Bump

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

cheechgang
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Re: Bump

Post by cheechgang »

Discussions on the GC.com forum are futile. 100% of them turn into diatribes and name calling after the third or 4th post.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Emails to Groundspeak?
Keger8
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by Keger8 »

I dont like the GC.com forums either, emails would work better i think. Maybe start a documents and have the NWOGEO members put their names on the bottom for approval, it would mean something to Groundspeak then
KEGER8
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Groundspeak won't do it. They've repeatedly stated it.

Like I said. If you see a crappy cache, the needs archived log is your friend. Clearly state why "This cache is on private property with no owner permission" and keystone will nuke it.

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Uh, oh. I see crappy caches every time I go to check on my own...
Proud to be
RustyNail09

Post by RustyNail09 »

Guess you need to start marking your own caches then Cheech... but I enjoy trying to figure out the damn things!
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

jslagle wrote:Groundspeak won't do it. They've repeatedly stated it.

Like I said. If you see a crappy cache, the needs archived log is your friend. Clearly state why "This cache is on private property with no owner permission" and keystone will nuke it.
Well, unless you do some investigative work, how do you know the cache doesn't have permission? In the case of lamp posts, it PROBABLY doesn’t, but you can’t assume. Using this technique, you could put a "needs archiving" on almost any cache just to be cause trouble. What do you single out? Only lamp post caches or guardrail caches or any cache that one doesn't like? Cheech was just jesting, but he was right. There are a lot of crappy caches, not just light pole ones.

I just repeat what has been said a lot. We Ain't Cache Cops.
If someone doesn't like a cache (like the lamp posts ones), don't hunt it or only post a note. This isn't a solution, but if GC isn't worried about it then we just have to try to educate or suggest, but we shouldn't just arbitrarily tell any approver to archive it. This has happened to me on two caches and it pissed me off. A hundred people can find it, or choose not to hunt it, but one person bitches and you have to archive it or change wording etc.

I don't want stupid city ordinances any more than anyone else, but I also don't want vigilante justice, whether it's verbal or the physical type, either
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

Proud to be
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

GC.com has a vested financial interest in this hobby continuing and growing. There are probably 15,000 registered geocachers. If half of them are premium members that is 7,500 x $30 = $225,000 plus advertising etc. All reviewers are volunteers.

If they aren't interested in this issue there is a reason.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

I'll repeat one more time (and no more). What is wrong with including something like this on this website similar to the SQ Cemetery suggestion? Can all of the steering committee members please weigh in on this? Hello? Hola? Yes? No? Maybe? I wrote this on March 4 last year and it's included in one of the other topics in this section of the forum. My approach would be to send a cache owner a private mail explaining that I was uncomfortable hunting their cache because of past problems (just keep it simple). I would then give them the link on this website. They either look at the link or not. They either do something about it or not. Their choice but at least I would know that they were pointed in this direction and had a chance to consider the various consequences. This could really do a lot, in a nice way, for a brand new person. Will this have an impact? I don't know but I cant see how it can hurt.
Think Before You Hide In order to minimize the possibility of a Northwest Ohio geocache placement attracting negative publicity by becoming the target of a bomb squad or police investigation, we strongly recommend that cache hiders be very aware and alert when considering the following guidelines that are a part of our agreement with Groundspeak when we submit a cache for publication.

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory "stash note" inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

Some of our members have had police encounters while hunting caches in private parking lots and around businesses. We want to remind everyone that parking lots of businesses are private property and that with or without permission to hide a cache, the actions of geocachers may be enough to prompt suspicion and a call to the police.

We believe that playing our game is best kept at a low profile and that negative publicity resulting from poor cache placement choices may ultimately spoil our fun. We also do not want to see one of our caching friends questioned or placed in an embarrassing situation, so please think before you hide.
Keger8

Post by Keger8 »

Well, we can let the SC members vote on BearClaws last idea of making a spot like the SQ area.
Last edited by Keger8 on Thu 2010-01-14, 02:20:12, edited 1 time in total.
KEGER8
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

But seriously folks. I'm not sure why there is resistance to the suggestion that "Bearclaws" is making. It is a lot closer to "mentoring" than to Cache-copism.
Proud to be
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

cheechgang wrote:But seriously folks. I'm not sure why there is resistance to the suggestion that "Bearclaws" is making. It is a lot closer to "mentoring" than to Cache-copism.
Yes! Why any resistance?
Good point Cheech and Bearclaws. :up:
bravo872
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Post by bravo872 »

I really really hate to ever post a needs "needs archived" but several times I have contacted the owner with my concerns. Only once have I contacted the reviewer who published a cache with my questions and concerns. The reviewer got it straightened out using the existing guidelines and its still an active cache.

Sometimes I will also contact or make a point to bump into the first couple of cachers to find a new cache of mine to see if they have any concerns or just suggestions to improve it.
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?A=1568622:35pzv251][img:35pzv251]http://img.groundspeak.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Click+here+to+view+my+stats!&uid=389f0070-6cc4-4d78-b4cf-bb0ec6ad8f2f[/img:35pzv251][/url:35pzv251]
T-Hunter

Post by T-Hunter »

cheechgang wrote:But seriously folks. I'm not sure why there is resistance to the suggestion that "Bearclaws" is making. It is a lot closer to "mentoring" than to Cache-copism.
I am not against doing that but we all need to keep in mind that not everyone knows about NWOGEO or some may just not care about it. They chose the hobby, go by the standards of GC.com so they are content. I suppose we can come up with something and then if a problem arises be considerate and sensitive to the cache owner(s) and explain the whole situation to them so we gon't blacken our own eyes. Afterall, we welcome people to join our group and do you think by being hateful, negative or degradig to them about a "substandard" cache is going to make them feel welcome? I doubt it.

This reminds me, I own a couple caches that fall into this catagory and placed them in regards to possible negative attraction but I think I may just pull them since the area now has plenty of other hides.

I am pretty sure alll the SC members are aware of this by now so we can add this to the topic of discussion along with a few others we already have going.

If you aren't FTF, you're last to find.