Other hobbies & interests ??

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Other hobbies & interests ??

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Since this section of the forum has been very dead the past week and a half - two weeks, thought I'd start a new thread that I've been wanting to do for some time.

What other interests or hobbies do you have besides geocaching? Bet some of us can find others with similar interests besides geocaching.

I'll start. I'm a radio nut. Amateur radio operator for over 40 years (sheesh, can't believe its been that long...), but amateur radio is not my main, or even secondary, radio interest. I like to listen to shortwave radio, what they call the "utility" stations. In shortwave, utility stations are basically anything except amateur radio or shortwave broadcasting, although I do like to chase the hard-to-hear shortwave broadcasters occasionally, as well as the pirate (unlicensed) radio broadcast stations. Lots of stuff to hear in the utility world... long-range aircraft, military, ships, and much more. Last night, Dakar (Senegal) Radio was booming in, along with Canarias Radio and Sal Island, all ground stations working aircraft mainly running the South America - Europe routes. Also like to listen to scanners now and then, usually fire departments as that's where the action is.

Also like woodworking, have a fairly complete woodworking shop that I can turn out or fix whatever, when I feel like it. Was out there today working on a little project. Am in the process of adding another 320 square feet onto my barn/woodshop for wood and tool storage. The barn also houses my tractor, sort of a gentleman farmer thing going on. Learning a lot about how to not do farm-type stuff. Other interests include high-power rifle shooting, was in a league until my eyes were no longer at their peak. 200 yards is a ways out there, and the 600 yard range at Camp Perry used to be fun, but those days are gone. Ride motorcycles too, mainly Harleys, have a Street Glide at the moment. Planning a solo trip out west this summer. Mrs Grizzflyer and I really enjoy our ATV's, we get down to the Wayne National Forest on occasion, lots of trail riding and muddin' down there. Gonna have to get Mighty Mo and Handyman down there for a day or two.

How about you? What do you like to do when not staring at a GPS unit, or thinking up evil hides?
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Other hobbies & interests ??

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I have been involved with antique 4wd off road activities for 40 years. My namesake Mighty Mo is my 1948 Willys Jeep®. I raced him in the 1970s in off road Rodeos. Currently I use him exclusively for trail rides.

My historical interest in Jeep isn't limited to Mighty Mo. I have another 1948 Willys Jeep that currently is undergoing a "restoration". Well almost, he will have a 1960's Jeep V6 in it.

I also have an ATV and would really love to get to Wayne National Forest with Grizz and Handyman.

My geocaching activities also give me an excuse to MOsey down the trail and through the woods. Being outdoors is one of my loves.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I really don't have many hobbies other than geocaching. The main one has already been mentioned twice, ATVs.
I was able to ride a three wheeler by the time I was 4 years old, and haven't been without some sort of ATV for very long since then.
I had a brief stint racing four wheelers, and I was pretty good if I do say so myself. I raced cross country races or hare scrambles. The tracks were about 6 to 10 miles long, on trails through the woods, very rarely including a motocross track. I won several races on the national level (GNCC Series) in 2002 and 2003. It was a very expensive hobby, and decided to quit midway through the 2003 season to save money to buy a house. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, in my life.

The only other hobby I can think of is chauffeuring the two littlest members of the Fam all around town. Not much of a hobby, but it sure does take up a lot of time!
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:<snip)
The only other hobby I can think of is chauffeuring the two littlest members of the Fam all around town. Not much of a hobby, but it sure does take up a lot of time!
But very rewarding!
harold
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by harold »

I have a non-running 1947 CJ-2A that has been abused by several generations on the farm. Trying to get it to light up. Also have a 1969 Jeepster Commando that I'm still not too sure what we'll do with. It has the V-6 Dauntless engine that can swap into the 2A. At one time, I probably had Mo's website memorized.

I'm a big Farmall fan. Have a 1970 140 with various duties on our estate.

We have four Honda 3 wheelers that have plenty of parts to go in this winter. The Big Reds are the best. Been to a couple of Trikefests at Haspin Acres in Laurel, IN.

