Travel Bug Rescue (TB-Rescue.com)

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Starkacher
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Travel Bug Rescue (TB-Rescue.com)

Post by Starkacher »

I am happy. Let me tell you why. I released two TBs into the world, one 2&1/2 and one 2 years ago (both in Florida). The first was picked up a few days later by an infrequent, but still active cacher (<200 finds). That TB is still in his hands according to GC.com and I have sent a couple of emails to that cacher asking about the status of my TB and have not received any response. I am purposely not marking it as missing, so that it stays in his inventory as a reminder until I get a response. Six months after my first TB went nowhere, I released my second TB. It was picked up and move about 50 miles to another cache. That cache was found by two other cachers within the next month (neither of them picked up or discovered the TB). About a year after the TB was placed in the cache, the owner moved out of the area and archived all his caches (leaving them in place). That meant that my second TB was either taken by one of the two cachers and they never logged it, it got muggled, or it was now sitting in a cache that would never be found because it was archived. For the past year, I have emailed a couple of the owners of the geocaches that are near to where that cache used to be, asking them if they could check on the archived cache and see if my TB is there. Or, could they tell me the website (or facebook group) of any local cachers' association (like ours), where I might be able to post a note asking if someone would be willing to help. I have also searched the internet trying to find a caching group in that area. Again, I have not received any response. I guess Florida geocachers are... well, lets just say they don't like to respond to emails and avoid calling them bad names. Because of these bad experiences, I have not released any other TBs since then. So, why am I happy now? Well, I heard on one of the podcasts I listen to, about a website called "TB-Rescue.com". I thought it would not hurt to give it a try. On Oct 30th, I posted a rescue request and explained the situation. On October 31st, a Florida geocaching angel from about 60 miles away (as the crow flies), drove to the area, found the old cache, rescued my TB and removed the geotrash from this and another of the nearby caches abandoned by the same owner. He rightfully claimed them as finds. That wonderful geocacher took my TB to a few more caches that he visited while in the area and plans to drop it in a TB Hotel soon. So, I will hopefully be able to follow my TB for a while now and maybe I will finally release a few more. I wanted to post this story to let you know of that "TB-Rescue.com" site, in case you have a TB that is stuck in a cache for a long time.
Swing Dancer
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Re: Travel Bug Rescue (TB-Rescue.com)

Post by Swing Dancer »

That's pretty cool. Did you sign up with the group so that you could rescue TBs around here??
Team ForPawz
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Team ForPawz »

Wow! I've never heard of that site yet. We have one that I think is lost somewhere in Austrailia, but gonna give it a few more months, as it is in what seems to be a remote location. A few people have found it, but none have taken any action with it.
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

I tried to set up a watch area around here to notify me of lost TBs, but there is currently a bug in that part of the website that won't let you set/change your watch area. So, until I can set that up, I will have to look at the map occasionally to see if any new unresolved local requests. Feel free to do the same because it might take me a few days before I notice a request.
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

Sad to find out that the TB-Rescue.com site shutdown a couple of days ago. As noted above, it helped my TB and I am going to return the favor and rescue a TB in Vermilion, OH within a few weeks. I hope someone else is able to take over this site or starts another with the same mission.
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

Yippie. My hope has been answered. Yesterday, Project-GC.com released a BETA version of their TBRescue tool to replace the old TB-Rescue site. I immediately singed up with a 40 mile radius watch area. Please sign up for a region around your home coords (default is 31 miles, but you can change it up to 61 miles). Let's make sure that all of Northwest Ohio, Northeast Indiana and Southern Michigan (and beyond?) are completely covered (hopefully by many overlapping circles) with people watching for TB that needs a rescue. http://project-gc.com/Tools/TBRescue :clap:
This won't last long, but right now, I am fourth in terms of total Square KM being watched at 12,868.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

two weeks shy of a year stuck in a florida cache, one of my tbs' just got retrieved this week...woohoo!!
alsodon't know much about this rescue site jim but thanks for the current updated info, i'll be checking it out...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...