State wildlife areas

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

augies
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

State wildlife areas

Post by augies »

I recently placed a cache in a state wildlife area and then had my cache archived. I was told I had to get permission first. This is a beautiful location with a nice hike that I would like everyone to see. My question is, has anyone gotten permission from the ODNR to place a cache in a wildlife area? If so fill me in on how to approach this obviously touchy subject..thanks in advance....augies
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

The policy on the front page dictates what the ODNR allows.

They do not currently allow PHYSICAL caches in state wildlife areas. I would suggest making this a virtual cache - perhaps a multi part cache to take them around the park?

Jason
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
GoodDog
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Post by GoodDog »

Let me guess. La Suan area? I had a cache there also, and it was archived. I had email discussions with the ODNR. They tried to be helpful, but they are constrained because they take money from the Feds, and have to follow their guidelines, even if they don't make sense. I asked why you could watch birds, hike, and hunt anywhere you wanted, almost, but not hunt caches. I even proposed that I require that the geocacher shoot the cache box as part of the find. :mrgreen: They know their policies don't make sense. To make it worse, Groundspeak isn't allowing virtuals now, so that avenue is closed.
jslagle
Ninja Rabbit

Post by jslagle »

Actually, virtuals ARE being allowed, but only where physicals aren't - This is a prime example.

You have a couple of options:

1) Make the cache a virtual - To do this, you are going to have to follow the guidelines laid out
here. The site SHOULD qualify if you can find an object of interest since a physical is now allowed.

2) Make the stop a part of a multi-cache, and make the physical cache lie in an area where they can be placed.

3) Contact the ODNR, and find out if you can place a logbook at the facility if they have a manned facility on site - The geocacher could then goto the location, and then goto the office to sign the logbook, telling about what they saw.
--
Jason Slagle
Official geek of nwogeo :D
Ranger510
Infrequent Poster (1 - 49 posts)

Post by Ranger510 »

You can not put a physical cache in a wildlife area, but what if you made a wildlife area part of a multi and placed a final physical off of their property onto nearby property where you have permission.
ScouterJoe
Super Level Poster (1k - 1999 posts)

Re: State wildlife areas

Post by ScouterJoe »

That would be similar to the cache at the toledo zoo.