Historic Caches

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Historic Caches

Post by TeamMina »

Allenite's new cache highlighting a challenge on Hillsdale County Michigan's oldest caches, archived or not, has led us to thinking what are the historic caches in our area. We found it's not too hard to find the 10 oldest active caches in Fulton County. But finding the ones that had been archived before we started caching (7/2007) is near impossible. Other than looking at caches placed by longtime cachers, we don't know what else we could try. Any ideas?

BTW, looks as though Good Dog's "The Summer Camp Stash" (GC7D90) is the oldest active Fulton County cache.
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Re: Historic Caches

Post by allenite »

When I did the research for mine, itsnotaboutthenumbers.com was still up (yes it takes me a while to place a cache sometimes). I looked through the oldest cachers in the state and area to find caches people had found in [insert name] County. The newer research that some have done in the other counties in Michigan is to contact longtime cachers to have them look through their finds using things like GSAK to help look for and filter the older ones.

Once you have the oldest caches, look through the first logs, many of those cachers only have a few finds and it makes it easy to search them for older caches. My real goal was to find people in my area like Team Sauk Trail or riverdrifter who were the oldest local cachers. They may not have hid anything, but they were local cachers and at one time grabbed everything locally. Their list can be sorted by placed date, which helps to bring the oldest caches to the top, such as joethielen's list below.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Dieps&sortdir=asc&sort=placed

It may take some time, but once in a while you stumble across a user who is a gem for the local history.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

After a quick sloppy search of Allenite's list, this may be the first Fulton County cache.
You may find otherwise.

"Toad Shade Cache" GC2FB1

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

You could always wave a magic wand and conjure up someone who magically had access to cache searches that included archived caches. This fictional mystic could then center a search on Midwest GeoBash (pretty much the center of the county) and look for old, old caches. The report would include wild stories about caches like http://coord.info/GCA12D with coordinates so inaccurate that you would be a lot more forgiving of the latest newbie hiding caches with an iPhone.

But that would be sheer folly.... to even think about search powers that awesome.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

It is true, dear sir.
Powers like those of which you speak would be truly awesome.
If only these powers of legend were true.
Then we could draw upon them for their knowledge.
If only there were a way of summoning such skills.

I can only think of one method to unlocking these secrets.
By uttering the forthright words:

"Pretty please...with sugar on it?"
Last edited by TeamMina on Thu 2011-06-02, 06:12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

KeystoneGC wrote:You could always wave a magic wand and conjure up someone who magically had access to cache searches that included archived caches. This fictional mystic could then center a search on Midwest GeoBash (pretty much the center of the county) and look for old, old caches. The report would include wild stories about caches like http://coord.info/GCA12D with coordinates so inaccurate that you would be a lot more forgiving of the latest newbie hiding caches with an iPhone.

But that would be sheer folly.... to even think about search powers that awesome.
30 miles...no big deal... :bat:
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

And lo, the oracle has spoken...
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

KeystoneGC wrote:You could always wave a magic wand and conjure up someone who magically had access to cache searches that included archived caches. This fictional mystic could then center a search on Midwest GeoBash (pretty much the center of the county) and look for old, old caches. The report would include wild stories about caches like http://coord.info/GCA12D with coordinates so inaccurate that you would be a lot more forgiving of the latest newbie hiding caches with an iPhone.

Wow! I wonder if we have mystics in the land of the mitten with such powers or if others powers can permeate that border. I know that the land of the buckeye is much more advanced than those of us north of the border (or at least that is what my family from Bono says). I may need to perform some sort of ceremony to see if I can harness some of that power for future use.

I can't help it I'm a programmer and have always liked the brute force approach of finding a solution. Thankfully my code in the professional world is slightly cleaner. It actually did yield some fruits as I got a cacher that has been returning to the site somewhat regularly since I contacted him asking about one of the older caches. Prior to that it had been about two and half years. Now if they would start finding caches again.
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

TeamMina wrote:
I can only think of one method to unlocking these secrets.
By uttering the forthright words:

"Pretty please...with sugar on it?"
Wow, if Cheech knew about this approach he would not have had to mess around with that carzy PayPal site for all these years!

And Keystone, Thanks for the good laugh this morning!
I am an amazed cacher!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

:lol: and Good Dog to the rescue...thanks Keystone for bringing us back to the basics !!
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...