I do a bunch of reloading, a little shooting, and just started pouring lead.

I've been maintaining a personal website with a forum and moblog since 1999.

Along with a little farm fix it shop, we do some odd woodworking too.

My most important hobby is being married.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We don't have much time for outside interests here after work and geocaching.

We love hockey, NASCAR, lighthouses, and taking Mina everywhere we can. We do admit to watching "Big Brother", "Survivor", "Hell's Kitchen", and "The Amazing Race".

Sheryl collects giraffes, reads crime thrillers, and does a lot of scrapbooking. She also likes covered bridges, waterfalls, and runs alot of fund-raisers at her work.

Mike collects Pluto stuff, and loves trains and llamas (alpacas & camels too). He enjoys the supernatural, Detroit & Michigan sports teams, and fossil hunting.

Mina loves chasing sticks, chewing up sticks, jumping into the water, and begging for food. She loves chewing caps off of plastic bottles most of all. And posting pics of herself on cache pages and Facebook.

When not caching, we also do searches for findagrave.com too.
We have quite a few "smathtags" too.
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

Myself, I enjoy metal detecting along the canal, ghost towns, where old farm houses (USED) to stand as well as old churches and schools. I have found many old coins and relics over the years (30). My favorite trip was to Nashville where i was able to search near a battlefield and a 400 acre plantation. As many of you know I enjoy bow hunting deer and shotgun hunting turkey's in the spring. Other interests include bike riding (on and off road), coin collection and walking the fields looking for indian artifacts.
When I am not outdoors doing the fore-mentioned activities I enjoy watching or listing to the NASCAR races and hockey games (go Red Wings).

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
tolbuck
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by tolbuck »

I'm pretty dull. I love baseball (Go Tribe), and I especially like going to minor league games. I go to between 20-25 minor league games a year, and only half of them are in Toledo. I enjoy keeping score, and in August I started my fourth scorebook since the beginning of the 2008 season. I also like hockey (the Blue Jackets-their day will come, hopefully) and soccer. My sister and I like to make at least one trip to Columbus every year to catch the Crew. It is one of the few interests we have in common.

As for the others, I bike about 1000 miles a year. And, in my attempt to kill of some manly stereotypes :bat: , I am learning how to knit. 8O
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Hobbies....interests....hmmm........
I do like biking either as a goal to get to a cache or in general, love going to baseball games (until recently had season tickets to the Hens) and would love to get back to an Indians game! When I have time/a reason I love to do flower arrangements and other crafts. I'm starting to really enjoy photography and along with that hiking. Hanging out with friends is a must along with all that!
Oh, and I work too much, but I'm not sure that's a hobby! :)
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Heh - I used to say computers, but nowadays I don't do a TON outside of work. Funny how that happens over the years :P

I enjoy running, biking, swimming (Often in reverse order in one day). Increasingly getting into Photography - been into it a long time but getting more serious with our little one on the way.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

jslagle wrote:I enjoy running, biking, swimming (Often in reverse order in one day).
Now that's something I'd pay to see (jslagle swimming in reverse)
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Actually swimming in reverse is now only possible but the only way in the Detroit river.
scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by scuba »

Hobbies? Is that before geocaching or now?? Well I use to collect coins and stamps in years gone by. Same with leather work, motorcycle riding, and water skiing . I haven't been scuba diving in a while either (my ears starting giving me a bit of trouble, swimmers ear all the time), or flying (use to be part owner in a plane). Love to travel, camp, bike, hike, swim, play games, spend time with my grandkids. Want to go 4 wheeling sometime, I love the woods. Geocaching
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

As some of you know I have 5 kids. Their ages are 11, 8, 6 and twin 3 year olds. I am still trying to figure out if they are my hobby or if I am theirs!

On top of the kids and caching, I try to run at least 6 miles every other day. I enjoy the fresh air and exercise plus it is a great way to unwind and clear my head. I have done a couple of runs along the WCT or other trails in the area and combined running and caching which is a lot of fun!
I am an amazed cacher!
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

We've got some new members now-a-days so.........

BUMP!!!!