BUSTED

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

BUSTED

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Have any other NWOGEOers ever been approached by the authorities while caching?

There is a reason for this, please see our log for SQ-Nobel & Tiffin. (GCH5BX)
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Re: BUSTED

Post by jslagle »

Yeah - 2AM at vetrans park - no signs it's closed at dark so we cached there. Got there and had 2 cop cars surrouncing our car. After we explained it all they were cool. I gave them 2 plastic army men and one of Ranger510's plastic cops.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
mongooz
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by mongooz »

Yes.. in Secor Metro Park, by one of the Rangers....the "Prairie View" cache....i was loggin in and a ranger drove up and got out and asked what i was doing. i said "geocaching" (almost as a question rather than a statement) and he replied "are ya taking or leaving?"...so i knew that he was up on geocaching....and i said "no...i'm just logging in and then putting it back" and the ranger said "ok, then, have a nice day" and he drove off....so not a bad experience, but i wasn't sure at first.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Got busted BIG TIME by the librarians at MCO #2. Fortunately I had the smooth talker with me...

Another time got busted on the way to a Saxondog cache, got to log in a "special" virtual: GC38D4
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

Just a few times, had one stop and ask if I needed some help, then he drove off. Had park ranger stop and ask what I was doing, I told geocaching and he flew off the handle about cachers. Told me if I find the cache to remove it. I found the cache but left it there for the owner to take care of. I almost got my car lock in a park, I guess my interperation of sunset was different from the ranger. I forgot that on Friday night the sun set early than rest of the week.
mongooz
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by mongooz »

yogi....what park did the ranger go ballistic? so i can be EXTRA careful when i go there?
mongooz
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I think it was Blue Creek by Whitehouse
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

BlackBrownDog wrote:Have any other NWOGEOers ever been approached by the authorities while caching?

There is a reason for this, please see our log for SQ-Nobel & Tiffin. (GCH5BX)
Click here to read their log for GCH5BX!

What a great story! Glad I have none to tell of my own yet!

However I DO have one to tell about Victory Mike who had encounter at a cache that I had been the FTF the day before! Read this:
April 27, 2001 by victorymike (1215 found)
What a nightmare! Rode M-cycle down to Ohio and found cache at 12:45. Cops drew guns on me and I was in cuffs by 1pm. I think every cop in town came for the show! Somebody saw me park my bike and go down to the cache (by a public park) and called the cops...Nosy, Nosy, Nosy! After I explained what geocaching was to the cop...and his buddy and their 2 buddies, then they uncuffed me. You may want to rehide the cache. There was a very large crowd gathered and everybody in the apartments across the river gathered to watch from their balconies. Took the compass keychain, left chainmaille, belt keychain holder and metal flying disc...AND RAN! If the cops had only talked to me instead of going in full force I think I would have tolerated it more (the sherriff actually had his gun drawn on me). I did cause a pretty large splash at this one.
victorymike
Mike Landis
Click here to see his log and the cache in question!
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Wow, Mike's story sure beats the pants off of mine.

Now Seneca Co parks has hidden caches of thier own!

That log's like something the Team Hydnckr would make up for the boring finds with a J/K at the end. :lol: