GEO PET PEEVES revisited

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

GEO PET PEEVES revisited

Post by SuchaNana »

hmmm, seems as though somewhere i was reading a geo pet peeves thread...oh well, can't remember where or when, so let's start another..i'll go first...

Backwoods Reviewer took another step backwards on 8/15/13 when publishing a new cache GC4JWV7 - seems as though line 2 in the cache description allows
for a cache hide placed with "loose coordinates"... it's ok as long as you warn me? have fun they say - no problem, as you can see, i was loosely FTF...Edge of the Park

not too long ago, i was on my way to a family get together at a michigan lake, diverted off a skosh of time to attempt a FTF where the coords were off by like 500'
and the terrain rating needed to be a 2 down under that bridge - geez never even got so much as an i'm sorry from the cache owner...

what's up with these smartphones with the dumb coordinates and the geo-reviewers who somehow slide 'em thru with publishing but still can't seem to get gc.com to address the problem ?... recently got turned down from a placement from Mr. Ollivander because i was within 10' of another's waypoint - yet i actually walked it off myself before submitting the cache and was 27' over the 528 on a straight line walk from the cache - but not according to his numbers - oh well, so i start again... yet this new cache today gets to publish with loose coords - crapola i say...

coords being spot on & accurate terrain ratings are important to those of us caching with disabilities & somedays when i can't see the cache right in front of my nose... :wink:

arrrrgggghhhh...well, that's my geo pet peeve - thanks for listening...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
Chaenorrhinum
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: GEO PET PEEVES revisited

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

I found myself wondering about the "someone called the cops on me when I placed it - happy caching!" one that got posted recently... Yeah, no.

My newest pet peeve is COs who delete 'needs maintenance' logs instead of actually performing maintenance and logging it.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Regarding "loose coords".

When I hid The Cache Placed with a Dopey Phone.my writeup alluded to potential coord inaccuracy. Even though Keystone knew it was a joke and I had placed it with my GPS he wanted me to say so in the Reviewer notes just to have it on record in case somebody ever questioned it.

And the "called the cops on me" cache went straight to the ignore list. I've seen a lot of unusual stuff in almost 10 years in this hobby but that's a first.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
BarnacleBear
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by BarnacleBear »

You have an 'ignore list'?
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Junk in the hint section. Out in the field, need a hint, decode it, and all you get is "are you kidding" or 'none needed", or some other non-hint garbage.

Pretty minor though, in the whole scheme of things.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Cachers who list a magkey or a matchstick holder as a size 2 because "there's room for very small trade items".
Just because a tiny log & a $1 bill can be folded up in your cache, does not make it bigger than a micro. Sorry.