What's with the suspicious Jeep TB logs??

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

What's with the suspicious Jeep TB logs??

Post by GrizzFlyer »

I have a couple of Jeep travel bugs on my watch list. 2 days ago I get a "discovery" log on one of them, and I'm fairly certain this Jeep is not out to be discovered since it hasn't been logged in several years. No, its not in my collection, but I did have it in my possession once when it first came out and I released it into the wild, and that's why it's on my watch list. Last seen in Michigan. Since the log came from about as far away from NW Ohio as you can get and still be on the planet, I sent the guy an email and nicely asked where he saw it when he discovered it. I was hoping that it was really out there and somehow traveled to Oz. No response. This guy has "discovered" hundreds of Jeep TB's. He looks to be a good cacher, judging by his profile.

There is a guy in Texas that does the same thing with Jeeps, using his dog's account (really!), but he usually leaves caustic notes on the TB's log if the Jeep has been hoarded. Probably not too difficult to write a program to determine a Jeep TB's number, since only the last 4 digits need to be found. I'm just wondering.... were these Jeeps really discovered, and if not, what's the point in logging all these Jeeps?
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: What's with the suspicious Jeep TB logs??

Post by OnDHunt »

I have run across the guy in Texas and wondered the same thing. My guess is that the Jeep TB you are watching was discovered by someone else who is just guess at TB numbers.
I am an amazed cacher!
Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Sounds like this fella has too much time on his hands.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

We have had a couple of instances of TBs/GCs of ours that had gotten "discovered" this year.
Only we had marked them as "missing" long ago.

Assume someone is passing time by typing in random serial numbers and discovering whatever crops up.