What's in a name? (Geo-Name)

A place for those misc Geocaching related discussions that do not have their own topic.
(Please use the Off-Topic forurm if the discussion is not Geocaching related.)

Moderator: Steering Committee

GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

What's in a name? (Geo-Name)

Post by GoodDog »

I'm always interested in Geo-names and their origin as well as why someone chooses a particular avatar for the forums. Some are pretty obvious if you know the person, or the name becomes obvious once you talk to them. Others need more explanation, but usually have to do with interests or fantasies, and still others are just letters and numbers that mean something only to the cacher. I always find it hard to connect the geo-names and cachers when they choose this naming method.

Do any of you care to share your name and/or avatar origins? I'll start off.
I love dogs (kinda obvious), and thought a dog name would be appropriate. "Spot" and "Rover" didn't ring any bells, so I thought it should be more dog related, not an actual dog name. I find dogs respond to praise much better than reprimands, so I try to tell my dogs "good dog" more than "damn dog get out of the friggin way" (too long for a geocaching name anyway.) As for the avatar, it was a natural choice. The dog shown is DeJa, (like deja vu), my main geocaching dog. She is a good dog!

I've sometimes thought of changing my name, but it's become entrenched now and is sort of an alter ego.

Please include your real name at the end if you wish. It does make it easier at events to sort out who is who.

Mike
Last edited by GoodDog on Mon 2005-12-05, 20:06:00, edited 7 times in total.
GoodDog

Re: Geocaching names

Post by GoodDog »

GrizzFlyer wrote:GrizzFlyer came from a mishap. <insert punch line here>

If it weren't for that tree that it landed in front of, everything would have been OK. But... it smacked the tree, and I did a Superman over the handlebars, and then it was my turn to smack the tree. That hurt a bit.

Anyway, that's the origin of the GrizzFlyer name, from the model of my ATV and the flying I did with it one day.

That explains a lot. :mrgreen:
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

GrizzFlyer wrote: ............
Anyway, that's the origin of the GrizzFlyer name, from the model of my ATV and the flying I did with it one day.
That is a great story! Glad Good Dog started this thread.
Isotelus
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Isotelus »

I've always enjoyed fossil collecting since my wonder bread years. Eventually the interest lead to working digs with several different paleo groups. One from southern Ohio. Some of the digs were to produce a Trilobite called " Isotelus " which happens to be the state fossil of Ohio. Searching for trilobites is in a way like searching for caches. Well, maybe a lil more technical searching for fossils but, both are of great enjoyment to me.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I'm using my old high school nick name. There were quite a few people only knew me by Yogi. As I grew older and settle down the name faded away. But when I discover geocaching I retrieve my old identity from the closet. Now again there are people only knows me by Yogi57.

The avatar I use is one of the choices on file. It kind of looks like me with dark hair and beard(I have more gray). In the cooler or cold weather I wear hooded sweatshirt alot and I do have a red one.

Jim
GCMarauder
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by GCMarauder »

Great idea for a thread!

I started off with 'MaudMan' simply because that's what everyone called me when I was in the Navy and it sort of stuck afterwards for a lot of my friends. The name didn't really mean much for geocaching, but it was the obvious choice when I first started.

Later, I decided I wanted my geo-name to actually mean *something*, so I went with GC Marauder. "GC" for obvious reasons, and Marauder for two reasons -- 1) It sounds darn close to Mauder, and 2) It describes what the heck I'm doing when I'm out hunting for tupperware in the woods. :-)

Dave
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=448606:1l80clbe][img:1l80clbe]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Coming+to+a+Cache+Near+You!&uid=121905ea-04dd-4a66-9640-0f09607bb0a1&bg=1[/img:1l80clbe][/url:1l80clbe]
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by BlackBrownDog »

Mr. BBD always called our dog Emmy "BlackBrownDog" really fast, like it was all one word. When I decided to start geocaching, he wanted to pick a name that fit us both, not just me (we'd look pretty silly if we were turtlegirl76!)

Eric "SherwoodForest" loved penguins and badgers...several of us chose them for our avatars after he passed away this Ocober.

Mine has a penguin with it's arm around Emmy, the BlackBrownDog!

