Activities > Geocaching

Event planning for the 2010 Holiday Shindig.

Moderator: Steering Committee

T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Activities > Geocaching

Post by T-Hunter »

yogi57 wrote:I was thinking about putting out a couple permanent caches south of the river. Wier Rapids and the Van something park. Does anyone has any there?
Van Tassle park......I have friends that hunt in that area. Don't think there are caches in there.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

T-Hunter69 wrote:
yogi57 wrote:I was thinking about putting out a couple permanent caches south of the river. Wier Rapids and the Van something park. Does anyone has any there?
Van Tassle park......I have friends that hunt in that area. Don't think there are caches in there.
Is hunting allowed on Sunday? I believe that December 12th is in gun season for deer.
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Ohio deer gun season has ended by then.

Ohio Hunting Seasons
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Stumpy75 wrote:Ohio deer gun season has ended by then.

Ohio Hunting Seasons
Archery season is still active. We still need to be wearing Orange or our bright green
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I really doubt that there will be that many temp caches. I plan to scout locations today. I may save the waypoints and send them to Mo and then put the caches out just before the event. Yogi won't be putting any caches out, but if anybody else does they can coordinate with Mo.

Temp caches started years ago when there were not that many caches around. It was a way to get more people to an event. Remember you don't have to hunt them or if you do, you log them only if you want. If you want to log them, don't be shy. They do have a long tradition.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

T-Hunter69 wrote:[
Van Tassel is a perfect example of why there can be temp caches. You have to have approval of the ODNR to put a cache there, it takes forever to get, if they even let you. A one or two day temp is quick and you get to see a great view of the area.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I have eleven more caches marked and ready to set out when it gets a little closer. I hope to make five of those permanent. The permits are in the works. I will email Mo with the coords and he can coordinate these with any others that someone else may place. With the new ones in BG (not that far from Otsego), on the Towpath Trail and these, that's about 26 new area caches most people haven't hunted yet and are in a good striking distance from the event.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Just to increase the anticipation of everyone..............

There will be a GSAK generated GPX file posted in this forum Saturday 12/11/10 after 7:00pm. This will include ----Temporary / New permanent / Recent permanent. Currently there are 26 in total.

Remember to check this forum 12/11/10 after 7:00pm and be ready to load those that GPS for Sunday morning. :D :D
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

UPDATE

The current break down is as follows

5 new caches to be published the day of the event.
15 current caches that are fairly new
7 Temporary caches
==============================
27 total

The file will be an attachment and will be a ZIP file as GPX files are not allowed.

The ZIP file will appear here on Saturday evening
Flash_Burn
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Flash_Burn »

Hello everyone...
Mrs Flash_Burn and myself will bring a tray of summer sausage, & snack sticks.. as well as a tray of olives and pickles, along with a warm dish of vegies like green bean casserol, sweet potatoes, or something to that extent,, just need to know which warm dish to bring so there isnt 2 or 3 of the same dish... let us know please...
thanks...
Flash_Burn

Post by Flash_Burn »

Mighty_Mo wrote:
T-Hunter69 wrote:
Is hunting allowed on Sunday? I believe that December 12th is in gun season for deer.

yes,, hunting is allowed on sundays now..squirrel, Duck, rabbit, pheasent, Deer (bow & crossbow), coyote, fox and racoon..
Flash_Burn

Post by Flash_Burn »

Stumpy75 wrote:Ohio deer gun season has ended by then.

Ohio Hunting Seasons

not nessecarily.. the extended gun season for deer is Dec 18 &, 19..

the shindig falls on the weekend between the 2 gun seasons...
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Flash_Burn wrote:Hello everyone...
Mrs Flash_Burn and myself will bring a tray of summer sausage, & snack sticks.. as well as a tray of olives and pickles, along with a warm dish of vegies like green bean casserol, sweet potatoes, or something to that extent,, just need to know which warm dish to bring so there isnt 2 or 3 of the same dish... let us know please...
thanks...
Whatever you want to bring is fine as I'm not sure there's a lot of warm sides on the board yet. I'm a big sweet tater fan, but who knows who else is! :D
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

There will be 2 temps at Van Tassel and one at Weir. I really don't see any problem with them vs. hunting. They are not that far from the parking. It might be best not to have anything white on your butt just to be safe.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Well one of the "New" permanent caches is too close to another existing cache so the new cache is out but for those people that haven't found the existing cache I am including it in the file that will be attached Saturday night. The file attached will be a zip file as the forum doesn't allow GPX. To keep things honest the "New" permanent caches won't be placed till Sunday morning. So there will be no night caching for FTF.

Just to bring everyone up to date on the caches, here is the current status
The event =1
New Permanent = 4
New Temporary = 7
Placed 11/22/10 = 6
Placed 10/31/10 = 5
Placed 10/10/10 =3
Placed 02/14/03 - 1
=====================
Total = 27 caches to hunt