Cache Location Issues - Good Dog Planted Seed

This forum area will be used to suggest NWOGEO suggested guidelines for geocaching.

Moderator: Steering Committee

OnDHunt
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: Cache Location Issues - Good Dog Planted Seed

Post by OnDHunt »

Mighty_Mo wrote:I agree that this particular cache is an interesting teaching tool. However If someone has fun finding this one then they might learn not only how to find but also how to hide. The hiding lesson inspire them to copy this type of hide and not understand the subtle nuances required in appropriate use of the skirt lifter etc. Maybe a section in the new "guide lines" about parking lots are private property and permission is required.
Yes, that could be an issue with this type of cache, but given the location of the cache it could be a great teaching tool. A simple paragraph could be added to the cache page that explains why it is there, and what lessons can be learned from it for beginners.

Then we could add a list to this website for the "Top 20 NWOGEO.ORG approved caches for beginners" and this could be the start of the list.

If done right, this cache could do a lot to help prevent the proliferation of these caches.
GoodDog

Post by GoodDog »

I'm still undecided, but I would have no problem amending the cache page. Maybe I could put something like "Hey, don't ever hide a cache like this Buster." I do have an idea that would preserve the location, but would eliminate looking up the skirt. I need to check out the location some more.
I'm not particularly attached to the cache, and I don't want to be hypocritical, but there have been some mitigating factors expressed.
TeamMina
Obsessed Lvl Poster (3k+ posts)

Post by TeamMina »

I like the idea of a recommended area cache list.
We might not have done all the, say, "Top 20" of them ourselves.
Smart caches in interesting areas that would be good examples of a quality cache. Not sure how to proliferate such a list, maybe each of us could present 3 we've done in the area that would fit the qualifications.

Perhaps a disclaimer on a new cacher page would work. Maybe something like:
"When you look to place a place, please keep in the mind the risk created to your fellow geocachers if placing in a busy, public, open location.

Geocaches in places like business properties, parking lots, and infringing on private areas, can lead curious and concerned onlookers to take steps toward. Anything from removing the container, to calling the authorites, may occur."

Please take this into consideration. Let's keep Northwest Ohio geocaching fun and safe for everyone!
TeamMina

Post by TeamMina »

OK, after running some errands, I'm gonna give it a go, and list a couple of area caches that would be great for beginners to wet their GPSs on:

Donor (GCZ3V7)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 97222871c9

SQ-Easiest Multi You've Ever Done (GCJ779)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 1c41ea8815

All Aboard!!! (GCTXEO)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8b3a1e9376
linzypooh49
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Post by linzypooh49 »

It is funny to me that Team Mina put All Aboard as one of the three since I got muggled badly on that one and also got the owner upset in the process of making up for my getting caught. The muggle was a young one looking for trouble and I was neck deep in the find when he came around the corner. Nothing negative came of this occurence in the end and it is a great find(one of those ones where afterwards you tap yourself on the back saying "good boy"). Any cache that isn't three miles into the woods could have an awkward situation with a muggle but to bring others to these cool places makes it worth it. Of course I have had awkward appearances from muggles even three miles into the woods. Nothing a little time on the pyschiatrist's couch won't help. :lol:
Mighty_Mo

Post by Mighty_Mo »

I ran into a situation today where I felt very uneasy and I was almost a mile out on a peninsula. There was a muggle that decided he wanted to hang around. Very uncomfortable time it was. :o

Eventally he went away and I was able to log s DNF :D
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

NEW BLOOD time...
I put in search for good dog's article How To Hide Your First Geocache - but on this forum site it says no....so where do I find it?

Sometimes it's obvious whose property is whose...but when you're not sure about ownership...who/how/where do you get that info?

so, for every skirt lifter in a walmart parking lot, permission has been obtained? from store manager? is it on file somewhere?

i ran across a new one near a bank and it got me to wondering...what with security and all...

then i found a couple of sorta great little spots, but don't know who to get permission from...

help please from the seasoned cachers...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...
yogi57

Post by yogi57 »

I'd looked around and found it and here's the link: Hiding your First Cache by Good Dog
Cachemeister
Regular Poster (100 - 199 posts)

Post by Cachemeister »

Some time ago, I jumped up on my soapbox and proclaimed to the caching community that micros were horrible and that I hated hunting them.
After reading this thread, I do believe that I was wrong.

I believe it all boils down to three things: Location, Location, Location.
Maybe… just maybe… micros get a bad name because of the location the majority are placed.

Though I still like the ol’ ammo box in the woods, there have been some very good micros – in the woods, and usually wearing a clever disguise.
Take for example, some of Grizzflyer’s “Fake Out� caches. Simply excellent. And who can forget “Let the Madness Begin�… I still twitch when I think of that cache.

The real difference is, my whole family can relax and enjoy geocaching when hunting for a cache that doesn’t put you on public display.
I can’t remember a single time that we had fun standing in a busy parking lot lifting lamp skirts. Same goes for a regular sized cache. If the location is all wrong, the cache is just… bad.

My opinion on the Good Dog cache – this is somewhat secluded, but if there is a better hiding technique or hiding spot nearby, make the change if it makes the cache better.

Besides, it’s missing a bungee cord… :lol:
GizmoGuy411
Uber Level Poster (2k - 2999 posts)

Post by GizmoGuy411 »

Bravo Cachemeister! Well stated!
SuchaNana

Post by SuchaNana »

Yogi57 wrote:I'd looked around and found it and here's the link: Hiding your First Cache by Good Dog
thank you Yogi, i'll be reading it in the morn...gnight all...
SuchaNana...Life is STILL an Adventure...