Which GPS Do You Like??

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Which GPS Do You Like??

Post by scuba »

I am thinking about getting a new GPS. Just wondering which GPS you have, and what the strong points are and the weak points. Or which GPS would you like to own?? Or what you know about other GPS and why you would not buy it or would buy it. Let me know your opions. thanks
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Which GPS Do You Like??

Post by TeamMina »

After starting with some base models of Garmin, we have been exclusively using Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx.
They have never let us down, and allow 1000 waypoints to be added.
They are discontinued, but I'm sure Garmin has a comparable version.
Last edited by TeamMina on Sun 2012-06-10, 22:56:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I use a DeLorme GPSr. I currently have 3 PN60w, PN-60wSE, and a PN-40SE

The PN-60s store 1500 and the PN-40 stores 1000 waypoints (geocaches and waypoints) internally but they have the ability to store almost an unlimited number in "files" on the SD card (can be up to 32GB). You get maps for the entire USA in 6 DVDs that are "semi Topo" detailed. There are 2 (1 year) map subscriptions available and provide the ability to download unlimited amounts of Color ariel USGS topo maps and others. The maps are yours to keep even after the subscriptions run out. I particularly like the USGS quads because the show which side of the creek the cache is on.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

Garmin GPSMAP 62s.....

If you insert an sd card you can literally have any number of 500 cache GPX files on board and do not have to switch between them.. They are all active. I think I have TOPO or the equilivant loaded to give me detailed maps and I subscribed to their satellite image service and have sat imagery for any areas I am in. Ultimately it is about the accuracy. Usually I get signals down to 9 ft accuracy. What does NOT work well is the built in electronic compass. It always gives you the right direction to the cache (ie SW) but while it says to go SW it is actually pointing somewhere else. Solved this by attaching a button compass to the strap and following that (ie to the SW) instead. Hope that made sense. 8O
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

Well, we aren't very organized so we keep a lot of stuff on hand. Unfortunately, most of it is outdated already, but that's the nature of electronics.
The Mr prefers his trusty Garmin Colorado, and although it is outdated by modern standards it has been fairly trustworthy.
We have a Garmin Dakota that sees little use - it has a small touchscreen that is hard to see and needs small fingers. It does make a good back-up unit though.
We have a Magellan Explorist that is on loan to ApathyKandi. We never used it much ourselves so not real familiar with it.
The Mrs prefers her iPhone and we have a few iPads as well, but they have certain limitations and I look at them as complimenting a true GPSr rather than replacing them. She would probably tell you differently though, as she is pretty handy with the Apple branded equipment.
We also have a pair of Garmin Nuvi 1450's for driving to caches - you can direct input the coords of a cache. This is especially helpful during FTF runs :-) You can download pocket queries as well, but not sure how to select individual caches. They show up on the screen as you drive down the road, but I think they might be saved as points of interest; we never took the time to figure it out.
When it comes time to replace the Colorado, I will probably stick with Garmin and look at the Montana or Oregon. I also like the Garmin that T-Hunter has, but I don't recall the exact model - I think it is a GPSMAP60, and there are a few sub-models available. It has some really nice features that are absent on the Colorado.
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
McCombRef

Post by McCombRef »

My Magellan GC has had over 4,000 GPX files stored in it at once. This makes it nice for caching along a route if you are going on longer trips.

It sometimes times when it freezes for a few seconds and updates slowly. But it is as accurate as any oterh unit I have used.

The biggest downfall I have seen is that it can't do chirps or weherigo caches. A good selling point is that it only costs $139 new and, according to the Magellan rep, there is a topo update coming soon.
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I use a Garmin Oregon 300 and pretty happy with it.
styx

Post by styx »

After reading a few of the posts I should add....

The GPSMAP62s replaced the 60 series. There are a few sub models... The "s" is the middle one. The base unit will not accept a memory chip so I would avoid it. The next one up comes preloaded with TOPO maps but is more $$$.

The unit will do "Chirps" - the only time it went off was at last years MWGB, someone had their geomobile tagged.

It will NOT do Wherigo caches.

It is "paperless" although I haven't used it for field notes etc. as without a touch screen the interface is a little clunky.

It does allow you to enter the next stage for multi's .... that is something that I do use.

It WILL freeze up if you load the sd card with too many GPX files/caches at the same time. (I'm talking thousands here)... After you load the files it sorts it internally into some form of data base. The last time I traveled I loaded 4-6 thousand files (4-6 GPX files with 1,000 caches each) and had to perform CPR on the poor thing. It recovered but now I limit it to 4 GPX files of 500 caches at a time. Once it loads these you can add more but you should let it load and sort only those many at a time.

