Wood County Parks permits

Discussion of geocaching land use

Moderator: Steering Committee

Chaenorrhinum
Moderate Poster (50 - 99 posts)

Wood County Parks permits

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

The folks at Wood County Parks are transferring the geocaching permit oversight from their rangers to their naturalists. Our new contact there is Craig Spicer. He'd like me to remind everyone who owns caches in Wood County Parks that your permit expires the end of each calendar year, and you need to resubmit if you want to leave the cache out.

Other Wood County Parks news:
• There is no longer a "ground level" requirement, so we can hide wheelchair-friendly caches
• The "no metal container" rule is non-negotiable. No metal.
• Zimmerman School is being moved up to Carter Farm this winter. Craig is going to try to change the coordinates on the virtual there, but there is some uncertainty about whether Groundspeak allows that. If you're into collecting virtuals, old caches, or historic sites, you might put that one on your short list.
• Craig is also considering requiring (and providing) official stickers for larger caches (micros would be allowed an exception). He asked for my opinion - I have none, personally. If you have thoughts on that, let me know and I will relay them. Or you could email him yourself, if you'd prefer.
PBZ
Frequent Poster (200 - 499 posts)

Re: Wood County Parks permits

Post by PBZ »

Drift away got its official permit number: 1

As for stickers, drift away could require several per year. It has a history of drifting away when the river floods in the spring. I try to time it to allow maximum play but sometimes wait slightly too long. There is also usually a muggling around walleye season.
Chaenorrhinum

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

AFAIK, I didn't get an official number for "SET down some roots" but it is also an earth cache, so...

I did suggest to Craig that the numbers be hand-written instead of preprinted so a cache didn't get renumbered just because it needed a new sticker.

I have some seine twine - we could keep Drift Away from, well, drifting away...
Chaenorrhinum

Post by Chaenorrhinum »

Heard from Craig today - and was issued Permit #2 :)

They're dropping the sticker idea. Each cache will get a permit number that should appear in the description. And don't make cache container that look like bombs...