Munzee

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Munzee

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Just heard about this game today. I see others on this board have been playing it though.

About Munzee

So far, I know very little about it, other than you need a smart phone (sorry Cheech....) and you go looking for things that are hidden, using geographical coords. Download the Munzee app and snap a pic of the QR code in the Munzee.

Saw a couple Geo-nics I recognized, maybe somebody can chime in here and give us more info. If not, I may have to actually read how it works on the Munzee site.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Re: Munzee

Post by styx »

I saw this on a You Tube video. Not certain that there are many in this area. Interestingly the video was a cache somewhere in England. I paused the video at the bar code, used my smart phone, and would have been able to log the find. 8O Personally I don't have plans to play.... but you never know.
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

This was the first I have heard about it. I took a quick look at the website. The closest one to Toledo is at the train station. The first person to find it was Roadkill, so he might be able to tell us a little more about it.

There are a bunch out at the Fulton County fair grounds. When I took a closer look at those, I noticed one was placed by TeamMina, so they might be able to give us some insight too.
I am an amazed cacher!
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

We all know about the munzee at the top of the tree at the Fairgounds.
But we didn't find, or hide that one.

I will pass this subject to Sheryl, as these thingies are her gig.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

If you like reading or writing logs, Munzees are not for you.
If you are huge fans of "TFTC", you might want to give it a try.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Have been playing with their website. Seems to be quite buggy. Sends unresponsive scripts, can't set or update home location, will some times attempt to register you even when already registered and signed in, and so on.

Saw the listing for the munzee that is 80 feet up the tree at the Fulton fairgrounds. Bet the officials there will blow a gasket if they see somebody climbing it. They think of the civil liability when those things happen.

Still, its a young game and will develop as time goes on. Sort of a mix between geocaching, terracaching (with the ratings system), with some QR code technology. Maybe they will develop a PQ system in the future, and some type of notification alert for other than owned munzees.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

GrizzFlyer wrote: Saw the listing for the munzee that is 80 feet up the tree at the Fulton fairgrounds. Bet the officials there will blow a gasket if they see somebody climbing it. They think of the civil liability when those things happen.
I just sent an email to the Munzee website about removing the Munzee in the tree. I had looked at the site a couple months ago, and could find no way to contact any of the Munzee higherups. We will see how what happens now. The site promises a reply in less than 48 hours.

The same group of people contacted me after the bash wanting me to help them sneak a dangerous cache onto the fairgrounds property. The Munzee is actually in the cache container that they were trying to publish. I didn't take the bait, but it looks like they found an alternative method of circumventing the gc.com rules.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
GrizzFlyer wrote: Saw the listing for the munzee that is 80 feet up the tree at the Fulton fairgrounds. Bet the officials there will blow a gasket if they see somebody climbing it. They think of the civil liability when those things happen.
I just sent an email to the Munzee website about removing the Munzee in the tree. I had looked at the site a couple months ago, and could find no way to contact any of the Munzee higherups. We will see how what happens now. The site promises a reply in less than 48 hours.

The same group of people contacted me after the bash wanting me to help them sneak a dangerous cache onto the fairgrounds property. The Munzee is actually in the cache container that they were trying to publish. I didn't take the bait, but it looks like they found an alternative method of circumventing the gc.com rules.
The point of my post was to mention that the Munzee world appears to be self monitoring. If you want to place one, there is nobody to tell you that you can't. No matter what absurd thing you want to do.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Unfortunately I've had the same negative impression from the day it started. The one in the tree on the fairgrounds is infamous.

There was even a dustup a while ago where people were placing Munzees in OTHER PEOPLE's valid geocache containers without permission. I think that trend may have died down.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
roadkill103

Post by roadkill103 »

I have been doing for a while. There aren't many in the area. Fulton fair grounds has a lot. It's a simple game, just sign up and download the app. The app has everything you need. Bring up the map and drive to one. Keep zooming in as you walk closer. When you find it, hit capture and point your camera at it. The app records the capture online. You can leave a log if you wish.
You get points for each capture. Some are worth more than others. It's an alright game to play along while caching. It's just something extra to do, something different.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
sm_geo
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by sm_geo »

Just got a few of these Munzees this summer. Interesting game based on the whole high tech search and find premise. I liked finding a couple at the fairgrounds at the MWGB 2012, especially the one in the geocache container (I think by mdwalsh.) Two finds, one search, two games played at the same time - Neat! Like Roadkill said, something different and extra to do.
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

Don't have a phone that will scan them and won't either. Really don't see the point.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

When I get to a cache I also play Mumbley Peg. You get to do two games!
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

There is a guard rail out there with a bunch of them. I guess you just walk along snapping up them. And the point is???????????????