How should NWOGEO proceed in the future?

Topics of interest to NWOGEO as a group.

Moderator: Steering Committee

How should NWOGeo proceed in the future?

Poll ended at Mon 2008-05-19, 02:49:09

Become Non-Profit 501.3(c)
12%
Continue as we are.
15%
Invite new members to SC to try to revive it
65%
Disolve the group
8%

Total votes: 26

TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Feedback from Email by jslagle - Includes Poll

Post by TheBearclaws »

Here's another thought. Maybe there could be a sign made for the meet and eats that said something like "Geocaching Information" It could stand up on a table and at it's base have a handout about the group, maybe the 3 folded handout that explains geocaching (I can't think of the name of it right now but I think it's from geocaching university) and the name tags. It would give new people a starting point and help with shyer people so they don't just sit on the sidelines observing. Older members could keep an eye on it, introduce themselves and offer assistance. The logbook could be kept there also for a conversation starter. One of the neatest things about coming to meet and eats for newer people is to put faces with names. Perhaps it could be agreed that at a certain time, maybe 30 minutes or so after the posted event time, we went around the room and people could say their caching name.

I know I'm veering off the main topic of the post but what the heck it's all related to the future of the group.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Back on the main topic and what's been said so far, I'm wondering if it might be getting close to the time for someone to condense the biggest issues and get it going in a direction.

I would like to ask the remaining SC members to respond about having an open meeting. I don't know when, how, if, where, format of, or any other information of past meetings but I do have an idea. It's probably not well known but the Toledo Lucas County Libraries have meeting rooms that are free to the public for use. I've used my local one a few times and think it's a heck of a good deal. The capacity at my local one is for 100 people and they set up the tables and chairs. I would be willing to make the arrangement to reserve one, under a couple conditions, but anyone can do it. I'll do it if there is a meeting agenda established beforehand and some guidelines discussed. I don't want to waste my time and not get anything accomplished. I think there would need to be someone designated as a moderator to keep things flowing from issue to issue and prevent people from going on rants or off topic, keep order and organization. Maybe one or more of the founders ("old timers") who don't want to see the group fade away could help in this regard and by coming to the meeting participants would agree to respect this person or persons. Maybe more than one meeting could be scheduled at a couple different library locations for followups to the previous meeting or meetings. Although a restaurant location or someones house is a nice idea because geocachers love to eat, I think a common place without distractions might be a better idea for the present time. Have some coffee and pop and focus.
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TheBearclaws wrote:I would like to ask the remaining SC members to respond about having an open meeting. ....... Maybe one or more of the founders ("old timers") ...... could help in this regard ...... I think a common place without distractions might be a better idea.....
As a remaining SC Member, I agree completely, especially with the specific points I've quoted above!

I know that all the founders are reading this, so hopefully they will respond.
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Fri 2008-04-25, 04:20:50, edited 1 time in total.
WinChester2.0
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by WinChester2.0 »

I've been reading these posts over the last several days, thinking about how I could contribute. I also wondered if I really needed to. I wasn't sure. As a casual cacher, forum lurker, and occasional meet-and-greet attendee, I wasn't sure if my thoughts would be relevant.

I finally began to realize that my indecision to act is a reflection on what is a core part of this issue. People don't know how to contribute, and they don't know how they are needed.

When I describe my participation in NWOgeo to friends, family, and others, I frequently have trouble explaining it. When I tell someone, "We've got plans that night," and I'm pressed for more information, I don't know how to respond. Are we going to a "geocaching meeting?" Is it an organization? Is it a club? Is it just a loosely-knit group of people we go meet for dinner once a month? I don't know how to define it, or my involvement, to others, so how could I possibly perk their interest to come along?

I pay no dues, I have no membership card. I'm not saying I need those things, but right now, I don't know exactly what a 'member' is. We've been off-and-on regulars to meet-and-greets, come to an event or two, and have on occasion cached with a couple of you. I've been checking the forums every day and have posted here for almost two years. But am I a 'member' of NWOgeo? I don't know. No one ever asked me if I wanted to join. I've got a log-on ID to this forum, but I don't receive any regular communications. The closest thing I've ever received to a newletter was jslagle's email.

I guess my point is, in order to feel that you're part of something, you need to be able to describe what it is, and how you fit in. I don't think becoming a non-profit is necessary, but I most definitely need a better way to explain what this group is before I can convince others to come along.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=570675:2dc0ae6m][img:2dc0ae6m]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Let's+Go+Geocaching!.&uid=71a83d25-ffb3-4a00-9f7d-d0a80fd6571c&bg=1[/img:2dc0ae6m][/url:2dc0ae6m]
**Watching my wife find geocaches since January 2006**
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Modeling after another group was mentioned, I've changed a few words from another sites homepage as an example for a new person to read coming to the website. Imagine the new cacher who just got a Welcome Wagon email from one of us and clicks on the link we provide:

Welcome

"You have reached the homepage of the Northwest Ohio Geocaching Organization (NWOGEO). The purpose of our organization is to promote the sport of Geocaching in Northwest Ohio via improved
communications and to provide information to the public about our activities and the sport of geocaching."

