How often has this happened to you?

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

How often has this happened to you?

Post by armygreenx »

Today while doing the Un-Zipped Mail series in Lenaway county i found an unpublished cache 10 feet away from one of the mail series caches. Luckily the cache owners name was in the container so i was able to contact him. Hopefully he will respond because he will likely need to move it and then i won't know what cache i got the first to find on.

That is the second time i have found a cache accidentally but the first time i have ever found a virgin log. Has something similar ever happened to you? Share your stories!
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: How often has this happened to you?

Post by McCombRef »

I found a true letter box once about 40 feet from a cache. I thought that the coordinates were off a little, but I did find the actual cache. I checked later to see if the letter box was a hybrid, but it wasn't listed on GC.com. :D
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I found a letterbox while looking for a place to hide a cache.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

We've found a couple of ltbx's in the area, solely by accident.

We've found a cache before it got published once, well, Mina did.
We did get to help them get it published, as it was there first hide.

We also signed a cache log last summer, and the cache was officially published just last week.
Think we hafta go back & sign it again, for it to be official.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I once located a place to put a cache then did a writeup and submittal. When I returned to place the container I was shocked to find another container located exactly where mine was planned. I took it home and was able to figure out who it belonged to, later I returned it to mdwalsh.

Another time I was checking out a location for a placement and suddenly had a well camoflaged container right in front of my eyes. If you have trouble figuring out puzzles, this method works pretty well for a certain hard one of cheeches.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by cheechgang »

I once placed a container in a hole in a tree only to find another container there. It turned out it had been placed by Good Dog but he hadn't remembered to publish it.

We also have unintentionally found at least a dozen Letterboxes along the way.

Even more odd, I once found a pile of horizontal sticks and there was no cache. :lol:

I also looked under a light post shroud once and there was no cache. 8O
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

cheechgang wrote:I once placed a container in a hole in a tree only to find another container there. It turned out it had been placed by Good Dog but he hadn't remembered to publish it.

We also have unintentionally found at least a dozen Letterboxes along the way.

Even more odd, I once found a pile of horizontal sticks and there was no cache. :lol:

I also looked under a light post shroud once and there was no cache. 8O
Strange i thought for sure all light posts had a cache under them from either geocaching.com or another gps cache hiding site. Surely it was muggled. You should report it as such.
roadkill103

Post by roadkill103 »

I have found a letterbox once near where the cache should have been. I didn't find the cache. I also didn't know it was a letterbox till much later in my caching career.

I also have found a couple of caches after stopping and getting out and search nearby guardrails. I find myself searching guardrails all the time without a GPS.

It's not the size of my cache that matters, but the way it adds to your mystery.
OnDHunt

Post by OnDHunt »

I am amazed everytime I find a cache.....published or not!
I am an amazed cacher!
WildWonz
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by WildWonz »

I found a cache while waiting for my girlfriend at the Doctors office. Her dog and I waited in the car and I decided to take her for a walk around the parking lot and spotted a trail heading toward I-475 and thought I would check it out and stumbled upon a cache. So I signed it and looked it up to log it once I got home. :D