Good places for hides???

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

teamfalcon
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Good places for hides???

Post by teamfalcon »

We're looking for some guidance on cache-friendly places to hide a cache in NWO...are there any places known for welcoming caches and having friendly and user-friendly policies? Any advice would be helpful.
TheMoopAlong
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Re: Good places for hides???

Post by TheMoopAlong »

Any public place that you enjoy being is a good start. Picture someone having to wander the area to find what you hid, and if you can see yourself wanting to be there that long, without drawing suspicion, you're on the right track. Where exactly in NWO are you referring too anyway? NWO is kinda large.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=438212:1w7incev][img:1w7incev]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Profile+Assassin&uid=ea7436bc-f6c6-4690-9f4d-7b994f9c893c&bg=1[/img:1w7incev][/url:1w7incev]
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I like areas that have good parking nearby. It makes easier for cachers and turning a fun trip into a bad one(like getting stuck in the mud or a parking ticket) Also make sure there aren't any other caches nearby(within 1/10 of a mile) There was a new cache pop up in my area and I was excited that it was only 15 miles from me. Well it turn out to be 72 ft from one of my caches.
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Erie (County) Metroparks WANT geocaches, but there are so few hiders in that area. Also, Sandusky Co parks have a simple form (just so they know what's in there), allow 1 cache per hider per park. Wood Co Parks are quite a bit more restrictive, you must work closely with a parks official to place a cache).
EASYRN1
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by EASYRN1 »

We just finished 5 new ones in rural Van Wert county, and it again makes me ask why? Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the hunt, just give us the numbers and we're off, but after the initial thrill of FTF on these, we really didn't see anything special about the areas. 4 of the 5 were key holders on ditch-spanning bridges in the middle of nowhere. Nothing historical or scenic, nothing out-of-the-ordinary. So why place a micro cache in an area just to place it? Surely there are more interesting and scenic places to hide a cache. It is similar to the "Micro in a woods" question, Why?
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=easyrn1:1zylpsmr][img:1zylpsmr]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Shadrack+Benham+Was+Here!&uid=b00f9a8e-bf79-4457-9072-382cfef5641b&bg=1[/img:1zylpsmr][/url:1zylpsmr]
teamfalcon

Post by teamfalcon »

Yeah, I guess NWO is large! I was thinking Wood, Lucas, Ottawa or Sandusky County. Any other parks or public areas around there that are cache-friendly?
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Quoting Jimbobwe in his log at GCT4HC , "it is a small world and it's about to get really small with the hundred or so micro's i'm about to stash."

Dejavu Sammy Slinger, I fear...
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
teamsox

Post by teamsox »

Thanks to Easyrb!Thanks to your nice response to our recent hids, half of Team sox is no longer interested in geo-caching ot hiding. WE will be disablingg all of our caches in the near future. You know it is all about the fun! Not about your personal feelings. We like to make them easy and zccessible to all if possible. But eveidently if it isn't a scenic or historic place and a challenge you want them removed. We will be quitting now! Team Sox
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

Team Sox: Hope you really don't disable your hides. Looking at them(I haven't actually found one yet - a little too far yet for me), I think your spots look great! Even ones that seem to have nothing historical or something, brings me to places I've probably never been before and would not have seen without the cache. That's the part of Geocaching that's fun for me. Seeing new places.

I have been looking at some of the caches around my brothers place in Pheonix. Now there is some country that is very much the same...but...since I have never seen it before, I can't wait!

In the flatlands of NW Ohio, some might say that the land is boring, but you have to look for the beauty of the place sometimes. A certain farmhouse or a floc of turkeys, whatever... Same in the desert.

Hope you can hang in there a bit.
Last edited by Stumpy75 on Fri 2006-01-27, 19:54:34, edited 1 time in total.
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Some people want to zip from cache to cache, finding 75 in a day, while others want to hike all day to find 2 to 3 caches. Some people think that the "ignore" feature on the website is for cemetery caches, while others spend 2 minutes signing the log, and another 30 admiring the stones and the lives lived by those people.

Everyone needs to remember, there's something for everybody. (there should be!) And there are a lot of different kinds of everybodies!

Now that we've been caching a while, we've notice a large shift in the kinds of caches hidden and where they were hidden. Is is good or bad? The jury is still out on that, but it's just changed.

I know that I've hidden caches that were not particularly liked.

My MUO caches were hidden out of convienience. I got plenty of crap for my MUO #1. Good Dog wrote in the log for my "MUO #2" cache - "WE NEED TO TALK." I don't think that my skin is thicker than anyone's. After that incident, I didn't think of quitting, I just thought that maybe good dog should stay out of libraries unless he's looking for books, then he can ask the librarian. If you are given contructive criticism, please consider it, but sometimes what makes a "good cache" is a difference of opinion.

There have been caches that I have not really cared for, I might try to avoid that type of hide or that person's hides in the future.

You have a right to hide a cache as long as it's within the rules at GC.com. EASYRN has an opinion, and he has a right to that as well.

Someone else might really appreciate what your up to. Don't quit.
teamsox

Post by teamsox »

n8wgb and black brown dog. Thanks for reminding me that all people are different. wE have had so much negativity since we started that I think the hubby has just given up. I love doing this, but may have to do it on my own, as he is really upset. Thanks again! Team Sox
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

It's easy to take to heart what people say.

Most of us will give crap about it, then gladly converse and be social with you at the next gathering. None of it is personal.

I've created some controversy with my "Thumbs Down List" but it's not really intended for that. It's just highlighting hides I didn't like. I usually give a reason.

I've found caches of almost EVERY style that I've enjoyed, and have found many that I haven't. I have my pet peeves - ask Cheech Gang.

Keep your head up and tell your husband not to take the criticism to heart. Most of the time it's constructive.

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
BlackBrownDog

Post by BlackBrownDog »

and sox, please don't pull them... if we get to go caching Sunday, one of yours is on our cache to find in Van Wert Co! We were planing a 127 trip!
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

TeamSox, the ones that I've done of yours seem like good cache hides to me. We're planning a trip yur area again will be disappointed if you pull your caches.
Pipanella

Post by Pipanella »

Honestly? There aren't that many good places for caches here (Paulding and Van Wert counties). Most of the land has been cleared for farming and there are few city parks. There really aren't even cities!

teamsox, please..........don't disable your caches. This may not be the greatest area for caches, but at least there ARE some. We don't have a lot to work with here.