Jen
TheMoops
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by TheMoops »

The Moops came from an episode of Seinfeld. George is playing Trivial Pursuit with a boy in a bubble and the question comes up: Who invaded Spain in the 8th Century? Bubble boy answers "The Moors". George says "The Moops" because the answer card is a misprint. A huge fight ensues and the bubble is burst.
So there it is. We are misprinted 8th Century Spanish invaders. :roll:

My avatar will change every time I see a new one that I like.
Mark
Last edited by TheMoops on Mon 2005-12-05, 21:00:01, edited 1 time in total.
DAJJ
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by DAJJ »

When I first signed up on GC I used part of my nickname, Dano, but a couple months later when we went out as a family to find out first cache I chnages our ID to Team DAJJ. The DAJJ being the first initials of our first names, Dan Amy Jenna & Jacob. The first couple of cachers we met we'd tell them that we were Team D - A - double J, but shortly after that people just started calling us DAJJ pronounced as a word. Now people just yell DAJJ, or LAST when they see us.

Dan
- -- - -- - -- - -- -
Professional LASTer
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

My username is probably obvious to everyone who knows me. It pretty much defines me in both in, and out of Geocaching.

As a gizmo guy, I actually owned a GPSr before learning about Geocaching in late 2000, and geocaching actually encouraged me to learn how to use my GPSr.

My avatar of course is "Gizmo" from the movie "Gremlins."

If my income would keep up, I'm sure my "gizmo" collection would be even greater! And I am not not talking about the Gremlin kind of Gizmo's either!

Thanks for this topic thread Good Dog! See what we were missing until he got active here? (DSL helped I'm sure!)
runnerboy36
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by runnerboy36 »

Well, runnerboy36 came from my interest in Cross Country. My dad was a runner also and he even did like 6 marathons. When I was young he would go out on runs all of the time and that is how I decided to try running. It turned out that I was pretty good and I enjoyed it. So when I needed an email address of my own, I came up with runnerboy36. 36 has always been my favorite number partly because it was my baseball number when I played in Little League. When I started geocaching, runnerboy36 was the obvious choice. And that is how it all came to be!

My avatar is partly because of my geocaching name. I picked him as my mascot because his name is homestar from the popular teen comedy website http://www.homestarrunner.com which I check on every once in a while to get some laughs. So, that's the story of my avatar.
Tim
Last edited by runnerboy36 on Tue 2005-12-06, 03:50:18, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=316746][img:3d6bwsyh]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=1+Corinthians+9:24&uid=aaf342b8-6348-495b-a1cf-896383129c69&bg=0[/img:3d6bwsyh]
[/url]
keithandcompany

Re: What's in a name?

Post by keithandcompany »

When we first started geocaching we saw Dliming & Crew alot on the web pages and decided to call us Keith&Company. At first it was just my wife Mary Jo and me, then we started to take the neighborhood kids along and they became part of the Company.
I have a neat avatar on OKIC, but haven't been able to replicate it here. Sometime I might try to find it again.

Keith
TheMoopAlong
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)

Post by TheMoopAlong »

OK, so this may not be as humorous as others, but here is what I know. I first became interested in geocaching through my uncle and his family. As you know, they are misfit 8th century Spanish invaders. I tagged along for about 50 finds, and I caught some kind of fever. I don't know how to explain it, but many of you know what I mean. So, a birthday passed with a GPSr as a present, and started going with those damn invaders on as many trips as I could. This timing happened to coincide with the loss of a WAG, so I pretty much became a fixture on the trips. The name just kind of fell into place, and since "Moop" is pretty much now a dictionary term, I can now Moop anything I need to.

So, don't forget, I'm always ready to MOOP ALONG
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=438212:1w7incev][img:1w7incev]http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Profile+Assassin&uid=ea7436bc-f6c6-4690-9f4d-7b994f9c893c&bg=1[/img:1w7incev][/url:1w7incev]
EASYRN1

Post by EASYRN1 »

Easyrn1 comes from my army days long ago. Everything had to be initialed, or signed, and my handwriting turned my initials into EASY, so the drill instructor took to calling my Easy. He thought it was amusing, I thought it was better than some others he came up with, so it stuck. After becoming a nurse, I added the rn for my name on most computer stuff because it is easy for me to remember, LOL! The 1 was just a finger slip while registering, never thought to get rid of it. Most of my old friends know me as Easy, but I answer to just about anything!
Gene
Stumpy75

Post by Stumpy75 »

See below!
Last edited by Stumpy75 on Sun 2006-01-29, 19:57:01, edited 2 times in total.