Bogus or mistaken logs

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Bogus or mistaken logs

Post by GrizzFlyer »

Having just read a local cache owners recent warning/reminder about people claiming finds on his cache, but no corresponding entry on the physical cache log, made me think about a similar situation with one of my caches.

Recently I archived a long-running cache, and compared the dates and signatures on the log with the "found" entries on the cache page. Discovered 3 people who logged the cache as found but no entry on the physical log. I emailed them and asked that they reconsider or explain their log, as it appears they didn't find it. Was ignored all 3 times, no response at all, and no change to their online log. Just for the record, none of them are local geocachers, all three appear to be from eastern Ohio according to their profiles. All 3 are very experienced cachers.

Of course I can delete their logs, but I hesitate to do that. Would rather they take care of the matter themselves. Makes me wonder about their entire caching history. If there were extenuating circumstances, let me know, and the matter is closed. Although the signature issue has been re-defined a couple of times and tightened up in recent years, its up to the cache owner if he/she wants to accept finds when the log isn't signed. The only cache I've ever deleted found logs from is an earthcache up in Mittenland, have deleted 4-5 so-called found logs from that one. Whoops, except for a local person who claims to be a cacher, but is really a troll.

I really don't need the drama, and don't want to "out" anyone, but c'mon folks, at least give me a response when your log is called into question.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Bogus or mistaken logs

Post by cheechgang »

You will get all types of answers here from "forget about it" to "string 'em up".

Yes, they SHOULD have responded to your emails. Yes you can delete the finds.

Over the years I've finally evolved from "hard-a" to leaning toward the "forget about it" side. I've given up bothering to delete rufustrunt logs for instance. Yes, the cache owner is supposed to be responsible for the integrity of the cache and the logs, but is it worth the potential drama?
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I have had to delete a couple Earthcache logs. It is always a newbee that wouldn't reply to a friendly message.
As for regular caches, other than 2 Rufus logs, I have only deleted one other log. It was obvious someone was just logging random caches. The had found hundreds of caches in one day in at least 20 different countries. They logged a cemetery cache of mine in WV. The cache is miles from the nearest paved road, and hours from an airport. I immediately knew it was bogus.
I don't regularly check paper to online logs. I guess I am afraid of what I might find...
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We've lots of funny stuff happen at some of our caches, especially with them being subjected to the GeoBash yearly.
Lots of stuff we read, we know they didn't really find it.
The cachers probably assumed they did, or were with some big group and never really found the cache.

IE, when we get posts like "Quick easy find" on Tiffin 210, we know they were probably just rolling along the WCT, and assumed they found that one with all the others. We learned from the Gaylord MI Power Trail many people log finds on caches that are missing. They are just not interested in keeping close track of them as we do. Same as some of our rail-trail cachers.

That being said, we've always went with geocaching being a game.
And we all create & maintain tiny pieces of the game, and we can go find other tiny pieces others put in the game.
However, people can play the game any way they want.
And if they want to log caches they didn't find, it's their choice.
Because, in the long run, it only really matters to them.
roadkill103
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by roadkill103 »

I've never check my caches for the log entries. I don't feel I have too. It's the honor system with mine. If some one wants to lie about finding one of mine then they have to look them self in the mirror and ask am I an honest person.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

roadkill103 wrote:they have to look them self in the mirror and ask am I an honest person.
If I looked in the mirror and saw this guy, Image , I'd ask the same question!
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

I believe I've only deleted one log, which was from someone who logged the cache on a date a year before it published. I checked the paper log and did not see an entry from them on any date.

It does get me seeing the recent found logs stating the cache was missing. Throws a bit of a monkey wrench into my system of sorting out missing caches when searching the area.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We have deleted duplicate logs (which happens to us occassionally when the iphone is having trouble with getting a signal), and get snarked at.
And we email the cacher to let them know why we did it, and they still get crappy.

But like George Costanza taught us, no double-dipping!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

geez, don't have that many caches out there yet, but did check on the OSU/UM Border Battle on sterns rd when replacing log sheet
and tallying up to see which state's team was "winning"...i did find discrepancies, but i just opted to add them to the log i posted
on the cache page... :roll: i'd rather believe that the mis-posts/logs were honest mistakes...

BTW - added new swag just this week - those blue fans should like the new buttons, while the buckeyes may still be in the cache :wink:
guess we had to "give 'em" one game !! :P there's always next year...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...