Against the rules......or NOT?

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

Team_Maltese
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: Against the rules......or NOT?

Post by Team_Maltese »

Hmmmm...not wanting to shake a dead horse, but...we logged a pair of FTFs west of Angola, Indiana after midnight this morning that were both below grade. The first one resembled a dry-roasted peanut jar in a 4" pvc sleeve about 10" deep under a rather large rock, and the other was a child sized soapy bubbles container that was epoxied to a rock and inserted into a sleeve made of 1-1/2" pvc pipe. The latter reminded me somewhat of a fake lawn sprinkler, at least in concept and style, except it had a rock for a top. No tools were required to grab the caches, and it is quite possible that no tools were used to install the sleeves. The large one looked as though it may have been dropped into an existing hole, and the second one was small enough that it may have simply been pushed into the soft dirt like a fake lawn sprinkler.
So, how does a literal interpretation of the rules affect the placement of fake lawn sprinklers? (We have one in the wild and more in our caching toolbox)
And would the first cache be within the guidelines if it was indeed placed in an existing hole?
Regardless, these two were rather clever hides and quite creative, so they both garnered favorite points :-)
woof-woof from geo-pups Zoe and Daisy
Mighty_Mo
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by Mighty_Mo »

As stated previously not everyone abides by the guidelines and no one tells the reviewer that their cache doesn't conform to the guide lines. That is if they even have read the guidelines.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Mighty_Mo wrote:As stated previously not everyone abides by the guidelines and no one tells the reviewer that their cache doesn't conform to the guide lines. That is if they even have read the guidelines.
BINGO!

And very few finders have any interest in diving into the drama that ensues if you bring the infraction to the attention of the reviewer
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
KeystoneGC
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by KeystoneGC »

Team_Maltese wrote:Hmmmm...not wanting to shake a dead horse, but...we logged a pair of FTFs west of Angola, Indiana after midnight this morning that were both below grade. The first one resembled a dry-roasted peanut jar in a 4" pvc sleeve about 10" deep under a rather large rock, and the other was a child sized soapy bubbles container that was epoxied to a rock and inserted into a sleeve made of 1-1/2" pvc pipe. The latter reminded me somewhat of a fake lawn sprinkler, at least in concept and style, except it had a rock for a top. No tools were required to grab the caches, and it is quite possible that no tools were used to install the sleeves. The large one looked as though it may have been dropped into an existing hole, and the second one was small enough that it may have simply been pushed into the soft dirt like a fake lawn sprinkler.
So, how does a literal interpretation of the rules affect the placement of fake lawn sprinklers? (We have one in the wild and more in our caching toolbox)
And would the first cache be within the guidelines if it was indeed placed in an existing hole?
Regardless, these two were rather clever hides and quite creative, so they both garnered favorite points :-)
I looked at both of these.

1. Neither one says in the cache description "This cache is buried!" That would gain any reviewer's attention. You never see the ones that come to the reviewers that way.

2. Absent a clear statement on the cache page, we rely on what the owner says privately in their reviewer note. Cache submissions with no reviewer notes take longer to get published; good reviewer notes ensure swift publication. T-Hunter never writes five paragraph essays in his reviewer notes, but he always tells me that a cemetery cache isn't near any graves, that a guardrail cache is hidden in a township where he talked to the commissioners about geocaching, etc.

3. For the one cache, the owner told the reviewer that they glued a rock on top of the container - which is fine, if you use your own rock. There was no mention of a PVC pipe.

4. For the other cache, the owner told the reviewer that they used an existing hole - which is fine. There was no mention of a PVC pipe.

5. For sprinkler caches, match containers and other similarly shaped objects, if you can push them with your thumbs into turf, soft dirt or sand, you aren't burying anything. Hence the famous "pointy object" words in the text of the guideline. Mina's feet count as pointy objects. This is called the "claws clause" and is a secret guideline. If I told you about the claws clause, I'd have to shoot you.
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

KeystoneGC wrote:
5. For sprinkler caches, match containers and other similarly shaped objects, if you can push them with your thumbs into turf, soft dirt or sand, you aren't burying anything. Hence the famous "pointy object" words in the text of the guideline. Mina's feet count as pointy objects. This is called the "claws clause" and is a secret guideline. If I told you about the claws clause, I'd have to shoot you.
Luckily, Mina's "Claws Clause" was legally (albeit secretly) grandfathered in, as it piggy-backed our local "The Bearclaws Clause".
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

Keystone,
Thanks for taking the time to investigate a bit and offer further clarification. As for Team Maltese, we can rest easier knowing that our lawn sprinklers should be fine, and if we find any existing holes...well, we might have a few ideas :-)
Thanks again!
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by yogi57 »

I never dig any holes......But I did take time to train a groundhog to dig holes for me. 8O
Team_Maltese

Post by Team_Maltese »

Yogi - would a groundhog fall under the "claws clause"??
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

I found a cache yesterday that was about 30 feet from a VERY active rail. It was placed between a rail to trail and the live rail. I wonder how that one got published.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

T-Hunter wrote:I found a cache yesterday that was about 30 feet from a VERY active rail. It was placed between a rail to trail and the live rail. I wonder how that one got published.

When we were at that one we had to duck behind the trees when the work-train came by. It was a lot closer to the active track than to the trail.
Proud to be
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

T-Hunter wrote:I found a cache yesterday that was about 30 feet from a VERY active rail. It was placed between a rail to trail and the live rail. I wonder how that one got published.
I wondered how that one got published also. I spent some time looking in the spare RR ties before searching where the cache actually is. Maybe some caches slip through the cracks.
TeamMina

Against the rules......or NOT?

Post by TeamMina »

Which cache is this, we would love to know? Please feel free to pm or email us to not call it out here directly, if not desired.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

TeamMina wrote:Which cache is this, we would love to know? Please feel free to pm or email us to not call it out here directly, if not desired.

done
Proud to be
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Back in the day, the Bearclaw Cub set up a cache that wouldn't cut the mustard today. Back then there was a subclause that could be read as "with owners permission".
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

Well I just solved one near Lima that requires you to email the owner for the next stage.....I KNOW that one is not within the guidelines.....GRRRRRRRRRR :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.