Which GPS Do You Like??

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

harold
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Re: Which GPS Do You Like??

Post by harold »

I had been just hanging it around my neck with a lanyard. I just ordered the more expensive Ram mount with the u-bolt from Amazon. I have a Ram mount for my Motorola Droid 3 and I really like it. Guess I''l find out in a week how far it sits above the handlebars. It looks kind of tall.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

I ordered the Garmen mounts from Amazon... the Ram seemed too bulky particularly if on my road bike. It will be interesting to compare notes. Thx for the reply.
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
harold

Post by harold »

Here's what I came up with. When I opened the box last night I thought I was in trouble. This thing is big. But I got it wrapped around and it's really solid. Sits way lower than my phone, which is hooked up to a portable battery pack.

cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

Do you need a pilot's license to operate that contraption?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

A crash could prove to be VERY expensive. 8O
harold

Post by harold »

I only crash when I'm on ice. Been several decades since doing anything that silly.
styx

Post by styx »

I see.... that is not the mount that I was going to use. The cradle is the same but the mount I saw zip tied to the top of the handle bar and had a quick release on the back of the diamond mount. It would have sat up a great deal higher, been more fragile (according to the reviews), and could not be positioned low under the bar as yours can.

My Garmin mounts just arrived today from Amazon. Should have one on this weekend. I'll post pics.
styx

Post by styx »

OK... not on the bike yet but this will give you an idea of the size of the Garmin mount.

Bike pictures likely tomorrow.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

styx wrote:OK... not on the bike yet but this will give you an idea of the size of the Garmin mount.

Bike pictures likely tomorrow.
I have that same mount on my four wheeler.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

harold wrote:Here's what I came up with. When I opened the box last night I thought I was in trouble. This thing is big. But I got it wrapped around and it's really solid. Sits way lower than my phone, which is hooked up to a portable battery pack.

Holy crap!
You're set-up is more exciting than the Mudhens game we just got back from!
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

Those wire tie mounts work good for road biking but I would recommend using a RAM mount for off road biking. They are a little more expensive but it cradles the unit and doesn't move. I have a wire tie model on my road bike and RAM on my mountain bike.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
harold

Post by harold »

Mina, I forgot to mention that the bike folds in half so it can sit on the passenger seat of the truck or go in the trunk of the car.
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by McCombRef »

On the original topic, are any of you noticing that when people use their smart phones to hide/place caches the coordinates are way off? Or do you think that they are just not checking to see if the marked spot is acurate?
styx

Post by styx »

Most GPS units allow coordinate averaging.... The unit takes multiple coordinates over several minutes and gives you the average of all of them. I do that a couple of times until the final results are consistent. I don't believe smart phones are inherently that accurate and they do not appear to have that feature.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

I wouldn't think we'd ever have a day when we would place a cache using our iphone for coords.

I think the problem with iphone caching is often how good your coverage is, and if you are waiting accordingly for it to settle down on where you are.
We always figured the problem with trying to set coords by people who have only cached with the iphone is that they watch the coords change & roll as they travel along off the mapping system they are using, and assume a spot from there. Without ever really stopping and setting a coord like a handheld.

So, on this subject, just now we went and looked up iphone coordinate location apps (ones which show you exactly where you are in the world with coords displayed). The first one was junk and was convinced we were over a mile away. The second one, upon zooming in, put us in our living room with the coord set along with preferred by geocaching. Much of Fulton County this LAST week went 4G for AT&T, so we assume that is helping alot too.

So, I guess our answer is, as of now, people setting coords using their iphone will be only as accurate as how they well they know how to use their iphone.