Here's a link to another page at the same website of our northern neighbors that I think does a good job of providing partly what may be needed.

MIGO
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Here's another idea (and then I quit LOL). Submittal of the monthly meet and eat events could be done by individual members through taking turns. The events could simply be titled May NWOGEO Meet & Eat, June NWOGEO Meet & Eat...etc. The format could be kept on the website for copying and pasting just like the welcome letter idea (but space could be allowed for the individual to add something personal or relevant to the season or month). Meeting materials (the logbook, information station stuff, the #500 banner etc) could be kept in a box and passed on to whoever wants to take the next turn at submitting the event. Most people probably will never do an event so this would be a chance for them to get the icon. If for some reason they are unable to attend the event it would be their responsibility to get the "box" to somebody else to bring to the meet and eat in their place. This would be a way for people to be involved and feel like they are a "part" of the action. Oh no! What if they don't submit it on time?

I'm sure someone can think of other simple interactive ideas once the door is opened (not that it was ever closed).
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

While I'm glad to see that a number of people have responded to this thread, and very happy to see everyone's enthusiasm, I am bit surprised that only 21 have voted so far.

I wish I had realized how the "Newsletter" feature here worked sooner. We could have used it several times in the past. So assuming that over 400 NWOGEO registered users who received jslagle's newsletter, I would have hoped that more people would have at least voted. Where is everyone?
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Fri 2008-04-25, 13:12:23, edited 2 times in total.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Well, I got ~100 bounces.

If we can make the times work, I would be more than willing to moderate a meeting.

It'd most likely need to be during the week, but not next week.

Someone care to throw out some dates? Also, we should make a topic for agenda.

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

I would be glad to participate, but I will be gone the first full week of May.
I am an amazed cacher!
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Jason, Sounds good!

Do you want to do it at one of the libraries? If so, pick an area of town and I'll contact the closest location for a list of available dates the week of May 12th. Would 6:30PM - 8:30 PM be about the right timing? As I recall, meetings have to be over by 8:30 PM Mon -Thursday and earlier on Friday.

Locations
2trux
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by 2trux »

We live in Columbus. We've been following the thread, but since we don't live in the NWO area, haven't participated in the poll, etc.
GizmoGuy411 wrote:So assuming that over 400 NWOGEO registered users who received jslagle's newsletter, I would have hoped that more people would have at least voted. Where is everyone?
Cachemeister
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by Cachemeister »

GizmoGuy411 wrote: I would have hoped that more people would have at least voted. Where is everyone?

Reminder - You need to sign in to access the option to vote, otherwise you will not see the vote buttons.

I just realized this... :oops:
GizmoGuy411

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

TheBearclaws wrote:Jason, Sounds good!

Do you want to do it at one of the libraries? If so, pick an area of town and I'll contact the closest location for a list of available dates the week of May 12th. Would 6:30PM - 8:30 PM be about the right timing? As I recall, meetings have to be over by 8:30 PM Mon -Thursday and earlier on Friday.

Locations
Any branch close and easy to find from expressway would be great for those not in town. If we made this an GC Event, do you think more people would show up? :)

I vote go for it.

Before summer is probably best too. Before everyone gets any busier!

Agenda ideas anyone?
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

This may sound odd to some, because I have posted some observations and opinions. However I don't feel I have sufficient knowledge to offer a formal vote. Therefore I have abstained. It isn't I don't care, I just don't have sufficient knowledge.

Set the meeting up and I will be there if possible.

I think the GC event idea is an interesting idea. It might generate interested non-member atendance.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I've found out that the meeting rooms are quite popular. I checked some options for these library branches: Holland, Maumee, Reynolds, Sanger and Sylvania. Because of room capacity sizes I ended up focusing on Holland, Sanger and Sylvania. I collected a few available dates and then ran them by a couple people who I know are interested in attending and it came down to Sylvania on Wednesday May 14 as the best choice of the ones offered. I understand Sylvania is on the edge of civilization and not close to the turnpike but it is close to an expressway at least. The library wouldn't allow a couple day "hold" for the reservation and since I didn't know how long it might take to get most people to agree, I went ahead and filled out the reservation form. The time I put in was from 6:00 to 8:30 PM although the real meeting can't start before 6:30. I also had to give them an approximate number of people so I wrote down 30 (the room holds up to 100 though so we should be good if the 21 voters show up and a few others LOL). I hope this date and time will fit most peoples schedules because it was the best I could do on short notice. If anybody has a better plan for a meeting just speak right up, I'm just an old fart trying to have some fun and don't sweat the small stuff, I wont be offended, and I can cancel.

I don't care for the idea to make it a geocaching event that would attract people for the wrong reasons and I also think it's a bad idea to bring children unless they're old enough to be alone in the library. One of the rules I agreed to is that unattended children cannot be left alone in the library.