Dos and don'ts in US

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

tanjuli
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Dos and don'ts in US

Post by tanjuli »

Hi there,

I will be relocated to Perrysburg, Ohio with my family as soon as we get visas. We are moving to US from Finland for 9-12 months. I will meet you in the events sooner or later, but before it happens I'd like to ask some questions. Geoaching is part of my daily life, but the winter is coming. Do you have any insights for me what I can do and cannot do while caching? Some things might be very obvious for you, but for me life in US will be new.

For example I am used to go anywhere I like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam#Finland), parks, forests whenever I like. I already noticed some signs like do not pass or park open until the dawn in Perrysburg. If it is dark in Finland (right now sunset is 4 pm and days are getting shorter), I'll just take my flashlight and go. It is safe everywhere. I am female and used go caching own my own day and night. If there is snow, I'll take my snowshoes and shovel and go :lol: I climb trees (I have some horizontal limitations) if I can and go to the sewer if there is tupperware there :lol:. Sometimes I drive, sometimes I walk. Distance is meaningless if there is plastic box hidden somewhere. I am not quite sure how big part of my motivation to accept the new job and transfer to Inc was the fact, that US is golden opportunity to find lots of caches :wink:

So any words of wisdow for me? Any advices? Is there lots of snow in Perrysburg? Should I take my snowshoes and shovel to go? What I can do after dark, any limitations? Are there any areas I should avoid when I am alone?

Greetings from Finland!
tanjuli
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?a=1688373
roadkill103
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Dos and don'ts in US

Post by roadkill103 »

Let me be the first to welcome you, I'm sure you'll find the area very caching friendly. There's is a monthly meet and greet nearby, so you'll be able to ask more questions when you arrive. I can answer a few questions, like the one about "Snowshoes" We have heard of such a thing, but only thought they were a fairy tale. lol. You won't need them here. If it gets that bad we just stay indoors. lol. As far as night caching, you will be limited somewhat. Many caches are daytime only. There are some night caches and there are lots of parking lot caches you could do at night. The parks are daytime only as far as I know. Cemeteries are daytime only. That's all I can think of. Welcome to America and to Perrysburg. It's a very nice town.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Welcome to our boards & to Perrysburg (soon)! Roadkill is correct in that we don't generally use snowshoes, although there is a cacher in our area who has a pair but I don't think she's got the chance to try them out in our area. She moved here from Northeast Ohio. There certainly are places that you can use them, though, so be brave & try them out in the parks! Our sunset is usually around 4:30-5:00 p.m. until January, and then it gets darker later from there. The cemetery and park guidelines are strictly enforced, but some parks are actually open until 10 or 11 p.m. You would have to check the sign for each park. There are a lot of park & grabs that you can do at night & most of the areas are safe. I generally would not cache by myself (being a female) at night in some parts of Toledo, but I know others that have.
The monthly meet & eats are held the first Tuesday of the month in Maumee (about 10 minutes from Perrysburg) from 6:30-??? and we are a lively bunch. Please stop through & introduce yourself! Look forward to meeting you! - Jen
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Welcome, we are looking forward to meeting you and your family at one of our monthly gatherings. You may have also noticed we have a much larger holiday gathering on 8 Dec which you may be interested in. It is potluck (everybody brings some food) , but I have a feeling salted herring may get some odd looks. :D

I agree with Roadkill's comments.

In your visit already to the Perrysburg area last month you found caches in one of our Metroparks (including two of mine). That will give you a good example of what we have around here. We have far fewer natural wooded areas than you may be used to at home, and almost all are parkland or government controlled. Almost all are daytime use only (even including the bike trails). Most other wooded areas are owned by farmers and require explicit permission to enter.

A few areas allow hunting during a couple weeks in Nov/Dec. Most of those areas are mentioned in the cache writeups. Check first to see if it is safe, and even then wear bright orange.

I've done plenty of caching in snow. The only special equipment I've used if the snow is over a few inches are "gaiters" to keep the snow out of my hiking boots. I haven't seen snowshoes used, and wouldn't even know where to buy them except on the internet. There are several parks that host cross-country skiing trails. Most snows are 3-6 inches, occasionally more, but not very often. Streets are cleared very quickly.

You should generally have no issues as a female anywhere after dark, with the exception of the city of Toledo. There are many areas to avoid, but generally they have few caches anyway.

Once you are hyere I am sure any number of people would be happy to recommend nearby caches.

Do you have any specific questions?

By the way, one of my wife's best friends who lives nearby is from Finland, and I'm sure she would be thrilled to be able to speak in her native tongue with you!
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
PBZ
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by PBZ »

Welcome!

There is a good bit of activity over in the Last Post Standing thread. With all the focus on being the first to find, the goal is to be the last post in the thread. The rule of the thread is that your post should contain "last" in it somewhere.

For snow, we have 3 emergency levels that can be called by the county sheriff though we have not had a level 3 called in several years.

LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be very icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Motorists should use extreme caution.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.

See you at the next meet & eat!
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

To answer your original question, unlike in Europe, we have NO freedom to roam rights here.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Starkacher
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Starkacher »

Welcome to the Area. There is much to do in the area besides Geocaching to meet all desires. Art and Science Museums, All kinds of sport teams, Zoo, Amusement Parks, etc. FYI: In late May to July it is light until 9:15-9:45 PM.
Chaenorrhinum
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

I am *so* hoping for enough snow to use my snowshoes this winter! And I'd also entertain the idea of a road trip to northeast Ohio for anyone who wants to rent some and try 'em. GeaugaGarmin scheduled an event last year, but it got no-snowed out. If you're just here for one winter, I'd just bring waterproof boots and buy a cheap snow shovel once you get here (or heck, I'll loan you mine!) We have a lot of caches which are off the ground, so shovels aren't really vital equipment.

Being new to the area, I assume that parks are off limits in dark hours, unless they say otherwise.

Also, there *are* parts of Toledo where you shouldn't really go alone at night. But there are plenty of suburban hides, and lots of lovely rural cemeteries with Spirit Quest caches in them.
tanjuli

Post by tanjuli »

Thank you for welcoming me in the area and all the practical advice. It will be somewhat different here, but I have already noticed that the caches are placed in the areas where you can go (not in the forests if it requires permission). I'll just have to learn the difference btw areas which are limited to daytime only and which are not.

Then another question: if the cache has not been found for long time, what to expect. For example: http://coord.info/GC3DFEA
The last log is from March. In Finland I'd assume it is not there anymore and visitors have neglected their DNF logs. Are there so many other options in the area that there is no need to get there? Or is everyone avoiding it because there are no recent logs?
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I've not found that particular cache, however, I tried to be FTF on it and abandoned it because of all the stickers, thick brush & hard walk to get to it, and I was in dress clothes! My assumption (being from around here) is that everyone was avoiding it while there was a lot of active brush. It would be an easier walk in the fall/winter once things start dying off. I would not assume that it's not there or that people aren't logging their DNF's. :)
tanjuli

Post by tanjuli »

Thanks cachergirl27 for the explanation. Next question: what maps are you using? I usually use OSM when I am abroad and it works fine in cities. Today I really missed proper map when I spent the day in Oak Openings park. I didn't have any trails and sometimes I was just guessing which trail to take... I have done some studies, but I'd like to have recommendations.
Waggy6

Post by Waggy6 »

For places like oak openings its best to just get a map from the park itself. If you want to get one online go directly to the website for the park to get a reliable map. Oak openings has maps available at mallard lake and most of the other parks have maps you can get at the park.