Geocaching Challenges

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Geocaching Challenges

Post by TeamMina »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:You don't need challenges to take silly pictures.
Yeah, but now you can get credit for them.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

I like virtuals.... at least they will count as a cache on the day that you log them. If you are doing your "cache a day" for a calendar cache these will not count. The only thing that I REALLY did like about some of the challenges was the worldwide photos that were posted.... very nice travel log to look at. Speaking of photos, there is nothing to stop anyone from completing several of the challenges with stock or old photos. When they first were implemented I was upset that they increased my total caches and were not held separate like ie benchmarks. At least they have corrected that. I have done a few so I wouldn't have to look at a "0" on my stat page but like benchmarks, I don't see a strong reason to rush out and do more. :roll:
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I like virturals, they took you some where if interest and required that you learn something about where you were taken. I may do a challenge or two so I don't have a zero but that is the only reason I can see for doing them.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

To be fair, most virtuals could be completed without visiting the location too.
On-line research and google street view give up alot of the answers now.
Or just asking someone who has done it.
And now that many virtuals are owned by non-active cachers, you answers are often never checked.
Last edited by TeamMina on Mon 2011-09-05, 19:52:18, edited 1 time in total.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Virtuals require proof you were at the location. Challenges are based on the word of the finder. I will pick a virtual over a challenge any day. It is too bad there are none left for me to find within an hour of here.
styx
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by styx »

Again... virtuals DO count as a find for the day, challenges DO NOT. For someone like TeamMina who has a streak of daily finds, if they only log a challenge for the day their steak ends. With a virtual it does not. Even if they were to expend the time, effort, and gas to drive to Toledo and take a team photo in front of the UT Rocket and complete that challenge... it still will not count as a find. What is the point?
I know I don't have the longest streak
........ but do I have the longest slump?
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

It's not about the numbers it's the adventure....RIGHT? That's what I keep hearing :lol:

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

T-Hunter wrote:It's not about the numbers it's the adventure....RIGHT? That's what I keep hearing :lol:
Um...yeah...that's it...
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

There's plenty to do with geocaching which doesn't get you credit for a find, that we still like to do.

We like finding benchmarks. Even though most we find aren't in the system and can't be logged.

We like travel bug rescues & moving TBs. Going to caches we've found before to bust out the traveler(s).

We like going out and scouting for locations.

We like going out and checking on our caches too. And if we are near someone else's, we'll check theirs as well.

And of all these things, Mina can run around and get covered in burrs. Which we should get some kind of credit for. :roll:
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

Ok, there is place for them, just like benchmarks. If challenges count as a find, why don't benchmarks? They should be
consistent.
I've said from day one that there is something for everyone... numbers, placing caches, attending events, the whole geek thing, slow but steady, benchmarks, ( I draw the line at waymarks) etc. But be consistent. in your treatment. :!:
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We have no idea whether or not the Geo-Challenges will catch on, but there is one thing.

Wherever it winds up being, the potential of the mega-events having dozens of Challenges on the grounds exists. Especially once everyone has their camp assignments, you could have a Challenge placed at each tent and trailer by the visiting geocachers. All they need is the coords to it.

That would get your numbers up (of Challenges, that is).
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

TeamMina wrote:We have no idea whether or not the Geo-Challenges will catch on, but there is one thing.

Wherever it winds up being, the potential of the mega-events having dozens of Challenges on the grounds exists. Especially once everyone has their camp assignments, you could have a Challenge placed at each tent and trailer by the visiting geocachers. All they need is the coords to it.

That would get your numbers up (of Challenges, that is).
i will not chase my tail and woof in front of your campsite !... :wink: besides...no lipstick that shade exists...
however, the challenges in area 51 could be a hoot... :oops:
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
WildWonz
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by WildWonz »

Like anything else, you have the choice to do one or not to. I like that option.
Is it geocaching? No.
Should it be on a different site? Not really. You only go to challenges if you want to.
Remember some of our friends think we are crazy because we cache, but we do it because we make that choice for us, not for anyone else, and for many different reasons.
That's my 2 cents