Updated Challenge Cache Rules

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Updated Challenge Cache Rules

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

It specifically states in the link provided by cheech:
A challenge cache should recognize the completion of a personal achievement, rather than the winner of a competition. For example, a challenge cache based on "First to Finds" is a competition between geocachers, and is therefore not publishable.
I know of several caches that are solely based on FTFs. At least one in Michigan, and at least one in Indiana. I am almost positive that this isn't a new or updated rule, just a rule that appears to have been ignored by a few hiders and reviewers.

I am pretty sure there are enough examples to bore everyone, but I would just like to see everything consistent. All of the reviewers should be on the same page. If it is not allowed, as per the rules, I should not be able to go to Indiana or Michigan and be able to find one.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

All the reviewers play with the same rule book.
But much like baseball umpires, everyone's strike zone is different. :mrgreen:
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:I know of several caches that are solely based on FTFs. At least one in Michigan, and at least one in Indiana. I am almost positive that this isn't a new or updated rule, just a rule that appears to have been ignored by a few hiders and reviewers.
I believe these particular strikes bounced a few feet in front of home plate. :lol:
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

cheechgang wrote:IMHO, some challenges were getting crazier and crazier and were taking up too much valuable reviewer time, reminiscent of the downfall of the virtual cache. This is an attempt to rein them in.
That's about the size of it.

Congrats to all who have posted to this thread and/or have created Challenge Caches in Northwest Ohio. Reading this thread, you guys clearly "get it." That is why, when my review workload got too busy, I made sure to keep just my home area and your area, the places where reviewing is especially fun.

I have qualified for the 88 Ohio Counties Challenge and lack just a handful of grids for the Ohio DeLorme, but have no intentions of logging either one as a find. Now, if there were to be a Northwest Ohio version, why that would be covered by the rules clarification, would it not? I would not regard similar challenge caches in Toledo and, say, Youngstown, as "stacked." This would merit a roadtrip from Pittsburgh to Toledo. All that's hypothetical, of course.

Speaking of which, did you ever wonder what the world would be like if there were no hypothetical questions?
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

KeystoneGC wrote:Speaking of which, did you ever wonder what the world would be like if there were no hypothetical questions?
I think my head just went :blowup: following the recursive nature of that thought.
allenite

Post by allenite »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:I know of several caches that are solely based on FTFs. At least one in Michigan, and at least one in Indiana. I am almost positive that this isn't a new or updated rule, just a rule that appears to have been ignored by a few hiders and reviewers.
There are more than one of those in Michigan, but this one near Lansing might be of more local interest....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC2G8Z0. I think at least one forum regular would qualify this.
KeystoneGC

Post by KeystoneGC »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote: I know of several caches that are solely based on FTFs. At least one in Michigan, and at least one in Indiana. I am almost positive that this isn't a new or updated rule, just a rule that appears to have been ignored by a few hiders and reviewers.

I am pretty sure there are enough examples to bore everyone, but I would just like to see everything consistent. All of the reviewers should be on the same page. If it is not allowed, as per the rules, I should not be able to go to Indiana or Michigan and be able to find one.
You have to accept some of this in a world where caches are reviewed by dogs rather than by computers.

It is possible that the referenced FTF challenges were created before the rule against FTF challenges was clearly articulated to the reviewer team. Or, if the referenced FTF challenges started three months ago and six months ago, it's always possible that one or two dogs didn't get the memo.

No reviewer is infallible. For example, I published a "100 DNF's" Challenge even after the "positive accomplishment" guideline interpretation was communicated to the reviewers. You see, I personally think that logging a DNF when I can't find a cache IS a positive accomplishment. Not enough people log their DNF's, and I saw the challenge as encouraging better logging behavior. I learned that I was wrong. Those mean frogs cut my pay by half for that month.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know, who is Jasmer? :?
KeystoneGC

Post by KeystoneGC »

TeamMina wrote:This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know, who is Jasmer? :?
Yes, I know.

Do you have any other questions?
KeystoneGC

Post by KeystoneGC »

Anticipating the next request, I'm posting to explain that all "Jasmer Challenges" are named after Northern California geocacher jasmerb, who created the very first Jasmer Challenge Cache. He also wrote the GSAK Macro that makes it so easy to check progress in completing the Challenge.

I will note that I am missing just two months in order to complete this Challenge: July and August of 2000. I believe this calls for a venture into Mittenland.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

KeystoneGC wrote: I will note that I am missing just two months in order to complete this Challenge: July and August of 2000. I believe this calls for a venture into Mittenland.
If you wanna go halfers on a boat trip to Power Island, let me know. :wink:
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

"If a geocacher is required to alter their caching style or habits... the cache will not be published."

Wouldn't travelling to Mittenland for this purposse be an artificially imposed change of caching habits?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

cheechgang wrote:"If a geocacher is required to alter their caching style or habits... the cache will not be published."

Wouldn't travelling to Mittenland for this purposse be an artificially imposed change of caching habits?
However I suspect the existing Jasmer challenges are grandfathered.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

KeystoneGC wrote:Anticipating the next request, I'm posting to explain that all "Jasmer Challenges" are named after Northern California geocacher jasmerb, who created the very first Jasmer Challenge Cache. He also wrote the GSAK Macro that makes it so easy to check progress in completing the Challenge.
I'll be you don't know who "Fizzy" is?
allenite

Post by allenite »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
KeystoneGC wrote: I will note that I am missing just two months in order to complete this Challenge: July and August of 2000. I believe this calls for a venture into Mittenland.
If you wanna go halfers on a boat trip to Power Island, let me know. :wink:
At the MiGO winter social, they auction off two rides every year. Usually goes around $200. The boat holds four people. He will also try and get you one of the caches in the bay as well, but when we were there none of us could spot the container to try and hook it. Since it was 40 degrees in the water none of us also wanted to get wet.