Geocaching in Cemeteries - "SQ" for "Spirit Q

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

User avatar
Hydnckr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu 2003-06-05, 00:00:00
Location: Grand Rapids, Ohio

Geocaching in Cemeteries - "SQ" for "Spirit Q

Postby Hydnckr » Mon 2005-12-05, 19:25:08

The following information about placing or finding geocaches in cemeteries is being posted here for the benefit of geocachers that are newer or just starting this fun hobby.

NWOGEO members have adopted the practice of placing an "SQ" in front of the title of a cache that has been placed in a cemetery. This serves 2 purposes. First it immediately shows a geocacher that is browsing the web that the cache is located in a cemetery and secondly it's a proactive move on our part because when we add the SQ to the title we also add a paragraph to the cache description that states:

The "SQ" in the cache name above signifies Spirit Quest, a project by the Northwest Ohio Geocachers to distinguish those caches that are set in cemeteries or memorial gardens. This cache is part of that series created by NWOGEO members to highlight cemeteries or memorial gardens in the area. Please be respectful of the area, and observe their rules and posted hours which are typically sunrise to sunset.

Please copy and paste (Ctrl-C & Ctrl-P) the following HTML code to your SQ cache page:

Code: Select all

The "SQ" in the cache name above signifies Spirit Quest, a project by the Northwest Ohio Geocachers to distinguish those caches that are set in cemeteries or memorial gardens. This cache is part of that series created by NWOGEO members to highlight cemeteries or memorial gardens in the area. Please be respectful of the area, and observe their rules and posted hours which are typically sunrise to sunset. <br> For more information, please visit: <a href="http://www.NWOGEO.org/SpiritQuest/" target="_blank"> <b>www.NWOGEO.org/SpiritQuest/</b></a>
Please remember to check the HTML check box when you edit your page at Geocaching.com.

This kind of language covers our butts a little bit in case local authorities start investigating geocaching in NW Ohio. There are valid reasons to continue presenting a squeaky clean image of geocaching to the public of NW Ohio. I urge you to go to the geocaching.com forums and search "South Carolina cemeteries" and read the pages upon pages of information that has been gathered and topics debated regarding this. Basically it comes down to this: South Carolina legislators were informed by local churches that people were trespassing on cemetery grounds during restricted hours (night) and doing questionable things (geocaching.) There was ample evidence in the form of online logs as well as pictures posted in logs of people in cemeteries doing silly things like posing with headstones, making goofy faces next to headstones, etc. Generally this was all done in good geocaching fun but it was not appreciated by the churches and historical societies of the state. The locals were up in arms therefore the legislators were up in arms and there is now a South Carolina LAW that bans geocaching in cemeteries and state historical areas.

This brings me to finding caches in cemeteries.
Officially NWOGEO does not condone geocaching in cemeteries after dark, nor do we suggest finding caches in certain other areas at inappropriate hours where the activity might be construed as trespassing. In the event that you have participated in geocaching activities at a cemetery or park after hours it's highly suggested to keep those types of comments out of the online logs. If Metroparks folks or local police wanted to start checking up on geocaching or someone that opposes geocaching wanted to start looking in online logs they might easily find some evidence that would give their opinion some weight.

Please go back to the online logs for caches you may possible have found in cemeteries or other off limits areas during the dark and ammend the wording so that it doesn't appear to the casual observer that you were trespassing.

Any questions ? Please feel free to send them to me or post them here in the NWOGEO forums.

Thanks much!
Craig / Hydnckr
NWOGEO Steering Committee

User avatar
BlackBrownDog
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)
Posts: 3181
Joined: Tue 2004-04-27, 00:00:00
Location: Elmore, Ohio

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby BlackBrownDog » Sun 2006-04-09, 17:35:18

FIND A GRAVE is an interesting site for obtaining some interesting information and help on hiding historically based cemetery caches. I posted Ohio's page...what? No baseball cache in Weston? Someone should take care of that...
Image

User avatar
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue 2006-05-02, 00:00:00

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby TheBearclaws » Sun 2007-03-18, 03:47:55

I thought I would post a link to what's happening with cemetery caching in Tennessee.

http://www.gowt.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
Image

User avatar
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sat 2003-05-03, 00:00:00
Location: Midwest U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon 2007-03-19, 00:15:54

TheBearclaws wrote:I thought I would post a link to what's happening with cemetery caching in Tennessee.

http://www.gowt.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0


It looks like progress has been slow in the last 4 months.
Image

User avatar
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue 2006-05-02, 00:00:00

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby TheBearclaws » Mon 2007-03-19, 03:28:28

I had an odd experience in a cemetery today. I was in the City cemetery in Sylvania. I was just driving along real slow and I realized that I was near the spot where people have supposedly seen a ghost. I had just got that thought when my car died. The engine just quit as if out of gas. It would crank but not start. I ended up calling AAA and getting towed. Nothing like this ever happened before with my car and it must be a problem with the ignition, but what perfect timing for it to occur. Creeeepy!
Image

User avatar
maldar
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon 2008-08-11, 00:00:00

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby maldar » Tue 2008-08-12, 03:28:45

This is a need idea, I will have to mention it to the MIGO group. Personally I dislike these types of caches as I feel that I'm disrespecting those resting in such places. The only time I don't mind one is it there is some sort of history lesson involved in the cache.

maldar

User avatar
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)
Posts: 5391
Joined: Thu 2007-11-01, 00:00:00
Location: Wauseon, Ohio

