Do you delete online logs that aren't physically signed?

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Team_Maltese
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Do you delete online logs that aren't physically signed?

Post by Team_Maltese »

We were surprised this weekend when one of our nearby caches was logged in a language we didn't recognize. It turned out to be Portuguese, and a quick check of the cacher's recent logs indicated that he probably never left Portugal. He may have made a mistake entering GC codes or had an error using a computer program to aid in his logging, but regardless, we checked the physical log and did not see his name, so we dropped him an email and then deleted his online log.
Now here's were it gets interesting...While checking the physical log for the Portuguese signature, we noticed that the online logger before Mr Portugal had not signed the physical log either. This cacher had logged several of our caches in one day, as well as the entire JONA trail in Indiana, for a daily total of around 185 caches. While this is entirely possible, we checked a few more of our caches that were also logged online by this user, and none of them had been signed on the physical log.
In this case we chose to delete the online logs, but are curious on how others choose to deal with similar situations.
Do you check with the cachers to see if they logged the wrong cache, do you just delete them with no warning or messages, or do you not bother because they are only cheating themselves?
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Do you delete online logs that aren't physically signed?

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I have deleted one similar to your Portuguese logger. I would probably do it again.
As for your more local armchair logger, I honestly think I would look the other way. If they want to cheat, let them cheat, it doesn't affect me.
Stumpy75
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by Stumpy75 »

I would do just as you did. For Mr. Portugal, drop them an e-mail, and then delete the log. By dropping them an email, you are making contact and explaining why you are deleting the log. That sounds like the reasonable thing to me, because either it was a mistake, or obvious fraud, but either way, it should be handled nicely!

Like most, I don't check the physical logs much, but if I found something obvious like you did, I'd delete them. We had another local individual that did the same thing, and I deleted every one of those...
PBZ

Post by PBZ »

Wait! You mean that others don't go check the cache out every time they get a found it email?!?
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

I did not get any bogus Potugese logs, but I'm thinking of going and entering one myself.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Eu gostei encontrar seus maravilhosos geocaches americanos. Dos quais, esse cache de seu, foi um deles. Eu rememeber vividamente, exceto para as especificidades. Por favor, não apague meu log, estou entediada, sem vida e caches de log eu não encontrei.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

TeamMina wrote:Eu gostei encontrar seus maravilhosos geocaches americanos. Dos quais, esse cache de seu, foi um deles. Eu rememeber vividamente, exceto para as especificidades. Por favor, não apague meu log, estou entediada, sem vida e caches de log eu não encontrei.
:up:
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

TeamMina wrote:Eu gostei encontrar seus maravilhosos geocaches americanos. Dos quais, esse cache de seu, foi um deles. Eu rememeber vividamente, exceto para as especificidades. Por favor, não apague meu log, estou entediada, sem vida e caches de log eu não encontrei.
LOL :D
woof-woof
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

If its an obvious armchair logger, I'd delete it. If its a local cacher, I'd give every benefit of the doubt by contacting him/her first and asking them if its possible they made a mistake. That happens. They can then correct the mistake.

Way back when, it wasn't REQUIRED to sign the log, although it was suggested and generally expected. Individual cache owners policed this as they saw fit, some required a physical signature, some didn't. Today's guidelines language is much less vague.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

We dropped an inquiry to the cacher in question and asked for a reasonable explanation. We also asked, in the event they had physical limitations, if there was anything we could do with our hides to make their caching experience more enjoyable.
Jolah (jola500) also sent a similar message, as the cacher in question never actually signed any logs on the JOLA powertrail on their sweep through Michigan, Ohio and Indiana on the way to Iowa. Seems a bit odd that they forgot to stop in Illinois on the way through...but things are often not as they appear...
roadkill103

Post by roadkill103 »

I don't delete any of my cache find logs. I don't get that many, so I can't afford to. lol

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

I have in the past but I don't care anymore........lol :?

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

likewise :up: did earlier on, til i got a few not signed but logged by those i know and then decided it didn't matter anymore to me...not worthy of an inquiry :| ...
especially since my "signature logs" are sometimes, well :wink: you know, circumspect, yet "accepted" by y'all...
difficulty levels require me to bring along a retrieval/surrogate log hand from another cacher while still being in the vicinity of the cache in real time, not armchair...
trekking thru sand horse trails and over the mole hole bushwhack with my walker to ancient lake was but one of many caching adventures ...
then again, i do have written permission dispensation from the Grand Geo Poobah on file with Keystone... 8)
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I deleted a few a while back but quickly found it wasn't worth checking log sheets. Arm chair logging is no skin off my teeth. Especially since almost all of my caches are premium only.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

Sounds like you went the extra mile. I don't check logs, never did unless it suspicous, who has the time? I will delet obvious frauds and those Indiana caches sure sound like it.