Cache Location Issues - Good Dog Planted Seed

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

TheBearclaws
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Cache Location Issues - Good Dog Planted Seed

Post by TheBearclaws »

Yes, in the early days Good Dog wrote the article titled How To Hide Your First Geocache and I’m positive that it resulted in a lot of great hides in NW Ohio, I always run his thoughts through my mind when pondering a placement. Ironically speaking, he also 5 years ago set up the Shot Ski GCJAHQ cache at the Toledo location of the monthly meet and eats. No one could have predicted what the future would bring or the possible connection between this innocent and at the time very cool cache location and hiding technique. Being located at the meet and eat, its been fun to watch new cachers go outside to hunt it and then seeing their reaction upon its discovery. We couldn’t find it at the first meet and eat and needed a hint for the next time LOL. This cache is likely to have served as the mother to the kind of cache placements many now view as troublesome. Projecting forward, I hope that Shot Ski will not be archived as it is IMO a classic and could continue being used as a training cache with a new purpose for present times. This one could be designated as the local example of how things began, a living history lesson for new cachers attending a first meeting. Discussion could follow on the evolved negative aspects and the new person hopefully would walk away enlightened instead of scoping out where they too could set up a really cool geocache similar to this one. If we do end up creating an article with suggested hiding methods maybe this history lesson cache story could be included?

Since the topic I started about being involved with law enforcement at caches in view of businesses hasn’t received many responses from the area cachers who have active locations that may qualify, I hope they will respond here without fear of criticism. As far as I know all of our area caches have been set up with the best of intentions with the goal of having fun. My fun changed after 3 contacts with police and its Good Dogs fault! Sorry Mike, I’m only kidding of course :lol: .

Has this cache influenced or inspired anyone and do you think it would be a good idea for Good Dog to keep it active with a new meaning?
Stumpy75

Re: Cache Location Issues - Good Dog Planted Seed

Post by Stumpy75 »

Keep it active! Permission was obtained, it's somewhat hidden behind the building and it's a great 1st cache at the Meet and Greets. MHO :wink:
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

I say keep this one active.

This one is not one that many people would feel to conspicuous doing since it is behind the building.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I agree that this particular cache is an interesting teaching tool. However If someone has fun finding this one then they might learn not only how to find but also how to hide. The hiding lesson inspire them to copy this type of hide and not understand the subtle nuances required in appropriate use of the skirt lifter etc. Maybe a section in the new "guide lines" about parking lots are private property and permission is required.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

I can say this, I went on a tour of my micros in P'burg tonight. As I pulled up to the one at Wal-Mart and got out to grab it & check it, I felt VERY exposed and uncomfortable with everyone pulling in & out. If I feel uncomfortable hunting my own cache, that is not cool! I have archived that one & the one over at Kroger's for the same reason. The other micros that I have out there aren't quite as exposed & I felt comfortable checking on all those. Something we learn as we accumulate more finds, I guess.
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

jhenkel wrote:I can say this, I went on a tour of my micros in P'burg tonight. As I pulled up to the one at Wal-Mart and got out to grab it & check it, I felt VERY exposed and uncomfortable with everyone pulling in & out. If I feel uncomfortable hunting my own cache, that is not cool! I have archived that one & the one over at Kroger's for the same reason. The other micros that I have out there aren't quite as exposed & I felt comfortable checking on all those. Something we learn as we accumulate more finds, I guess.
I found your Mattress cache out in the open.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Yogi57 wrote:I found your Mattress cache out in the open.
yeah, but it's kinda sheltered from prying eyes as people don't use that entrance quite as much.
cheechgang

Post by cheechgang »

I've also archived 2 caches in the last couple of days for all the same reasons.
Proud to be
Streak, GeoArt, Power Trail, and Lab Cache free
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

jhenkel wrote:
Yogi57 wrote:I found your Mattress cache out in the open.
yeah, but it's kinda sheltered from prying eyes as people don't use that entrance quite as much.
The container was out in the open not the location.
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Yogi57 wrote:The container was out in the open not the location.
yeah, it was wired on at one point, but the wire must have broke. I rehid it better tonight.
TheBearclaws

Post by TheBearclaws »

Even though I had permission for it's placement, I've archived one of mine. It was in view of a gate attendant and really exposed people at times.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Rick, if that one is the one I'm think of, I felt quite exposed but timing is everything, ya know.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

jhenkle, every time I dive by the matress cache I wonder how long it can live :)
cachergirl27

Post by cachergirl27 »

Mighty_Mo wrote:jhenkle, every time I dive by the matress cache I wonder how long it can live :)
The fact that you dive by the matress cache scares me....oh, you mean drive! :wink:
Yeah, I've often wondered myself if it will live another day, but so far so good! I'll keep an eye on it.
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

Well dive / drive it's all computereze.

Hey it spell checked! :o