iSpy Iphones Secretly Track Your Every Move

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

iSpy Iphones Secretly Track Your Every Move

Post by SuchaNana »

found today in the NYTimes...

• According to security researchers Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan, your iPhone or iPad is keeping a record of every step you take.
• The device stores this data and shares it with all other devices that sync with the iPhone or iPad, the information is unencrypted and might be admissible in divorce proceedings or legal investigations.

Android devices do not have a similar tracking feature.

this is the story link:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... ck_check=1

does that mean your time doing geocaching can be tracked too? :wink:
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
TeamMina

Re: iSpy Iphones Secretly Track Your Every Move

Post by TeamMina »

If the GPS tracking system in our iphones is as accurate as the one it uses for our geocaching app, we have nothing to worry about.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

You'd be surprised what info is gathered from your phone, smart or otherwise. Almost all phones sold in the USA in the past couple of years have GPS built in. Phones that runs apps are the most dangerous. Many apps report your position and/or movements whenever you run the app, along with other info such as what you browsed recently, what other apps you ran, etc. What it tells and who it tells it to is up to the app. Spyware galore. I particularly like the app that tells you the exact position of the person who is calling you, if they are using a cellphone. A friend of mine showed me that one (I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not running that app).

An article I read today was about the Michigan State Police having a little tiff with the ACLU over the MSP allegedly using a device to download ALL information from your cellphone, if they get their hands on it. Calls made, incoming calls, address book info, photos, etc. This can be a very good investigative tool if the proper authorization is given, but the ACLU is claiming that MSP is using these devices on the phones of people they are stopping for traffic violations. Personally, I'm having a difficult time believing that, for at least three reasons. One, what value would that info have in that situation. Two, it is so obviously a search and seizure violation that no professional officer would involve himself in it (I hope...). And three, the devices the article mentioned are $4000 a pop and require a $720 a year renewal, MSP simply can't afford to give these out to street cops.

And here's the kicker.... Never mind, I typed it all out and just erased it. Thought maybe I shouldn't be telling people what the feds can do with your phone without you knowing it.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

When the Feds come to get us, the first question they'll ask us is "Now why do you spend so much time in the back corners of cemeteries?"
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

TeamMina wrote:When the Feds come to get us, the first question they'll ask us is "Now why do you spend so much time in the back corners of cemeteries?"
Lol so true!

Or wondering why we are always parking in the back of parking lots for a minute or two at a time...
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

With Skynet having gone active 4-19-11 all this tracking just plays into it's hand of course. :blowup:
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by TheBearclaws »

armygreenx wrote:
TeamMina wrote:When the Feds come to get us, the first question they'll ask us is "Now why do you spend so much time in the back corners of cemeteries?"
Lol so true!

Or wondering why we are always parking in the back of parking lots for a minute or two at a time...
I'm never doing a FTF dance in a cemetery again, to hard to explain.
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

The only thing holding them at bay for now is the Phoon thing. They don't know what that is all about. More research needed.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member