Winter Event?

Discussion of Events

Moderator: Steering Committee

jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Winter Event?

Post by jslagle »

You guys want to have a winter event? If so, we should start planning it now! Any ideas?
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hydnckr »

:D I have an "off the top of my head" idea :idea: for the Winter event. Find a metropark or other similar area where we can (perhaps for free) get a building for the day with a fireplace and a hill for sledding, then we can have a carry in lunch/dinner. Maybe we could place some one-day-only-caches in the same park and have a contest to see who can reach them all first.
Jason, did you go to that MiGO golf event ? or does anyone know how they did that :?: maybe we could set up a mini version for the day.
Again, just of the top of my head. :roll: suggestions ?
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

HYDNCKR wrote::D I have an "off the top of my head" idea :idea: for the Winter event. Find a metropark or other similar area where we can (perhaps for free) get a building for the day with a fireplace and a hill for sledding, then we can have a carry in lunch/dinner. Maybe we could place some one-day-only-caches in the same park and have a contest to see who can reach them all first.
Jason, did you go to that MiGO golf event ? or does anyone know how they did that :?: maybe we could set up a mini version for the day.
Again, just of the top of my head. :roll: suggestions ?
Yup, I know how the Golf worked - it was essentially a 9 part multi where you collected cards that redeemed for a "stroke amount". The lowest stroke counts won prizes. I think we can get gc.com and a few others to donate some items for prizes? I can talk to the MiGo people about that if we'd like to look at doing that.
--
Jason Slagle
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

I'd be up for attending a winter event but not much in planning it. Depends when it is. I'm too busy around Christmas.

On another note, I still have a hard time using this forum. I always have to peck around for 5 minutes to read and reply to it. The Chicago Area Cachers have a site on Yahoo that is very easy to use, is real time if you are on line (I think) and you can have the posts emailed to you if you have a Yahoo account. I don't use it much, but I evesdrop occasionally. Mostly they just bitch about geocaching.com, but they do plan their events that way also. I don't use chat rooms much myself but might look in and respond if we had a set time each week to do it, or had one like the Chicago people that I could check via my Yahoo account.

I have looked at the KeenPeople chat site also. Very easy to use also. I think it was started my the Chicago people or maybe the MiGo people.
Would a Yahoo forum work for us.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

gooddog wrote:I'd be up for attending a winter event but not much in planning it. Depends when it is. I'm too busy around Christmas.
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be around christmas - I was thinking sometime in January myself.
gooddog wrote: On another note, I still have a hard time using this forum. I always have to peck around for 5 minutes to read and reply to it. The Chicago Area Cachers have a site on Yahoo that is very easy to use, is real time if you are on line (I think) and you can have the posts emailed to you if you have a Yahoo account. I don't use it much, but I evesdrop occasionally. Mostly they just bitch about geocaching.com, but they do plan their events that way also. I don't use chat rooms much myself but might look in and respond if we had a set time each week to do it, or had one like the Chicago people that I could check via my Yahoo account.

I have looked at the KeenPeople chat site also. Very easy to use also. I think it was started my the Chicago people or maybe the MiGo people.
Would a Yahoo forum work for us.
I'm not a HUGE fan of web based forums at all, but the MiGo people seem to like their forum and I've been talking to the quite a bit lately, so I figured I'd see if I could breath some life into our forum. This forum will email you when there is a reply in a subject you posted on. I may be able to make it send you the actual message, but I'm not sure about replying.

As far as chat goes, I can install the chat like MiGo uses - I just have to go spend the $50 to purchase it first, or I need to link it off of the university server where we use it for class - lemme try that first.

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
yogi57

Re: Winter Event?

Post by yogi57 »

jslagle wrote:You guys want to have a winter event? If so, we should start planning it now! Any ideas?
Sounds good, Like GD said maybe Janurary. But first we have to find a place where we can stay warm. I can get my wife to go only if she can keep her buns warm.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Winter Event

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Even though January wil be colder, I know it would be better for me than anytime from now to New Years... just too busy.

Just don't do it around Mardi Gras time! I will be in N.O.

8O
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I bet we could get the nature center in BG again. The place where we had the initial meeting. I believe they even hava a fireplace.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Meeting place suggestion

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

While finding Good Dog's "577" cache, I learned that they have a few first come first server meeting rooms available. One room is in the library. (Bring books you do not want. Call ahead.)

While I don't think we could do any sledding there, if nothing else this looks like a great location for us at other times of the year.

We should at least add this to our list of possible "free" meeting facilities.

If Mike already suggested this in the past..... sorry for repeating things.

The Woolfert Cabin at the 577 Foundation
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I've got books there before (50 cents paperback, $1.00 hardback) they have a good selection. I also take some to donate. I never thought about the use of the library for a meeting room. Good idea. I think it even has a wood stove.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

Any ideas for spot to have a event at?