Virtual Travelbugging????

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Recently had a log on a TB I've been watching, where it was discovered "on a gallery page". Never have seen that before, so I did a bit of looking around on the Groundspeak forum regarding that subject. Found THIS thread. Seems some folks are logging TB's that they have never had in their hands, or were even close to. They see them on a gallery page, and if the tracking number is visible in the photo, they log it.

Everybody plays the game their own way I suppose.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Virtual Travelbugging????

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I once logged a TB that I saw in a non geocaching magazine. I don't recall if I logged a note or a discovery. I also posted scans of the magazine article to the TB log, so the TB owner could enjoy the article too.
I think that is the only time, I don't make a habit of looking through people's photos for TB numbers.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

my travelbug teams are with me sometimes too long, but eventually get into caches... :up: -passing on the virtual bugs...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

Seems like it goes against the intent of the traveler concept - you should discover the traveler in person and log it, maybe move it along if you so desire. I guess we have "discovered" printed lists of large clusters, such as that giant peace sign with a couple dozen tags at the last holiday shindig, and maybe that traveling fence at the last MWGB, but at least we had our hands on the travelers. The printed list just saved a bunch of time writing down all those numbers :-)
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

In special circumstance...
Like someone in CA seen one of our smathtags, and not only had the tattoo of that exact design on above her foot, but had the tattoo registered with a TB number tattoed on her as well.
So we agreed to trade her the smathtag as long as she took a picture of it with her tattoo, and so we could discover her artwork.
Attachments
al.jpg
al.jpg (117.04 KiB) Viewed 12143 times
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

TeamMina wrote:In special circumstance...
Like someone in CA seen one of our smathtags, and not only had the tattoo of that exact design on above her foot, but had the tattoo registered with a TB number tattoed on her as well.
So we agreed to trade her the smathtag as long as she took a picture of it with her tattoo, and so we could discover her artwork.
Seems more than fair and reasonable given the circumstances, and certainly not an everyday occurrence! Great artwork, too :-)
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

That is how Rufus find TB's!

Okay, now for my more serious comment. A while back I ran across a cacher who had found discovered a large number of Jeep travel bugs. He was just randomly entering numbers until he got a hit. Apparently he has a lot more time on his hands than I do. I can not remember his name. Maybe Mo does since he is our resident Jeep TB expert.
I am an amazed cacher!
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I remember something like that but can't remember who it was. No do let that behavior concern me. Probably be cause I don't get excited about TBs - except for Jeep TBs so I can put them in my Jeep Road cache.
GrizzFlyer

Post by GrizzFlyer »

OnDHunt wrote:That is how Rufus find TB's!

Okay, now for my more serious comment. A while back I ran across a cacher who had found discovered a large number of Jeep travel bugs. He was just randomly entering numbers until he got a hit. Apparently he has a lot more time on his hands than I do. I can not remember his name. Maybe Mo does since he is our resident Jeep TB expert.
The one I ran across is an old guy in Texas, retired Coast Guard, and uses his dogs account to log Jeep TB's. Leaves nasty notes. I found him as I was going to release the several Jeep TB's I have (have one of each series), placing them one at a time in Mighty Mo's Jeep cache. Since the Jeep TB's are not "owned" by anyone, couldn't delete the nasty notes, and the TB's are still sitting here.

I like the tattoo TB, definitely unique ink.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

TeamMina wrote:In special circumstance...
I can't see the TB #...
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

If anyone wants to see the TB number that is in the ads for TBs on gc.com. The number is JHBHWP.
I didn't know it was possible to lock a TB page.
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

Trackable pages and Cache pages can be locked by volunteer reviewers or by Groundspeak lackeys in cases of abuse (which are fairly rare). This is the electronic equivalent of muzzling von Sweinigus.

Those interested in having Keystone lock a particular page (the "Freezer Service") should request my PayPal information if they don't already have it for my "Puzzle Location Finder" service or my "Anti-Puzzle Disclosure Insurance" service or my "Advanced Notice of FTF Opportunities" service.
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

lol at keeping it in perspective...wtg Keystone...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Btw, we wound up three three days behind missing the girl with the octopus tattoo at Mingo and Arikaree. So close!