemented, it can lead to the integration issue you mention.
GizmoGuy411 wrote:While Joomla has some great features, one of the things I was concerned about was that the forum module did not integrate into other the modules as well as DragonFly. They seemed to function almost like two different systems. I was concerned that our users may have a problem with that.
The Central Ontario Geocachers use this software combination. But is it a problem? I know they've done some polls and I believe many of their user's go straight to the forum (phpBB), bypassing the front page (Joomla!).

Keeping the systems separate should make them easier to maintain.

Based on my experience in managing a Joomla! site, you could probably enlist some of the user's here to maintain/update sections of the Joomla! portion. I'm not talking about access to the /administrator backend, just the ability to update a page.
cachergirl27
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: NWOGEO Future Organizational Meeting - RESET!

Post by cachergirl27 »

BUMP
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: NWOGEO Future Organizational Meeting - RESET!

Post by Mighty_Mo »

OK so it is now RESET.

Does that mean 11/8 is a go? what time?