Some updated GC.com stuff

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Some updated GC.com stuff

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I have long thought that geocaching might be construed as drug activity. That is the main reason that when hunting a cache I try not to look around to see if someone is watching me. That might make me look suspicious,
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

If a cache is found and going to get muggled, guess it doesn't matter if it's camoed or not, labeled or not.
If someone wants it, they'll take it.

Just writing the GC# on the cache could confuse muggles even more. Seeing a code they don't understand could be worse than just being plain.
Might think something more insidious nature is involved with it.

Rather just write geocaching.com on them, as a helpful note, and an advertisement.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I don't think the "muggle factor" i.e.stealing the cache is the issue here. If you place it in the wild you should expect it will disappear when a kid finds it. That's just the chances we take. I find a recent comment by a cache owner that they were shocked when someone actually took their pill bottle from the crotch of a tree, in a high muggle area to be comical.

Remember bomb squads are practicing on our geocaches. A GCID number on the cache could, allow a law enforcement officer (LEO) to call in and have dispatch determine if an official geocache is known to be at that location. As you know, Google maps will show the location quite accurately. The word "Geocache" could be put on an insidious device to enable it to remain after discovery and involvement of a LEO. Some training by LEO will be required but at least they would have a method available to identify a benign geocache versus a more insidious device.