Good places for hides???

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheMoopAlong
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Re: Good places for hides???

Post by TheMoopAlong »

I have to agree with the majority here. I hate to see cachers or caches go by the wayside. It doesn't matter if someone doesn't like your hides. Not everyone will be in favor of all caches. That's just reality. I recently assisted in getting a local cacher to stop caching due to an unintended public lashing, and I will tell you how bad that feels. Don't let yourselves fall victim to that. Unfortunately, sometimes we need a bit thicker skin than we are used to in order to let other people's opinions roll off.

Pete
TMA
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=438212:1w7incev][img:1w7incev]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Profile+Assassin&uid=ea7436bc-f6c6-4690-9f4d-7b994f9c893c&bg=1[/img:1w7incev][/url:1w7incev]
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

I agree with the others as well. There are different caches to suit the style of just about everyone. Not every cache I've found is the best ever. Not every cache I've hidden is the best ever. Variety is the spice of life. We all have our opinions about what we want to do with this hobby.
BBD is correct. Some folks have fun hunting only micros, some refuse to hunt multis. Some folks only hunt ammo boxes. Some are into coins, some are into Travel Bugs. Some are about the numbers, some live for FTF. I dislike parking lot caches, but that doesn't mean they should be eliminated. JSlagle hates any cache that involves a tree that stays green in the winter. There is something here for everybody.
Don't remove your caches, people are enjoying the hunt.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
TheMoops
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by TheMoops »

Teamsox,
Mrs Moops and I are prepared to find and enjoy your caches. We are also a husband and wife team and we each have our preferences for caches. Mrs Moops is not able to make long hikes in rough terrain so she needs caches that are somewhat easier. Every cache has its own unique characteristics just as every cacher does. Tell your husband to put the GPSr in one hand and your hand in the other and get back out there. This hobby is tons of fun. Don't give up on it.
Mark and Jen
keithandcompany
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by keithandcompany »

Teamsox,
In every area there are people who take afront at other people's caches. It all comes with the territory. Just keep looking for the the caches that you prefer to do. We have sworn off some, but that doesn't mean that they don't need to be found by someone else. Disableing a cache would deprive those people to opportunity to find them.
Pipanella
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Pipanella »

I just need to say that I have found several of teamsox's caches and have enjoyed doing so. I especially liked "Keith's 1st Cache," which is now disabled. :-(

You've been given some great advice and encouragement here. Don't let the opinions of some ruin it for you and for others.
EASYRN1
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by EASYRN1 »

Well, it looks like I have unintentionally created some bad feelings with my comments about some caches in Van Wert county. I apologize if my comments were taken as a personal attack on anyone. It was a philosophical comment about caches in general and not meant as disrespectful of anyone who hides caches. As I said before, we love the hunt, and we are always up to track down something. But like BBD, we have seen a shift in the types and location of hides and wonder where it will lead. I have seen many strange and fascinating things through geocaching, things I would not have enjoyed if not for geocaching. Everyone has their favorite finds, their frustrating finds, and their not-so-great finds. But they are all still finds. It’s a matter of personal preference and not about the owner of the cache!
Please do not remove your caches, or stop enjoying the fun that you got from geocaching just because of my comments. I never imagined that would be the reaction I got from all this. You guys have helped put this corner of Ohio on the geocaching map, and I say the more the merrier! And if you hide another one, regardless of what kind, we would still go after it for the hunt and the fun!
Some are in it for the numbers, some are in it for the hikes, some are in it for the technology, and some are in it for the sites, but they are all geocachers and part of a community that promotes fun and camaraderie! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and they are given freely here. but that shouldn't stop you from doing something you like.
Again, I'm sorry if I upset anyone and hope this will clear things up.
Gene
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=easyrn1:1zylpsmr][img:1zylpsmr]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Shadrack+Benham+Was+Here!&uid=b00f9a8e-bf79-4457-9072-382cfef5641b&bg=1[/img:1zylpsmr][/url:1zylpsmr]
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Classy response.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
teamsox
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by teamsox »

Geo Caching has grabbed my wife with a vengence. She is the one that sets and finds new places to hide caches. I am there for driving duties only.Therefor when somebody attacks her and her decesions I guess I take it personally. Did I overreact? Probably, but when somebody doesn't even know her and makes a comment like that I will defend her with anyway I can. Living in Van Wert Co. you have to place caches where you can find places, maybe you will find something historic or interesting on your trip there. When we were young boys we used to play barnyard baseball, it was so much fun until the adults thought we needed to start a little league. Play by there rules and the only thing that counted was winning at all costs. Is Geo Caching going to get ruined by us adults? I would like to say I am sorry for my reactions, but if I thought she was being picked on I would protect her the same. Keith
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

Wow, all this came up before I even started caching.......gotta love good geo-drama......lol

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

my caches placements still teach me something new...or the geo friends try to... :lol:
and like T-hunter, i just couldn't stop reading it all...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Sometimes it's bring interesting to bring some old topics back to light.
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

TeamMina wrote:Sometimes it's bring interesting to bring some old topics back to light.
I agree. Much better than coming to the forums each day only to read discussion on who is LAST.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I like to hide caches that I would enjoy finding. I want others to do the same. Sometimes the cache that I want to find is a park and grab, sometimes it is a cache inside a drainage culvert, sometimes it is a cache on top of a mountain. I also know that you are never going to please such a diverse group all of the time, so I don't take offense to any comments.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I like to get out and enjoy nature so my hides are to get people out and enjoy nature.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We hide caches in the places Mina tells us too.
Always do what your geodog tells you.
You don't wanna find any presents in your slippers.