perhaps a new challenge coming???

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

Handyman-N-Fam
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: perhaps a new challenge coming???

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

KeystoneGC wrote:
TeamMina wrote:We're just sitting around waiting for someone to place the Challenge Cache around here based on having to complete a certain number of Challenge Caches.

Well, we're sitting, but maybe not waiting ;)
There is already one of these in Ohio!
I think this is the one he is talking about.
Everybody-Loves-a-Challenge Challenge
GrizzFlyer
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by GrizzFlyer »

There ought to be some equity between meeting a challenge cache's requirements, and the quality of the physical cache. In the example above, the cache is on a guardrail. Somewhat of a let-down, unless its like Home Sweet Home 4 outside of Van Wert. The cache owner should do an equal amount of work in hiding a good cache if he/she is going to make the cache-finder work at meeting the challenge cache requirements.

I'm not bad-mouthing guardrail caches, they have their place, and for some strange reason I like to do them most of the time. They work well for somebody that needs a quick cache-fix. IMHO. there just ought to be some quid-pro-quo.
Geocaching.com Charter Member
NWOGEO Charter Member

TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

We had a cacher in N.C. use our Challenge idea and were a bit disappointed to find the hint for the final is"magnetic".
But since it's within site of Lowe's Motor Speedway, it's not too bad.

However, if you want to find disappointing challenge finals, hurry on to eastern Ann Arbor for the Earthcache series there.
Not only are they all film cans in lampposts, but lampposts are as opposite as a cache can be from an earthcache. At least a guardrail might be protecting your car from a tree or a creek or something natural. :wink:
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
KeystoneGC wrote:
TeamMina wrote:We're just sitting around waiting for someone to place the Challenge Cache around here based on having to complete a certain number of Challenge Caches.

Well, we're sitting, but maybe not waiting ;)
There is already one of these in Ohio!
I think this is the one he is talking about.
Everybody-Loves-a-Challenge Challenge
Drat! Another original idea is gone-daddy-gone!
Handyman-N-Fam

Post by Handyman-N-Fam »

GrizzFlyer wrote:There ought to be some equity between meeting a challenge cache's requirements, and the quality of the physical cache. In the example above, the cache is on a guardrail. Somewhat of a let-down, unless its like Home Sweet Home 4 outside of Van Wert. The cache owner should do an equal amount of work in hiding a good cache if he/she is going to make the cache-finder work at meeting the challenge cache requirements.

I'm not bad-mouthing guardrail caches, they have their place, and for some strange reason I like to do them most of the time. They work well for somebody that needs a quick cache-fix. IMHO. there just ought to be some quid-pro-quo.
I agree that the final to a challenge shouldn't be under a lamp skirt or on a guardrail, but this issue really is a double edged sword for the cache owner. If the CO uses a really cool location, people will complain that he wasted a good hiding spot on a challenge that is only going to be found by a percentage of the people. I do recall people complaining that I hid my alphanumeric challenge final on the WCT.
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:
GrizzFlyer wrote:There ought to be some equity between meeting a challenge cache's requirements, and the quality of the physical cache. In the example above, the cache is on a guardrail. Somewhat of a let-down, unless its like Home Sweet Home 4 outside of Van Wert. The cache owner should do an equal amount of work in hiding a good cache if he/she is going to make the cache-finder work at meeting the challenge cache requirements.

I agree that the final to a challenge shouldn't be under a lamp skirt or on a guardrail, but this issue really is a double edged sword for the cache owner. If the CO uses a really cool location, people will complain that he wasted a good hiding spot on a challenge that is only going to be found by a percentage of the people. I do recall people complaining that I hid my alphanumeric challenge final on the WCT.
You can't please everybody all the time.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Handyman-N-Fam wrote:<snip> I do recall people complaining that I hid my alphanumeric challenge final on the WCT.
If people want a hide on the WCT, they are welcome to place one there, The south fork has plenty of spots.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

yogi57 wrote:You can't please everybody all the time.
If you can't please everybody at least please me! :P
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

I am the co-owner of the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge, along with the four other volunteer cache reviewers active in the Keystone State. We chose the most remote location possible for the final challenge, making it a big hiking adventure into a wilderness area miles from the nearest paved road. This is disclosed upfront on the cache page, and emphasized in detail in the informational packet sent by email to qualified finders. Most of the logs rave about the epic journey as a capstone to their travels around the state, and the cache has attracted 11 "Favorites" points. You can rest assured that the listing is 100% compliant with the guidelines for challenge caches.

But, one recent finder was a challenge hound who visited from out of state, dashing from DeLorme Grid to DeLorme grid to nab a park and grab cache in each required spot. Their log on the final cache:
The two of us have completed over 20 state challenges and were pretty disappointed in this one ... agenda, ALR, and basic arithmetic errors. We've done well over 100 4+ terrain caches and we knew pretty much what we were getting in to on all of them. At least let folks know up front they have a 12-15 mile hike through a wilderness.
Yep, you can't please everyone.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Is there camping near that Keystone :P

I'm not sure I'd be able to get all the grids, but I'm dying for some terrain.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
T-Hunter
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by T-Hunter »

yogi57 wrote:You can't please everybody all the time.
I don't hide caches to please anyone, the only person I have to please is my better half. If momma isn't happy...........the world is gonna pay......(or something like that :blowup:

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.