May 3rd, NWOGEO 2008 Spring Event - VOLUNTEERS REQUESTED!

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Re: May 3rd, NWOGEO Spring Event - VOLUNTEERS REQUESTED!

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Joe made an announcement to request some ideas and volunteers, and asked people to come here to discuss the event.

He also mentioned that the Steering Committee has a limited ability this year.

For those reading this, our Steering Committee has dwindled down to just a few people, and they are all very busy elsewhere at the moment. In fact if if the committee had not dwindled to what it is now, some of those remaining now, would probably opted to be on hiatus from the SC due their other obligations.

Joe also has a new responsibility that is keeping him busy almost daily, so he will probably not be able to help much with the spring event either.

Similarly, I will have a hard time even attending the event, let alone help much. (As witnessed by my recent issues with getting events posted in a timely manner.)

As such my efforts will probably be limited to just "trying" to keep our site up-to-date and posting events to the Geocaching.com site.

So at this rate our spring event may be nothing more than a bigger "Meet & Greet" or "Meet & Eat" if people bring their own food!
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by McCombRef »

I am willing to hide some caches. I think we need to hide a minimum of 7 caches to hold the poker cards. Any other volunteers from the area are welcome, as-well-as any good hiding places.

If anyone is planning any new hides, in the Findlay area, and would like to wait until the picnic let me know. We could use them for the poker run.
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

Well have you guys decided on a chat night? i won't be available but will try to keep it moving along.
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

OK. We need to get a framework of an event up here, and a page needs to get posted before next Saturday, lest our event not be published.

Let's just plan this one in the wide open, shall we? Everyone chip in ideas (especially if you plan to attend and or help, this is your event!)

Caching part: If we want to do a poker run, we need someone to obtain the software and cards and run the computer during the event. Also that means 7 new caches (need to be submitted to the reviewer 10 days pre-event). I'm open to other ideas.

Other activities: I'm open to people bringing their instruments if they care to jam. We don't normally have too much formal in the spring, and reserve that for the Holiday Shindig.

1kers: do we want to do this again at the spring event?

Food: what do we want to eat?

The hard part is finding a cheap or free shelter, and I'm currently doing the sweat equity that gives us the shelter. It's not that any of this is a crazy amount of work when we do it together, it's just a lot of work for one or 2 people.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

Food = Pot Luck
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

I can contact good dog to see if there are any utensils/napkins/plates/cups left in the "Bank".

Do we want to use a food assignment or have people post their choices so there is a mix?

what about drinks?
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

Here are my thoughts, The group will provide the meat(hamburgers & hot dogs) and the buns. Have a $5(?) donations and side dish. For the ones that live too far away or don't want to bring a dish, maybe additional$5(?). With this money we can fill in with sides if needed. On the drinks maybe coffee and hot water in the morning and carry it on for the meal if the weather is cold. If we decide to do the pop & water we can carry it over for after a trash pick up picnic later this summer.
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Should we have people sign up for a side or a dessert then? Sounds good.

Anyone have any ideas about the caching event I plan to put up some temps for the GC event this weekend. Maybe the group at the CITO could plan some caches during that time!?! I'm not sure about the feasibility of the poker run unless we hear about the computer stuff. Maybe we could set up a game of clue and put cards to be discovered at the coords to rule out whodunnit? That would take visiting 18 locations to rule out the suspects.
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

BUMP! Any other ideas about activities?

Any of the current ammo can class want to see who wants to participate in the tradin' of the cans?
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

BlackBrownDog wrote:I can contact good dog to see if there are any utensils/napkins/plates/cups left in the "Bank".
We have:
About two dozen coffee cups with lids
75 paper plates (good heavy ones 3 sections)
2 doz. little jello shot type cups - where did these come from?
75 foam bowls
about 24 ea. plastic spoons, forks, knives
1/2 bottle dish soap
1 doz kids activity books
2 doz small boxes crayons
2 doz. unsharpened pencils.
Enough table cloth on a roll for about 5 tables.
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

UPDATE
Building: McComb ref to pick up/drop off key week of event.

Cache page: I did it and it's in the queue published. (not fancy, bear with me.)

Front Table: Mrs. BBD and possibly another volunteer TBN

Activity: Poker Run: Mr.BBD/Possibly Jslagle can run software, McComb Ref hiding caches.

Meal: Burgers, Buns and Fixings, Drinks to be picked up by Yogi and possibly another volunteer TBN, We have supplemental Dinnerware to what Good Dog listed.

Ammo Can class: no volunteers yet to organize this. We can add it to the page if it comes to be.

I have a couple of emails sent to some folks that emailed/called to volunteer for the TBN positions above. If anyone else can get there 30 min early to help set up tables and chairs post so here.

Anyone see anything I've missed?
WinChester2.0
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by WinChester2.0 »

Mrs. and I will be there (with mini-cachers) to help early set-up. What is a good time?
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

BBD asked me to help Yogi. No problem. He and I can split the duties.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

As of now a 12pk of pepsi and a pk of hot dogs is all we need. We might have to wait until the day of the event to find out how many coming.
ScouterJoe

Post by ScouterJoe »

We can kick it up by grilling the hot dogs. I could pick up or scratch make a hot dog sauce.