New GC.com maps and PMO caches

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

New GC.com maps and PMO caches

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

Does anyone know if there is a way to show caches that are listed as Premium Member Only on the new Beta Maps on geocaching.com? I can't seem to figure out a way.

It seems as though they removed the way to show "found" and "your" caches as smileys and stars from the old maps, thus rendering the map useless. :?

I really like the new maps, but don't understand why I can't see certain caches.
cheechgang

Re: New GC.com maps and PMO caches

Post by cheechgang »

The answer is PM caches are not shown on the betamaps, supposedly won't be fixed till next major overhaul. I agree they are a waste
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Noticed that the maps don't differentiate prior finds anymore.
And the beta map seemed to move slow an inoperable.

Back to just downloading through search pages by easygps. At least you can tell what you've found.
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

I've been using the "preview in maps" option off my pocket queries to get better map results.

It does look like they are showing all the caches another couple zoom levels on the beta maps now. When they first came out, it would not even show all of Coldwater, MI without hiding some of them.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

TYhe latest info as of yesterday fron OpinionNate

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Switching to the Beta Maps and turning off personalization on the current maps (showing your finds etc) was a response to the high traffic we experienced (and continue to experience) over the busy holiday weekend here in the US. While the Beta Maps are not yet fully featured, they are *much* more performant when placed under extreme load.

We recognize the current situation is inconvenient for some of our users, and we have two strategies to solve this:

1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this Wednesday)

2. Display PMO caches on the Beta Maps (short term) and finish up map development in the next development cycle (take it out of Beta)

Many thanks to everyone for your patience while we get back up to speed.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

cheechgang wrote:1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this Wednesday)
Good to see some more hamsters being added to the mix.

**Note to self, remember to setup and pull Mackinac Island trip queries for this weekend tonight.**