Oh... It is indestructible as I found out doing one of the swirly rest area caches. I was in my RX-7 and left it on the roof of the car when I got in. Took off down the on ramp to get back onto 23 North and heard/watched it bounce off my rear spoiler and onto the road when I hit somewhere > 60 mph. It bounced a few times and managed not to be crushed by the SUV and semi that was following me. It got a few scratches and nothing more. I even think that the compass might have started working a little better after that episode. :wink:
allenite

Post by allenite »

I've been using a DeLorme PN-60 since January 2011 (~2500 finds) and have been very happy with it. Part of my decision was based on the fact that I've never been keen on a touch screen with the fact it is dropped, beat around, and used in all weather. I got mine on a great sale at the time $220 from a then $400 price tag. Now you can pick it up on Amazon for $250.

The cache capacity on this unit is great. I travel around a lot of area, so at any given point there is usually upwards of 7-8k caches on it across multiple files. I have really enjoyed this for cross-country trips or long vacations, which have included 12-15k more waypoints on the route. Each file holds 1500 waypoints (cache, parking, trailhead, etc.). I try to keep the files under a thousand waypoints as the performance seems a bit better. You are able to add waypoints, delete caches, update coordinates on the cache itself versus add stages (some Garmins do not) while in each file. I also have one file on it that stores all my hides, so when I have a cache maintenance issue, I am able to pull up coords and get to the cache (I have a hard time remembering some of my trail caches).

The unit is paperless and supports fields notes as do most of the new units. One thing I have noticed is that it does not seem to truncate the description on caches with extremely long listings, think earthcaches that have questions at the bottom. I have some friends with Garmins that this does happen with. (Not sure if this has been corrected in more recent firmware listings or not). As mentioned earlier, it does come with extensive amounts of maps, which includes streets, POIs, and topo. It even has a lot of ORV trails and old rail lines on it (at least in northern Michigan).

As for cons, it does have a distinctive cord, so if going to an event, be sure to bring it. Otherwise, you may not get loaded. The battery life is not as good as my previous units, but I don't think many are. This past weekend, it lasted about 14-15 hours on a set of Duracell ProCell batteries. I recall it is around 8 hours on Rayovacs. There is a rechargeable pack you can buy, but it just did not work as conveniently for me as using regular batteries. There is an option to route on streets, but it does not seem to really have the horsepower to do that effectively (that is what the Nuvi is for).

Previously, I used a Garmin 60Cx, which replaced my lost Garmin 60CSx. I loved these GPSrs, but the paperless and field notes eventually lured me away from them. My mom uses it on occasion and I do loan it out from time to time, so they still get a fair amount of use. These have always been reliable and very durable. Until recently, I still placed all my caches with them.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

To add to allenite's excellent info, as for paperless caching, the DeLorme PN-60 will display a 10,000 character description and Logs. I have never had a a description lo logs truncated.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Garmin Oregon 400T

Pros:
Very detailed topo maps
Touch screen
Chirp and Wherigo Compatible
LONG battery life
Very accurate for finding caches(usually 10 feet or less)
Can hold a ton of waypoints on SD card. 1000 without SD card

Cons:
Not accurate for hiding caches(I have no idea why)
Hard to see screen in direct sunlight
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Haven't found the perfect GPS unit yet. Features I would like would be a l-a-r-g-e display screen, preferably at least 4" diagonal. Color of course, hi-res or better. Should have replaceable AA batteries, not a proprietary battery pack. Uses a regular USB or some type of standard tether to load stuff, not another b***ta*d proprietary cord to forget. SD or mini/micro SD card, accessible without removing a battery pack cover and/or battery pack. Accurate down to 2 meters. Intuitive to use, don't make me drill down 4 levels just to complete a simple task. All USA detailed street and topo and sat maps on board, selectable with one or two key presses. Wifi enabled, with the ability to search and load caches on the fly. Oh, and good customer service.

My current unit is an older Magellan Explorist XL. Large color display, SD card on the side, complete street level maps of entire USA (no sat or topo), AA batteries, largely intuitive operation. Almost unlimited GPX files on SD card. It has a proprietary-to-USB cord, but I rarely use it since the SD card pops right out and I just load that. No wifi. No bluetooth. And the lousiest customer service on the planet, found that out after needing them on an old Magellan Meridian Gold. Broke the display on my Explorist once (put a seat belt buckle through the glass display cover), didn't even bother with customer service that time. Just sent it to a private guy that rebuilds these, and got a new display assembly, entire outer case, battery compartment, and keypad for $75 total. Don't know what I'll buy if that one bites the dust for good.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

scuba

Post by scuba »

Thanks to all who sent in a reply. I am still not sure what I will get. I like different things about each one. I guess I have to do more research. Thanks again.
harold
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by harold »

I upgraded this spring to a Garmin GPSmap 62s with our trusty Garmin eTrex Venture HC as a backup now. I got the streetmaps card for road navigation to a cache, then switch to the compass screen for making the find. Worked really slick on a Michigan bike path this week.
styx

Post by styx »

harold wrote:I upgraded this spring to a Garmin GPSmap 62s with our trusty Garmin eTrex Venture HC as a backup now. I got the streetmaps card for road navigation to a cache, then switch to the compass screen for making the find. Worked really slick on a Michigan bike path this week.
Which mount do you use for your Garmin (if you use one). I'm looking at the stock mount vs the Ram mounts.