MightyMo's Passing

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

cachergirl27
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

MightyMo's Passing

Post by cachergirl27 »

EDIT: Here is the link for MightyMo's Obituary
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledo ... fhid=13912

MightyMo passed away on Friday, December 27. His wife called T-hunter today & let him know and asked that we pass the word amongst cachers. The obituary will be in tomorrow's paper. I will try to post a link here when I see it tomorrow.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Re: MightyMo's Passing

Post by jslagle »

I'm very sorry to hear this. He's actually the last cacher I went out on a day trip with - him and I went and spent a day in Tiffin awhile back. It was a good time.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

Was going to post the best time we had with him while caching, but can't pick one just one.
:(
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Sad to hear this, Rick was a good man that will be missed.

This past fall, I saw his red SUV parked at one of his favorite restaurants in downtown Whitehouse. I turned around and walked in. Had a good chat with him for over an hour. Glad I had the opportunity to do that.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Mighty Mo was the first geocacher that myself and the Fam ever met out on the trail. We will miss him. :(
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

So sad to hear this.

I was privileged to be at his #1000 find at Silas Doty's Cave. We had a lot of fun together. RIP Mo...
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

sadly missing Mo already...suchaspecial geocaching ambassador, always ready to share & help with his unique sense of humor... :(
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

He was an integral member of The Buckeye Express and Team Befuddlement. He was appreciated throughout NW OH and SW Michigan.

The only time he could ever be drawn away from working on his Jeeps was when I would call him to go out on a caching excursion.

A great friend and all-around character who will be missed.

Keep on Moseying...Godspeed

Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Team_Maltese
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Team_Maltese »

Sad news indeed, he will be greatly missed :(
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

Mo was a close friend and regular caching partner. I can not tell you how many wonderful days I spent caching with him and the rest of Team Befuddlement. If it was not for geocaching, I do not know if our paths would have crossed, but I know I am a better man for having met him. Yesterday I found one of his caches and thought I should give him a call to catch up. He will be missed! God Bless you and MOsey on!
I am an amazed cacher!
OCCD
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by OCCD »

My favorite Mighty Mo moment was when I received a call that four cachers were at my newly published cache at the Nona France Quarry (you know who you are) and the coordinates put the cache in the middle of water. It proved once again that a cacher with 2000 finds can still bugger up the loading of coordinates. I told Ric "it's in a rock pile. Why you looking near water?". He said, "that's where the coords put us". I said, "I'll be there in five minutes". As I was hanging up I heard Ric say "cool your jets, the CO is on the way".

Now here's the funny part. I never gave Ric my cell phone number, not that I wouldn't, but he overheard me give it to another cacher at a Meet n' Eat and thought it might come in handy someday. Now, that's something I would do!
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

I can definitely say for certain that I am going to miss seeing Ric around. Like many I've got more than a few good caching stories with him, but will always remember our chats at several of the events I attended. Whether that was at an Ann Arbor event he guilted me into hosting last year or chatting with him after T-Hunter's event at Independence Dam several years ago as we watched a nice cedar bench float down the river. Each and every one was memorable.

Last time I got a chance to talk with him was at the Waffle Stomper's he hosted back in May. We stayed and chatted long after almost everyone else had dispersed, even staying long enough to officially be called loafers by the restauranteur as we saw the menu board change. It was a joy talking with him as he reminisced about some trips he had taken and some projects around the house and of course his Jeeps. I learned a lot from him in those talks and will sorely miss having that opportunity in the future.

Earlier in my caching career he gave me a lot of pointers about some do's and don'ts that I believe have helped to improve my hides over time. I am truly thankful that I had an opportunity to have crossed paths with him over the last few years.
roadkill103

Post by roadkill103 »

We're all going to miss Mighty_MO deeply.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Toledo Blade Obituary

Rick Maegley
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
JokerCM
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by JokerCM »

Thanks guys for the great postings and sharing of memories you had with Ric. He truly was a great man. He will be greatly missed by the family and friends. If any of you attend visitation or the funeral please don't hesitate to share these with the family.

JokerCM
(Ric's son-in-law)