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby TeamMina » Thu 2008-08-14, 00:17:34

maldar wrote:This is a need idea, I will have to mention it to the MIGO group. Personally I dislike these types of caches as I feel that I'm disrespecting those resting in such places. The only time I don't mind one is it there is some sort of history lesson involved in the cache.

maldar


We like the cemetery caches because a lot of times they takes to old, and sometimes forgotten places. We like to take time to visit and look at the stones rather than just dashing in and grabbing the cache. Lots of cemeteries don't get the care they deserve so we spend a lot of time picking up trash and flags. We also fix any displays and flowers that may have been knocked over. Over half of the caches we have hidden are cemetery caches and we try to list as much history as we can. Sometimes we don't always have the history when the caches are first posted. We also take pictures and try to find out history at a later date. And, who knows, you may just find a long, lost relative! I know I have!
Image

User avatar
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)
Posts: 5391
Joined: Thu 2007-11-01, 00:00:00
Location: Wauseon, Ohio

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby TeamMina » Thu 2008-08-14, 00:19:21

TheBearclaws wrote:I had an odd experience in a cemetery today. I was in the City cemetery in Sylvania. I was just driving along real slow and I realized that I was near the spot where people have supposedly seen a ghost. I had just got that thought when my car died. The engine just quit as if out of gas. It would crank but not start. I ended up calling AAA and getting towed. Nothing like this ever happened before with my car and it must be a problem with the ignition, but what perfect timing for it to occur. Creeeepy!


BTW, where were you when this happened?
Image

User avatar
TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue 2006-05-02, 00:00:00

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby TheBearclaws » Thu 2008-08-14, 01:25:25

It happened across the ravine to the west of this cache GCRAGW and the name of the cemetery is Ravine.
Image

User avatar
atatruck3
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 2008-11-05, 00:00:00
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby atatruck3 » Wed 2008-11-05, 09:08:30

ohhh... creepy. how many people leave caches in a cemetery?
Meet fellow geocachers and share geocaching stories at http://mygeocachenation.com!

User avatar
yogi57
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed 2003-04-30, 00:00:00
Location: Leipsic, Ohio

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby yogi57 » Wed 2008-11-05, 10:02:11

atatruck3 wrote:ohhh... creepy. how many people leave caches in a cemetery?

A lot of them. :lol:

User avatar
McCombRef
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu 2004-12-30, 00:00:00
Location: McComb, OH -- USA
Contact:

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby McCombRef » Tue 2009-02-17, 05:25:02

I stopped at a couple cemetaries this past weekend and was disgusted with the conditions that I have found. The care takers just throw the plants and other garbage in piles in the corner or over a hillside that runs to a river or stream. THIS IS POLUTION! Since a lot of cemetaries are maintained by townships, they become dumping grounds and landfilles for waste material like concrete, leaves, and tree trimmings. Leaves dumped into a waterway adds a high level of nitrites that can kill fish and plantlife as well.

In North Baltimore, I found a headstone attached to its concrete footer laying at the bottom of a hill used as a dumping ground. I would be very upset if it was one of my relative's grave marker lying there. This area was used as a landfill. The township removed a bridge and was dumping the waste there instead of taking it to the county landfill.

Who would someone contact to have someone clean these messes up.
Image

User avatar
GeoFlint13
Mega Poster (500 - 999 posts)
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat 2009-01-24, 00:00:00

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby GeoFlint13 » Tue 2009-02-17, 05:58:48

McCombRef wrote:I stopped at a couple cemetaries this past weekend and was disgusted with the conditions that I have found. The care takers just throw the plants and other garbage in piles in the corner or over a hillside that runs to a river or stream. THIS IS POLUTION! Since a lot of cemetaries are maintained by townships, they become dumping grounds and landfilles for waste material like concrete, leaves, and tree trimmings. Leaves dumped into a waterway adds a high level of nitrites that can kill fish and plantlife as well.

In North Baltimore, I found a headstone attached to its concrete footer laying at the bottom of a hill used as a dumping ground. I would be very upset if it was one of my relative's grave marker lying there. This area was used as a landfill. The township removed a bridge and was dumping the waste there instead of taking it to the county landfill.

Who would someone contact to have someone clean these messes up.


Try calling the city or county engineer's office. They should be able to give you the names and phone numbers of the township's trustees. I recently picked up a Defiance County plat book from the county engineer's office and it has the names and phone numbers of the trustees, the clerk and the zoning person above the map of each township.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

User avatar
SuchaNana
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue 2009-09-08, 00:00:00
Location: Sylvania, Ohio

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries

Postby SuchaNana » Fri 2010-02-19, 19:08:21

GeoFlint13 wrote:
McCombRef wrote:Who would someone contact to have someone clean these messes up.


Try calling the township's trustees.


perhaps....somehow...NWOGEO could adopt a cemetery like this to CITO...

in these economic down times...funds may not be there for additional cemetery clean ups... our labor puts our mottos to work on the EPA and morally-right-thing-to-do levels...

for the SC ?...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...

Angelus_Cowl
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun 2016-02-21, 13:06:57

Re: Geocaching in Cemeteries - "SQ" for "Spirit Q

Postby Angelus_Cowl » Fri 2016-05-20, 21:24:02

Does anyone recognize this cemetery? Friend visited caching last year, thought it was near Defiance:

Image


Return to “Geocaching Guidelines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest