E.T. Power trail archived

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

E.T. Power trail archived

Post by T-Hunter »

I saw that the Nevada DOT asked for a few caches to be moved and the whole series got archived.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... try4636351

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: E.T. Power trail archived

Post by cheechgang »

Oh gee...
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

must be cabin-fever time...reads like March Madness has started on GC.com :lol:
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

I suspect that it won't be long before another trail pops up out there somewhere.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

All good things come to an end.
If you like those sort of things.
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

T-Hunter wrote:I saw that the Nevada DOT asked for a few caches to be moved and the whole series got archived.
This is not an accurate statement. The Nevada DOT, supported by the Nevada Attorney General, asked for the entire series to be archived - NOT to move a few caches. And, they were quite clear about it.

The closest thing you guys have to a "power trail" is the lovely line of caches on the rail trail, done in cooperation with NORTA. This trail evolves over time, with contributions from many geocachers using many different styles. That is my favorite kind of "power trail," as opposed to stopping at the side of the road every 528 feet. I look forward to bringing my bike to your neck of the woods when my schedule permits.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Thanks Keystone for the straight scoop and we look forward to having you in "our neck of the woods".
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

KeystoneGC wrote:
T-Hunter wrote:I saw that the Nevada DOT asked for a few caches to be moved and the whole series got archived.
This is not an accurate statement. The Nevada DOT, supported by the Nevada Attorney General, asked for the entire series to be archived - NOT to move a few caches. And, they were quite clear about it.

The closest thing you guys have to a "power trail" is the lovely line of caches on the rail trail, done in cooperation with NORTA. This trail evolves over time, with contributions from many geocachers using many different styles. That is my favorite kind of "power trail," as opposed to stopping at the side of the road every 528 feet. I look forward to bringing my bike to your neck of the woods when my schedule permits.
I believe this conclusion was probably drawn by reading the CO's log the day before the archiving about disabling caches Caches 091 - 119 due to a complaint followed by the archive note the next day from MissJen. When I first saw it I thought the same thing with these two logs appearing one after the other, but a further explanation in the GC forums explained it better.

That being said as someone who has done the trail, it is a shame that it was archived, especially for those that have trips booked and money committed to going out there in the coming months, but sadly hoards of people going to one place has that effect. There is always a bad apple in the bunch as the thefts of the A.P.E. caches lids and 1/3 of the film cans from Holy Macro! around GeoWoodstock last year and the Wherigo in Wauseon a couple of years ago can probably attest to. I can not speak for all cachers that have done the trail, but for myself and most of people I have spoke with that have done the trail, it is about hanging out with the people around you. After about cache 200-300, you have to find something to help keep you going. When something someone says that is so simple/stupid that it makes you laugh over and over throughout the day. Or being amazed that the oldest member in your team (someone over twice my age) is able to hold up the best of anyone in the car. Or occasionally looking out the window or when getting out of the car and seeing the view for miles around you where you just stop and stare in awe of it all.

I find that it is not often believed when I say that my reason for going out there was not about the numbers of caches I could get. Even when out on the trail, I was leaning against logging all those caches (and part way through logging them for that matter). If it were not for the ease of Field Notes, I would not have. My previous high for a day was 60 caches and prior to going out there I had found more regular or small caches than I had micros and over 25% non-traditional finds. I like Keystone and likely many others on this board prefer the "power trails" in our area such as the WCT, the Buckeye Trail, and the Falling Waters Trail that we bike or hike. Anyone who has cached with me in an urban area or an area where micro spew has occurred will tell you that I get a bit short with people when caching in those places. It looses the appeal that I found in geocaching. I hate having to deal with lots of traffic, people watching me, or the same repetitive hides. The primary reasons I went out there was to add four new states (I only got three) and some huge counties for my US county map. I had never been to Vegas before and was curious what all the hype was about. I got to see a lot of beautiful scenery and some great sunsets. The seventy degree weather did hurt either. I also got to hang out with some good friends and share some experiences with them I will never forget and meet some great people along the way, a couple of which are looking to be at the MWGB this year. If I were to go back out to the Vegas area though, you would likely see me doing a bit more sightseeing and doing some of those caches in the mountains around Vegas rather than on the several power trails of 100+ caches that surround the Barstow, CA area. Though I do like the hiking ones that form a shape, not sure why.

For me the ET Highway served as the desitination, much the same as GeoWoodstock did for me last summer. If it were not for the ET Highway, the people who led up the trip would not have went out there and in turn, I would not have been invited to go. Without that invitation, I would have stayed up here and possibly thrown in a couple of movies on what was a rather cold weekend in January. So I would not have gotten to see all the places I did or even pose in front of those iconic Route 66 signs painted on the road. (Still trying to find my phoon shot, only a couple more people to check).
As far as safety goes for this, the visibility was far better going the other direction
and yes 003-Route 66 is just ahead of the car 120 feet and in the second sagebush from the road
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Now you've made us all more jealous of you than we were before, Ken! :D
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I love the Route 66 picture!
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

Sorry for going off topic but what happened to the whereigo last year at MWGB? I didn't get a chance to do it.
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

armygreenx wrote:Sorry for going off topic but what happened to the whereigo last year at MWGB? I didn't get a chance to do it.
It is still there. GC25902
allenite
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by allenite »

armygreenx wrote:Sorry for going off topic but what happened to the whereigo last year at MWGB? I didn't get a chance to do it.
The wherigo placed around the time of the MWGB in 2009, WiG: Meet KB+Witz. At the location of the final, someone wrote on the lamp post, "I HATE wherigo's." The cache was archived before it was out a week.
armygreenx
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by armygreenx »

allenite wrote:
The wherigo placed around the time of the MWGB in 2009, WiG: Meet KB+Witz. At the location of the final, someone wrote on the lamp post, "I HATE wherigo's." The cache was archived before it was out a week.
Ah gotcha. Thanks!
OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by OnDHunt »

KeystoneGC wrote: I look forward to bringing my bike to your neck of the woods when my schedule permits.

When you come to town, remember Cheech's house makes a great potty stop along the trail plus he always has cold drinks in his fridge. There's a key under his front doormat, but that is a secret so don’t tell anyone!
I am an amazed cacher!