Strange things happen.....

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Strange things happen.....

Post by GrizzFlyer »

A couple of days ago, Mrs Grizzflyer's employer called her and asked if geocachers left geocaches on front porches without the property owners permission. About a month ago, she found the cache on her front porch, and didn't know what to do about it. It is GCA614, the Buckeye Trail CD Music Xchange, on the towpath west of Waterville. She lives to the north of the cache, across the towpath, across the old water-filled canal, and up the hill through the trees. The cache was very close to the property line, and may have technically been on her property. She owns all the way down to the river except for the 150' strip of former canal that is owned by the State of Ohio, and looked over by the Metroparks. It is unknown who put the cache there or why, I can only make a guess that it was out in the open and a ranger found it or had it turned in to them and they "returned" it, or an adjacent property owner found it and "returned" it. Anyway, it is the container with no lid, 6 CD's, and the original logbook. I emailed the cache owner to see what he wants me to do with it. The property owner does not want it on her property, and it appears that the original location is compromised anyway. I can place it farther down the trail, we'll see what the C/O wants to do.

This cache was originally placed 11/8/2002, 4 days before I started caching.

Grizzflyer (Daryll)
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Strange things happen.....

Post by cheechgang »

I remember the cache owner had asked if anybody wanted to adopt it when the container was first reported missing. I have a couple extra ammo cans and I had considered replacing it and adopting it , but the nearest "legal" parking is quite a distance.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Grizz, maybe with your "connections" maintenance wouldn't be an issue.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We had heard it went missing, and can only be thankful the cache has wound up in responsible hands.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Checked out the area last week, and there were no good places to put a cache of that size (CD Music Xchange) that was not on private property or in the canal and would get wet or be not accessible a good portion of the year. Emailed the C/O, and at his request I mailed him the log book. The cache will probably get archived eventually, unless somebody else wants to give it a go. That area is public property only on a strip of land about 150' wide, which includes the towpath on the south side of it, and then across the old canal. The property on the river side of the towpath is private a few feet off the towpath.

Greenback, the cache owner, made an observation after he received the logbook. He noticed that in the old days, people wrote a pageful of notes when logging the cache. No longer, they are mostly one-liners now. Guess I'm guilty of that too, most of the time. I'll try to elaborate more in the future, on the larger caches that have a larger logbook.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

Logs are short due to space considerations. I don't even use my styx/Pax stamp unless it's a reasonable size log. The place to expound is probably in the online logs. I always appreciate a good story written there.
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?