Finds by Day/366 calendar challenge

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Starkacher
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Finds by Day/366 calendar challenge

Post by Starkacher »

Based on conversations I have had at the M & E and elsewhere, I know a couple of us are actively attempting to complete their Finds by Day / 366 calendar grid. I started thinking about doing it in July, and began to fill gaps. At the time my grid was just over half full. So I thought, I would try to fill more than half of the blank days each month. In Sept, I got more serious and tried to fill all the days unless I just could not do it on a day for some reason. As the new year began, I wanted to try to complete it in 2015. I have been successful so far this year. I still have 80 blank days to go. Feb-3, Mar-7, Apr-19, May-15, Jun-15, Jul-5, Aug-8, Sep-4, Oct-2, Nov-1, Dec-1. If I can do the Apr-Jun stretch without a miss, I should complete the 366 days on Dec 1st (just under 4 years of caching). Just trying to fill the gaps has made me realize how hard it would be to maintain a long caching streak like some cachers (woof). My longest streak was 12 days so far. I can barely do all these caches with the breaks for days I already had a cache found. Anyway, I am curious how many other NWOGEO folks are actively trying to fill their 366 finds by day calendar. What do your stats currently look like? What are your goals, thoughts, strategies, etc?
roadkill103
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Finds by Day/366 calendar challenge

Post by roadkill103 »

I once went 5 days with a find. Man was I tired. I don't know how WOOF! does it.
I can't wait till GC breaks down the days to HOURS. Then people will try to complete that too.
Way to much for me to try.

Good luck on filling your calender. Congrat!!! ahead of time.
Last edited by roadkill103 on Sun 2015-02-22, 18:27:33, edited 1 time in total.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
Swing Dancer
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Swing Dancer »

I started seriously working on my Finds by Day calendar last year. I did a 150 day streak, for challenge cache purposes, which helped a lot, but it was pretty easy for me because I was less than a year into geocaching and had just gotten my premium membership so there were still a lot of nearby caches to grab. Right now I have 268 days, but most of the blanks are in the winter which makes it tough for me since it's dark when I'm not at work. My only option is to drive 20-30 miles to grab a lamp post cache, which I won't do, so I've been concentrating on the weekends for now. At this point my only big concern is next years leap day. If I miss that it'll be another four years before I can get it done.
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by SuchaNana »

geez fellas, i've got extras in jan & feb i'll share with ya... :wink:
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

So far I am on track. Only 70 blank days to go. Since I have to find 19 days in April and 15 in each of May and June, I have decided that I might as well cache the days in between and try for a 100 day streak. I am already traveling 10-15 miles away to get caches some of these days. It would be almost impossible for me to do a long streak later as this streak will pretty much clear a 10-15 mile radius (except for the mystery ones I have no idea how to solve).
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

YIPPIE! I made it through the 100 day find streak. Today is the first day that I will NOT get a find. With my luck, that means that there will likely be a bunch of new caches published right next to my house that I will have to ignore the FTF on. I still have 21 blank days on my 366 day calendar to fill. I am glad that the streak is over. Caching was starting to become a chore (not fun) on some of those days. I do not know how Team Mina and others can have such long streaks. I did not like going to an area and picking up only one cache and leaving the ones a few hundred feet away for another day. I still have a few relatively nearby caches to find that I am saving for the 21 blank days, but I can now be a bit more relaxed.
Starkacher

Post by Starkacher »

Well, Dec 1 should have completed my 366 days, but I had missed 1 day in September. So I will have 365/366 days until Sept 23, 2016. Hopefully, I will not miss that date again.
Chaenorrhinum

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

Should we all set reminders to remind us to remind you? :mrgreen: