Woodtick Caches

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

DannyNLuke
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Woodtick Caches

Post by DannyNLuke »

Is anyone interested in going for the caches on Woodtick peninsula?

We (2 of us) would like to go by foot. We would love some company and any advice.
Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Woodtick Caches

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I am interested, if the date works out for me. When are you planning on going?
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Choose a date with a west wind and maybe after a couple west wind days.
DannyNLuke
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by DannyNLuke »

Well, I have looked for the most recent aerial photos to see what kind of hike we would be facing...
It appears that the peninsula has for the most part eroded into islands.

Is there anyone who might know if it is still possible to hike this? Any bit of hope?

Handyman, we are thinking that we should wait until we get a good freeze (if we get a freeze this winter), and possibly check it out then?

That is the plan unless we get some good pointers or company who is confident about an earlier expedition.
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

By default I am probably the resident expert on the Woodtick caches. With help from some caching friends I organized two events on Woodtick. They are GC1WTMV and GC1E6YR if you are interested in history.

Yes you can walk to both A Walk on Woodtick (GC11QM9) and Journey to North Cape (GC13X5W). I have walked to both. You will want to park your car near the Power Lady (GC34E) and then it is the better part of a 4 mile hike one way to Journey to North Cape. I have the coords for all the stages to Walk on Woodtick so send me a message on GC.com and I can give you my cell phone number for a phone a friend. You might want to plan to bring an extra micro that can be Zip-tied to a tree to replace a stage if one is missing. I re-zip-tied a couple stages the last time I was out there and replaced the final too. The final is not going any where unless a muggle discovers it and really wants it. The cache owner is very appreciative of everyone else who has helped maintain his cache for him.

The walk out ia quite an adventure but well worth the effort. Mo's advice on the weather is correct. The stages of Walk on Woodtick will get you most of the way down the island. Follow the beach as much as possible. There are some areas where you will find trails a little way into the woods that parallel the beach, but the further south you get the less traveled the area is. For the last three quarters of a mile or so to Journey to North Cape you will not be following any trails or much of any beach. Towards the end of Woodtick the nice straight beach disappears and there is a lagoon. You can walk across the lagoon. The water never gets more than knee deep. I do not know if you can walk around it and stay dry. I just cut straight across it on the advice of a fellow cacher.

I did not cover Un"guarded" Cache (GCJW67) in my story above because I have never walked to it. However several people, all of who are much nuttier than I, have walked to it in the winter. Apparently the ice in the area can get thick enough to walk to it. Wildwonz, mdwalsh19 and armygreenX walked it in 2011. You can read their logs on the cache page. In addition, there was an event in 2005 conveniently called Operation Ice Walk 2005 (GCMNY9) that also made the winter time walk to the cache.

Now that I have written all of this, let me know when you are going and I might just join you for the adventure!
I am an amazed cacher!