Needed: Toledo location for GC101 "Show-n-Tell"

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

CatsInTheCradle
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Needed: Toledo location for GC101 "Show-n-Tell"

Post by CatsInTheCradle »

Hi Gang!!

New to the boards, been caching almost 2 years. We live in New Concord OH and I am kind of a PTA leader in my kids Virtual Charter School (www.ohva.org). I will be looking to host a field trip type event in the Toledo area for a bunch of school kids and their families in the Spring. Most will not have their own GPSr and most will not have any experience Geocaching. Our family knows how to cache, and the Toledo area teacher interested in the idea has done some caching, but I expect everyone else to be newbies.

I'm hoping for a Metroparks, State Park, or Community Park location with some beginner-level caches in place. The ideal site would also have GPSr to loan/rent, have a mix of trails and pavilions, and have a love for Geocaching and teaching kids cool new ways to enjoy the outdoors......

Any insights would be MUCH appreciated!!!

David 'CatsInTheCradle' Waters
OHVA SE Region Booster Coordinator
New Concord, OH
dwaters118@yahoo.com
RustyNail09
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: Needed: Toledo location for GC101 "Show-n-Tell"

Post by RustyNail09 »

Some of the higher concentrations within the metroparks would be either Oak openings metropark or Secor metropark. None of the afore mentioned have on site gps rentals, but I do believe that the metroparks do have some that they may be able to loan/rent out. Your best bet would be to contact the metroparks and try to set something up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Secor Park has 9 active and all are well within hiking distance
Oak Openings has 10 with reasonable hikes including a virtural.
Wild Wood had 8 but again a long hike to get a couple

Call Toledo Metro Parks for info. 419-535-3058
Stumpy75
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by Stumpy75 »

Wildwood also has a nice collection of caches. I don't think that the metroparks rent out GPSs, but you could always ask. They do put on an occasional geocaching event though, and have a few GPSrs available. Contact the naturalists/interpreters at the visitors office at Wildwood(in the visitors center-- the old horse stables). In the past, Tammy has been the geocaching contact there, and she does work out of the Wildwood office.
CatsInTheCradle
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by CatsInTheCradle »

Thanks for the input guys! I just knew that the folks responsible for MWGB had to be a well-informed, active, and helpful gang.... :D
Last edited by CatsInTheCradle on Sun 2011-01-23, 13:42:18, edited 1 time in total.
scuba
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by scuba »

I have a couple of gps's and might be willing to help lead some people. What day, what time. Let us know